Advertisement

Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Starlord » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:54 am

Jude Terror wrote:
Daredevil is possessed by demons, becomes a bad guy, heroes team up and stop him. Now you're caught up.


The sad part is that's pretty much it for a story that has gone on over a year now. Decompression, how I love ya! :lol:
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 am

Jude Terror wrote:
Daredevil is possessed by demons, becomes a bad guy, heroes team up and stop him. Now you're caught up.


Still not interested though!

I'll try to Byrne it though. No way am I shelling out cash for that.
Image

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15830
Likes: 151 posts
Liked in: 190 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:11 pm

To call this issue beautiful is a massive understatement. I don't know if there is a better visual story teller working in comics today or ever with the skills J.H. Williams has. This isn't my first rodeo with him having read Promethea, 6 issues of Desolation Jones(Warren Ellis sucks now) and the League of Batmen story and of course his previous work on Batwoman. He really is just that damn good. He has the rare ability to be both dark and vivid on the same page. He needs very little help on the art side of the book and Amy Reeder is a good way to speed him up considering I expect this book to suffer from massive delays.

What Williams does need though is help writing. Didn't Dick know Kane was Batwoman? Did he not keep the files updated? it really took bruce that long to figure it out? The book is very short on story and dialogue and I realize that's not what it's about. It's supposed to be an introduction to the character and that's fine but please progress her a little.

And of course just so twaty mctwat face feels a sense of self there is even mention of her being a buxom lipstick lesbian in the form of her, "Being discharged from the military under don't ask, don't tell." Yup there you go twat face. It really markets it self as a big old bull dyke.

7
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Zero
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9208
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 53 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Frozen North
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Batwoman #0

JH Williams takes sole control of Batwoman's adventures, and brings two other people with him. Wait, what?

There's not a lot of story to review here, but I still managed to find a nit to pick at in the form of Batman's narration. I like the idea, and I like the way the character is set up so nicely I just don't like that the narration seems to be trying rather hard to justify a character that doesn't need it. Batman seems very taken with Kate Kane's methods and abilities and considering how much crap he usually gives to people he lets into the Batfamily, the free ride he's given this stranger feels really out of character here. The Batwoman portrayed in this story is a little too perfect for my taste.

The art however is just perfect enough. God damn. I have no idea how anyone can have their art on the same page as JH Williams but Amy Reeder Hadley pulls it off ably. Stunning layouts from two amazing artists give me nothing to complain about in the art apart from there not being enough of it.

Greg Rucka wrote a few solid Batwoman stories before, but the art has always been the real draw with this character and that remains here. I'd love to see the writing kicked up a notch to match, but when you're this good looking I guess you don't need so much more.

7

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42605
Likes: 131 posts
Liked in: 142 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby nietoperz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:52 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:And of course just so twaty mctwat face feels a sense of self there is even mention of her being a buxom lipstick lesbian in the form of her, "Being discharged from the military under don't ask, don't tell." Yup there you go twat face. It really markets it self as a big old bull dyke.


Yoni, knock it off please. This is entirely unnecessary: you may not like Punchy or his opinions, but this level of personal attack is really not at all called for.
Image

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15830
Likes: 151 posts
Liked in: 190 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Yoni, knock it off please. This is entirely unnecessary: you may not like Punchy or his opinions, but this level of personal attack is really not at all called for.


What personal attack? I mentioned no names. I was talking about the marketing department of DC.

Also Punchy is on ignore so it's not like I'll be commenting on what ever he thinks is about him.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Punchy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:00 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
What personal attack? I mentioned no names. I was talking about the marketing department of DC.

Also Punchy is on ignore so it's not like I'll be commenting on what ever he thinks is about him.


You keep digging that hole a little deeper.

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12257
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 28 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Can't we all just get along? :smt102
Image

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42605
Likes: 131 posts
Liked in: 142 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby nietoperz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:04 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
What personal attack? I mentioned no names. I was talking about the marketing department of DC.

Also Punchy is on ignore so it's not like I'll be commenting on what ever he thinks is about him.


Please don't treat me like an idiot Yoni: you know I'm not. Just accept that the comments were uncalled-for and move on.
Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Punchy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:04 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Can't we all just get along? :smt102


Obviously not if you have the temerity of disagreeing with Yoni.

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15830
Likes: 151 posts
Liked in: 190 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Please don't treat me like an idiot Yoni: you know I'm not. Just accept that the comments were uncalled-for and move on.

Have I said anything else?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Flynn the Pirate
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 2023
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:59 am


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Batwoman #0
Writer:
J.H. Williams III and J. Haden Blackman
Art: J.H. Williams III, Amy Reeder, Richard Friend, and Dave Stewart

To say that the last major appearance of Batwoman, Elegy, made an impression on people is kind of like saying that Yao Ming and Shaquille O'Neal are kind of tall. In other words, it would be a serious understatement. So when it was announced that Batwoman would finally be getting her own stand-alone series instead of piggy-backing in Detective Comics, there was much jubilation throughout the land.

Then it was announced that Greg Rucka, the man who wrote the aforementioned story, would not be involved in the writing of the new series and many, including myself, were suddenly left in doubt as to the future of this character that seemingly come from nowhere to be a tour de force in the world of Gotham City.

Then came the announcement that J.H. Williams III, the artist behind Elegy, was announced as the man who would be writing the new series and... well, I can't speak for other Batwoman fans, but for myself, I was left dubious. Yeah, the man is a magician when it comes to artwork, but can he write?

