Advertisement

Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
cornholing.

Here in OH, children are taught to play the cornhole game at a young age.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

Advertisement

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:32 am

I'm not entirely too sure how to review this issue. I've yet to read any issues of this event though I have been interested in it. I do know the main jist of the event, Matt Murdock leading the Hand to crack down on crime, but has turned to the dark side through a possession by a demonic entity, the latter in my opinion being a bit of a cop-out as it would have been a lot more dramatic if it were all Matt, but whatever. As I said, I don't feel like I've the right information to really review this issue but it did seem like a solid story and an interesting aftermath. I'm usually a fan of Andy Diggle and I love the Daredevil character/mythos, so I know I'll be sure checking out this event once collected. What did turn me off from the event initially was the promise that it would be self-contained in one/two books only for a crap load of tie-ins to be presented.

But anywho, the writing itself seem solid and the art was very well nice to look at. The line works and the moody coloring added a great tone and texture to the book and the people inhabiting this world. You did get the sense that everyone in fact did pull from an exhausting battle while they're struggling to get back up and pull themselves together. The main thing I was more concerned about, though, was the introduction of T'Challa, the Black Panther. He's already making himself right at home and telling me to pick up the next issue when it comes out. :-D

7/10
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:26 pm

No extra money in the budget again this week. Hopefully next week I'll be able to participate.

Thank you Troy for the sig

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:37 pm

lame*

*I think if you have a lame excuse you should pm BS and keep your lameness private.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:46 pm

Read the comic this afternoon, but it was pretty mediocre, I'll try and work up the energy to throw a review up after some food and drying off.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:15 pm

This was everything I thought it would be, which was very little. However, who can review the epilogue to a story they haven't read and find much more to talk about? Totally needed the Bruce Banner music from the old Hulk TV show at the end there, when Matt gets on the bus in the middle of nowhere.

Andy Diggle was initially marketed as a Vertigo writer in the same vein as Mark Millar's and Grant Morrison's early stuff there, but I've never been blown away by anything I've read that he's written. Happy to say the art was a different story, the reason my score stays above a flat 5 is that I very much liked what I saw!

NOTE TO BLUESTREAK: Isn't this an unnecessary holdover from last week? From the OP:
Daredevil #512
selected by fourthman (but not really)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:This was everything I thought it would be, which was very little. However, who can review the epilogue to a story they haven't read and find much more to talk about? Totally needed the Bruce Banner music from the old Hulk TV show at the end there, when Matt gets on the bus in the middle of nowhere.

Andy Diggle was initially marketed as a Vertigo writer in the same vein as Mark Millar's and Grant Morrison's early stuff there, but I've never been blown away by anything I've read that he's written. Happy to say the art was a different story, the reason my score stays above a flat 5 is that I very much liked what I saw!

NOTE TO BLUESTREAK: Isn't this an unnecessary holdover from last week? From the OP:

:smt102 :smt102 :wink:

God-Man
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Postby God-Man » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 pm

As an epilogue to the Shadowland event, Daredevil #512 was perfectly serviceable. I read the Daredevil books leading into the event, and this issue was in line quality wise with those stories. It was a lot of setup for the new status quo for next month and beyond. Black Panther makes his presence known, The Kingpin finally takes control of the Hand, and everyone wonders where the hell Daredevil is. But two moments stood out to me.

One was when Foggy decided to still stand by Matt in the ruins of their law office. I think its nice that in the midst of all this turmoil that he's still willing to give Matt a chance and to help him despite all he did. I mean, Matt was possessed by The Beast so he can't be responsible for what he did right? Well, not exactly, which leads me to the other standout moment: Matt Murdock getting off a bus and walking away from his old life.

I was struck by how he took responsibility for killing Bullseye as he walked towards an unknown future. It's good that everything he did won't be swept under the rug, but it also fits his personality. He's been tortured so long, and this is yet another burden he'll have to carry. Now, while he's owning up to that murder, it's not like he's turning himself in for his crimes. Matt's still running away, refusing to face the friends and allies he betrayed and to submit himself to the justice system he fought so hard to uphold. That will come later. But for now: Roadtrip!!

http://www.jorellrivera.com

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 565 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Who to pick? Who to pick?

ImageBooster Gold - Love it but no.
ImageDC X-mas Special - nah.
ImageMarvel X-mas Special - Really nah!
ImageJL: Next Generation - I did that last time
ImageREBELS. - best book no one is reading this week - but nope. Still not the one.

It's been over four years since this title's only review (issues #54) so with it's 100th issue, next week, it's time to rediscover...

Fables.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Pick the Rebels one! :shock:
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Isn't Fables #100 like 10 bucks? Don't we have a price limit or something?

Either way I won't be reviewing it, but I'm sure someone tried to pick a high-priced book before, and they were vetoed.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Isn't Fables #100 like 10 bucks? Don't we have a price limit or something?

Either way I won't be reviewing it, but I'm sure someone tried to pick a high-priced book before, and they were vetoed.

Yep, its 10 bucks.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Greg wrote:
Yep, its 10 bucks.

Ouch.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:Isn't Fables #100 like 10 bucks? Don't we have a price limit or something?

Punch is right. Fables #100 is ten dollars, which is above our price mark.

Before we get into what I'm sure will be a fun and rousing arguement amongst the group about the price limit and the general grumpiness that surrounds high priced books, were you aware of the high price point, Ameobas? And if you weren't, would you consider changing your pick?

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Price limit or no, I trade wait on Fables so I won't even be clicking on the thread if it's the pick. Sorry Amoebas!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand