Advertisement

Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16326
Likes: 285 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Daredevil? More like shit devil. This was a seriously dumb comic. Granted I walked into in the last 10 minutes of what sounds like a dumb movie but the whole thing just sounds bad and the art is still bad fake Maleev.

3
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35131
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:06 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Daredevil? More like shit devil. This was a seriously dumb comic. Granted I walked into in the last 10 minutes of what sounds like a dumb movie but the whole thing just sounds bad and the art is still bad fake Maleev.

3



You are wacked! It was no where near that bad. Damn, dude, you gave it a Grant Morrison rating! That's not right. :smt011
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby ****** » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Daredevil #512

"You must read Shadowland #5 before reading this issue."

Understatement.

After Bru left Daredevil, I read Diggle's first couple of issues and promptly abandoned ship. After reading the recap in this issue, clearly skipping Shadowland and it's multitude of tie-ins and spin-offs was the right call.

Seeing as this was an epilogue for something I hadn't read, this was straight up boring. Sure there were lots of great characters in it, but apart from tinges of nostalgia from Bru's run it didn't do anything to make me interested or care. Yes, yes, in the dark Daredevil and Black Panther have similar costumes, very clever. Yawn. Somebody wake me when they reboot Daredevil and retcon Diggle out of existence. Also as a courtesy could I get a warning before I have to read another Antony Johnston scripted comic? That dude made even Queen and Country boring.

Marco Checchetto's art in this was pretty awesome. I don't think I had seen any of his stuff and I was pleasantly surprised. Had it been uncolored art I probably would have scored it somewhere in the 9 area. Mostly Matt Hollingsworth's colors in this were good, but there are panels that just took me right out of the book. (i.e. anytime there was smoke or the lighting effects on BP)

Story: 2
Art: 8
Overall: 4

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 77448
Likes: 717 posts
Liked in: 1173 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Daredevil 512 review

I read Shadowland, and also the delightfully awful Shadowland: Moon Knight book (which would have been a much better book for us to review), so I didn't go into this with any handicap.

What struck me most about this book was how uninterested I was in any of the storylines. I could have read none of Shadowland, and I didn't read any of Diggle's run other than it, or Brubaker's run, or Bendis's, or Smith's. Yet, I had no problem following what was going on with all of these characters. Why? Because they've gone through no fundamental changes since I was a kid, or if they have, they've come full circle. DC Comics would call this "iconic," but I call it lack of progress.

The only storyline I'm interested in here is Black Panther's, and that has nothing to do with Daredevil. I gave this book a shot with the big event, and was unimpressed. However, please more from the creative team of Shadowland: Moon Knight.

Absolutely Average. 5/5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16326
Likes: 285 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Daredevil 512 review

I read Shadowland, and also the delightfully awful Shadowland: Moon Knight book (which would have been a much better book for us to review), so I didn't go into this with any handicap.

What struck me most about this book was how uninterested I was in any of the storylines. I could have read none of Shadowland, and I didn't read any of Diggle's run other than it, or Brubaker's run, or Bendis's, or Smith's. Yet, I had no problem following what was going on with all of these characters. Why? Because they've gone through no fundamental changes since I was a kid, or if they have, they've come full circle. DC Comics would call this "iconic," but I call it lack of progress.

The only storyline I'm interested in here is Black Panther's, and that has nothing to do with Daredevil. I gave this book a shot with the big event, and was unimpressed. However, please more from the creative team of Shadowland: Moon Knight.

Absolutely Average. 5/5


You know that means 5 out of 5 right?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16326
Likes: 285 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:10 pm

starlord wrote:

You are wacked! It was no where near that bad. Damn, dude, you gave it a Grant Morrison rating! That's not right. :smt011


It definitely was. And part of it is definitely coming into the last chapter of a shitty long term 30 issue story. So much for being a street level story...involving demons...
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12268
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 am

My only question: How did this get more reviews than Batwoman #0?

(Cue the drama....now!)
Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 77448
Likes: 717 posts
Liked in: 1173 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:44 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
You know that means 5 out of 5 right?


Give me a break, I typed that shit on my phone. :x 5/10

Greg
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 22143
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 4 posts
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:17 pm
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby Greg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:38 am

BlueStreak wrote:My only question: How did this get more reviews than Batwoman #0?

(Cue the drama....now!)


People love to buy books that can waste money and complain and trash about while good books are left to suffer.

/Greg'd
Image
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12268
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:39 am

Jude Terror wrote:
Give me a break, I typed that shit on my phone. :x 5/10


No worries. I used context clues to figure out what was what.
Image

GHERU
User avatar


YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 39743
Likes: 312 posts
Liked in: 484 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 am

BlueStreak wrote:My only question: How did this get more reviews than Batwoman #0?

(Cue the drama....now!)

already on pull lists?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Image

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12268
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 am

Greg wrote:
People love to buy books that can waste money and complain and trash about while good books are left to suffer.

/Greg'd


Yeah, more of the "non-regulars" came out for this book than Batwoman. Granted, both were in double digits (we're slowly building toward the first of my three goals for Review Group!).

Here's the crazy thing. Daredevil has (and I'm doing this by memory so it might be off by a digit or two) 16 reviews so far which puts it as the most reviewed book since Nemesis #3. Batwoman had fourteen, which is still a solid amount of reviews. However, the amount of Daredevil reviews doubles the amounts of American Vampire and Hellboy, both of which are highly acclaimed books and indy books that I thought were pretty well circulated.
Image

GHERU
User avatar


YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 39743
Likes: 312 posts
Liked in: 484 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Yeah, more of the "non-regulars" came out for this book than Batwoman. Granted, both were in double digits (we're slowly building toward the first of my three goals for Review Group!).

Here's the crazy thing. Daredevil has (and I'm doing this by memory so it might be off by a digit or two) 16 reviews so far which puts it as the most reviewed book since Nemesis #3. Batwoman had fourteen, which is still a solid amount of reviews. However, the amount of Daredevil reviews doubles the amounts of American Vampire and Hellboy, both of which are highly acclaimed books and indy books that I thought were pretty well circulated.

wait for trade? same reason that Fables 100 (if not too expensive) would have less reviews than one would assume
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Image

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12268
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:03 am

GHERU wrote:wait for trade? same reason that Fables 100 (if not too expensive) would have less reviews than one would assume


Good possibility for that, especially with Hellboy. I'm not criticizing by any means. I understand money concerns, trade waiting and all that jazz. (I'm about to make a hefty cut into my pull list due to budget realignment and the realization that there's some stuff I'm just not enjoying anymore) I guess I overestimated the draw of certain books, especially American Vampire, which I thought was generally believed to be one of the best books on the stands today. The Spreadsheet of Doom reveals a lot.

I'm also interested to see how this coming week's pick goes. I'm hoping we maintain our double digit streak.
Image

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:11 am

BlueStreak wrote:My only question: How did this get more reviews than Batwoman #0?

(Cue the drama....now!)


Principles.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], TurnitinBot [Bot] and 47 guests

Advertisement