So this brings us to Batwoman #0, an issue clearly designed to bring new readers up to speed on the character (or at least enough to be able to jump in) and also a chance to see just what Williams can do without Rucka's writing. The answer? Somewhat surprising.

The newly returned Bruce Wayne is scoping Kate Kane out to determine if she is, in fact, Batwoman and whether or not she has a place in his new Batman Incorporated scheme. This takes the form of following her and her family using various disguises, as well as watching her do battle with her long-time enemies in the Religion of Crime. In much the same way as was done during the Bruce Wayne: The Road Home series of one-shots, he gives a point-by-point analysis of Kate, her motivations, and her performance. While acknowledging that she is not exactly the same as himself or any of the heroes that he had a direct hand in training, she is nonetheless more than capable of performing her mission.

At this point, the most outstanding element of this issue needs to be addressed: the artwork. Anyone who read Elegy knew that Williams more than had the chops to make this book look pretty, but even knowing what you are in for does not necessitate being unable to appreciate just how great something is. Williams in on his game in both the Batwoman and the Kate Kane scenes, with some help from Amy Reeder and Richard Friend to help bring some distinguishing between the two angles. But again, it's all about Williams and his layouts. The man can do things with a page that very few others can do and certainly not many working today.

Now that the elephant in the room is out of the way, there's the small matter of the story. Now, as I alluded to above, going into this I wasn't entirely convinced that Williams was going to be able to pull this off as a writer. And at the end of the day, I'm still not. While the story was entertaining and his juxtaposition of Bruce's following of her both in her role as Kate Kane and as Batwoman was well-executed, it didn't strike me as really selling anything. And to be blunt: this was a new-reader intro issue. Frankly, it didn't seem like anything in this issue would have been that difficult to mess up. I'm still unsure.

So at the end of the day, this is a gorgeous book. One of the best-looking books I've seen all year. But I'm still not 100% sold on whether or not the man responsible for that art can also carry the writing load, even with the assistance of a co-writer.

Art: 9.9 out of 10
Story: 6.8 out of 10
Overall Score: 8.35 out of 10

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Did Thanksgiving affect the shipping schedule this week? Do I have to wait until Thursday for Supergod #5, AKA the only comic worth buying next week?
Image

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15830
Likes: 151 posts
Liked in: 190 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Duck Punch wrote:Batwoman #0
Writer:
J.H. Williams III and J. Haden Blackman
Art: J.H. Williams III, Amy Reeder, Richard Friend, and Dave Stewart

To say that the last major appearance of Batwoman, Elegy, made an impression on people is kind of like saying that Yao Ming and Shaquille O'Neal are kind of tall. In other words, it would be a serious understatement. So when it was announced that Batwoman would finally be getting her own stand-alone series instead of piggy-backing in Detective Comics, there was much jubilation throughout the land.

Then it was announced that Greg Rucka, the man who wrote the aforementioned story, would not be involved in the writing of the new series and many, including myself, were suddenly left in doubt as to the future of this character that seemingly come from nowhere to be a tour de force in the world of Gotham City.

Then came the announcement that J.H. Williams III, the artist behind Elegy, was announced as the man who would be writing the new series and... well, I can't speak for other Batwoman fans, but for myself, I was left dubious. Yeah, the man is a magician when it comes to artwork, but can he write?

So this brings us to Batwoman #0, an issue clearly designed to bring new readers up to speed on the character (or at least enough to be able to jump in) and also a chance to see just what Williams can do without Rucka's writing. The answer? Somewhat surprising.

The newly returned Bruce Wayne is scoping Kate Kane out to determine if she is, in fact, Batwoman and whether or not she has a place in his new Batman Incorporated scheme. This takes the form of following her and her family using various disguises, as well as watching her do battle with her long-time enemies in the Religion of Crime. In much the same way as was done during the Bruce Wayne: The Road Home series of one-shots, he gives a point-by-point analysis of Kate, her motivations, and her performance. While acknowledging that she is not exactly the same as himself or any of the heroes that he had a direct hand in training, she is nonetheless more than capable of performing her mission.

At this point, the most outstanding element of this issue needs to be addressed: the artwork. Anyone who read Elegy knew that Williams more than had the chops to make this book look pretty, but even knowing what you are in for does not necessitate being unable to appreciate just how great something is. Williams in on his game in both the Batwoman and the Kate Kane scenes, with some help from Amy Reeder and Richard Friend to help bring some distinguishing between the two angles. But again, it's all about Williams and his layouts. The man can do things with a page that very few others can do and certainly not many working today.

Now that the elephant in the room is out of the way, there's the small matter of the story. Now, as I alluded to above, going into this I wasn't entirely convinced that Williams was going to be able to pull this off as a writer. And at the end of the day, I'm still not. While the story was entertaining and his juxtaposition of Bruce's following of her both in her role as Kate Kane and as Batwoman was well-executed, it didn't strike me as really selling anything. And to be blunt: this was a new-reader intro issue. Frankly, it didn't seem like anything in this issue would have been that difficult to mess up. I'm still unsure.

So at the end of the day, this is a gorgeous book. One of the best-looking books I've seen all year. But I'm still not 100% sold on whether or not the man responsible for that art can also carry the writing load, even with the assistance of a co-writer.

Art: 9.9 out of 10
Story: 6.8 out of 10
Overall Score: 8.35 out of 10


Williams writing is definitely the scariest part of this book.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 19977
Likes: 149 posts
Liked in: 240 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Review Group Week #250: BATWOMAN #0

Postby Amoebas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Just realized my weekly Box O Comics is a day delayed. Won't have em til tomorrow. :-(

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrazyScarecrow, FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 142 guests

Advertisement