Advertisement

Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:14 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Yeah, more of the "non-regulars" came out for this book than Batwoman. Granted, both were in double digits (we're slowly building toward the first of my three goals for Review Group!).

Here's the crazy thing. Daredevil has (and I'm doing this by memory so it might be off by a digit or two) 16 reviews so far which puts it as the most reviewed book since Nemesis #3. Batwoman had fourteen, which is still a solid amount of reviews. However, the amount of Daredevil reviews doubles the amounts of American Vampire and Hellboy, both of which are highly acclaimed books and indy books that I thought were pretty well circulated.

People are cunts with bad taste in comics, I just had too much going on to review those weeks.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 400 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:17 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Good possibility for that, especially with Hellboy. I'm not criticizing by any means. I understand money concerns, trade waiting and all that jazz. (I'm about to make a hefty cut into my pull list due to budget realignment and the realization that there's some stuff I'm just not enjoying anymore) I guess I overestimated the draw of certain books, especially American Vampire, which I thought was generally believed to be one of the best books on the stands today. The Spreadsheet of Doom reveals a lot.

I'm also interested to see how this coming week's pick goes. I'm hoping we maintain our double digit streak.

Verigo, especially because of the (normal) $9.99 first volume has become a major WFT imprint, at least according to the internet. Add to that the fact that the AV book that was picked was the middle of a storyline and its easy to see why it was skipped by many.
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:18 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
People are cunts with bad taste in comics, I just had too much going on to review those weeks.

:lol:
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 am

GHERU wrote:Verigo, especially because of the (normal) $9.99 first volume has become a major WFT imprint, at least according to the internet. Add to that the fact that the AV book that was picked was the middle of a storyline and its easy to see why it was skipped by many.

All good points.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 am

I think Vertigo has given up on the $9.99 first trade thing. AV had that hardcover v1 and iZombie's v1 trade was solicited at $15. :x

The low number of reviews for AV week was probably a result of it being mid-arc and lacking name creators.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Yeah, more of the "non-regulars" came out for this book than Batwoman. Granted, both were in double digits (we're slowly building toward the first of my three goals for Review Group!).

Here's the crazy thing. Daredevil has (and I'm doing this by memory so it might be off by a digit or two) 16 reviews so far which puts it as the most reviewed book since Nemesis #3. Batwoman had fourteen, which is still a solid amount of reviews. However, the amount of Daredevil reviews doubles the amounts of American Vampire and Hellboy, both of which are highly acclaimed books and indy books that I thought were pretty well circulated.

Exactly what I said would happen. People refuse to try new books in a group where the whole point is to try new books and when it comes to picking, there's a contingent of folks who just pick whatever they are already reading without regard to how accessible it's going to be to people not following the book already.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 am

John Snow wrote:I think Vertigo has given up on the $9.99 first trade thing. AV had that hardcover v1 and iZombie's v1 trade was solicited at $15. :x

The low number of reviews for AV week was probably a result of it being mid-arc and lacking name creators.

I knew AV did that, but I did not know about Zombie
shame

its all good though, I still have my single issues
RUviews

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 am

GHERU wrote:I knew AV did that, but I did not know about Zombie
shame

its all good though, I still have my single issues

If something isn't done to bolster sales of the monthlies, there aren't going to be many trades so good for you.

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:50 am

Victorious Squid wrote:
If something isn't done to bolster sales of the monthlies, there aren't going to be many trades so good for you.

It's at 14k. Vertigo books usually have to drop below 6 to be in trouble.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 am

John Snow wrote:

Of which book we were discussing? But I was speaking of Vertigo books in general anyway, as I am sure that's part of why the $9.99 price point on trades is going away.

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:58 am

Victorious Squid wrote:
Of which book we were discussing?

iZombie, which has had a fairly decent launch.

But I was speaking of Vertigo books in general anyway, as I am sure that's part of why the $9.99 price point on trades is going away.

They haven't had a $1 first issue in a while either.

With Vertigo's lack of new series to replace the stuff that's ended/been canceled, it's possible that they're already consciously cutting back on the imprint. Air, Unknown Soldier and Greek Street are gone. DMZ and Jack of Fables are right behind them. What is that, a third of the line?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:03 am

John Snow wrote:
iZombie, which has had a fairly decent launch.

They haven't had a $1 first issue in a while either.

With Vertigo's lack of new series to replace the stuff that's ended/been canceled, it's possible that they're already consciously cutting back on the imprint. Air, Unknown Soldier and Greek Street are gone. DMZ and Jack of Fables are right behind them. What is that, a third of the line?

I know, that's what I surmise/guess and that combined with the editorial people let go and the restructuring over-all is worrying. The dearth of Vertigo books out each month is very noticeable, I agree.

Problem here is I'm not into some of them, and I can't get caught up with Scalped fast enough to buy monthy.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

John Snow wrote:They haven't had a $1 first issue in a while either.

what was vertigo's last #1?
I can only think of 3 in 2010 (IZombie, AV, Daytripper) and all of them were over $1 (i think)
RUviews

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 am

John Snow wrote:

Sadly we don't know what Vertigo's new standards are. The new Corporate Structure at DC Entertainment has yet to be established, and I would bet you that's coming with a new threshold, titles like DMZ (which is ending next year) and Scalped will probably get grandfathered in, but IZombie is far too young to enjoy such benefits.

Hell, the fact that IZombie isn't going to benefit from the "ease of entry" Price Point of $9.99 is something that raises eyebrows. This is going to have to compete with Morning Glories that'll be released for $9.99 (plus released in such a manner that catching up will be possible), and the result of that competition may not work out for Vertigo.

Why do I have this BAD feeling that IZombie might get Unknown Soldier'd?

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:14 am

GHERU wrote:what was vertigo's last #1?
I can only think of 3 in 2010 (IZombie, AV, Daytripper) and all of them were over $1 (i think)

iZombie and Joe the Barbarian were both $1.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand