Advertisement

Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: Review Group Week #251: DAREDEVIL #512

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
Fresh meat never lasts.

I lasted. :oops:

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Punchy wrote:How has a Daredevil thread become about Vertigo?

Because there are only so many ways to call something boring and shitty?

At least talk about Diggle's work for the imprint!

I liked the Losers movie, I'd buy the trades but I've yet to find nice used copies.

Green Arrow: Year One was good but that was 99% Jock and not Vertigo.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
Didn't like his Swamp Thing.

The Losers was awesome, as was his Hellblazer.

His new Vertigo Crime OGN also looks good.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:57 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
I lasted. :oops:

And seized the crown, so lesson is watch out for those guys who do.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
Fresh meat never lasts.

IMO there are a number of reasons for this
1 - Price, I know may regulars don't like those who don't read new books since that is the point of the thread, but it is difficult to justify buying new books if the concept / character / writer don't interest people - example, Superboy - I hate the character and think that Parker is completely overrated.
2 - Mail Order - now, even if I thought that the risk of reading Superboy was worth $3 (I have no idea) I have to weigh that against going to the crappy LSC near me to pay cover price for a book I don't really want to read
3 - Drama - if I think a new book is worth the money to buy it and time to go get it I have to decide if all of that is worth wading through the drama that permeates these threads (this may or may not be a fair generalization, this week has been very good so far and yes,I know that I have, in the past, caused drama) to find reviews to comment on.

sometimes, as with Batwoman it is worth it, but most of the time it really isn't. At least for me, and thats why I will probably never have a good streak
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 pm

GHERU wrote:IMO there are a number of reasons for this
1 - Price, I know may regulars don't like those who don't read new books since that is the point of the thread, but it is difficult to justify buying new books if the concept / character / writer don't interest people - example, Superboy - I hate the character and think that Parker is completely overrated.
2 - Mail Order - now, even if I thought that the risk of reading Superboy was worth $3 (I have no idea) I have to weigh that against going to the crappy LSC near me to pay cover price for a book I don't really want to read
3 - Drama - if I think a new book is worth the money to buy it and time to go get it I have to decide if all of that is worth wading through the drama that permeates these threads (this may or may not be a fair generalization, this week has been very good so far and yes,I know that I have, in the past, caused drama) to find reviews to comment on.

sometimes, as with Batwoman it is worth it, but most of the time it really isn't. At least for me, and thats why I will probably never have a good streak

Just out of curiousity, any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm not looking to reinvent things but I'm down to look on how to better the process. Also, which crappy LCS do you go to? I'm from the Akron area, so I'm curious if it's the one I'm thinking of.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:16 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Just out of curiousity, any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm not looking to reinvent things but I'm down to look on how to better the process. Also, which crappy LCS do you go to? I'm from the Akron area, so I'm curious if it's the one I'm thinking of.

can't fix price, but the limit helps and mail order is just something I have to deal with
as to the drama, I don't really see a way to fix it beyond people (and yes, I still know that I have to work on it too) getting over themselves. The past couple of weeks have been better (due to the ignore function) but its up to people to let shit go. The problem is that the drama seems to be cumulative with one week's building on the last. This tends to get old and kind of comes off as "inside jargon" to new reviewers, who either post a review and leave or just get bored and don't review at all.

again, I don't think you can fix it per-se - but the thread itself needs to grow up....just a bit

I go to JC Comics and Cards - the people are nice enough, they just have a very limited stock and don't offer pull list discounts. I've been to Kenmroe Komics, but its really far away from me. I also, out of desperation, once went to a pawn shop that also sold comics, that was.....weird

I must say, for your first two (?) weeks I can't see anything to complain about from your end
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

GHERU wrote:IMO there are a number of reasons for this

Hey, I agree, I have to deal with all that stuff too. Except I still think besides you and one or two others, the drama thing is overstated by people who don't even read comics or would ever contribute. Or who argue with Punchy in other threads themselves, which is generally all any drama consists of anyway.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Maybe I was just right about Batwoman? Didja think about that huh?

:P

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
Hey, I agree, I have to deal with all that stuff too. Except I still think besides you and one or two others, the drama thing is overstated by people who don't even read comics or would ever contribute. Or who argue with Punchy in other threads themselves, which is generally all any drama consists of anyway.

that might be true, and that's why instead of "reviewing and running" I am using this fresh start to hang out in the thread and see whats what and hoping that I am overblowing the situation
RUviews

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Maybe I was just right about Batwoman? Didja think about that huh?

:P

I think only AMS thought about that, and he sounds like another person who might wet himself from fear of lesbians if ever confronted with one in real life.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 pm

GHERU wrote:that might be true, and that's why instead of "reviewing and running" I am using this fresh start to hang out in the thread and see whats what and hoping that I am overblowing the situation

Don't worry then, I'm not going to let Punchy draw me into a 13 page argument over Batwoman. :-D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
I think only AMS thought about that, and he sounds like another person who might wet himself from fear of lesbians if ever confronted with one in real life.

I've met lesbians, I went to University in the Gay capital of the UK, of course I've met lesbians.

Don't try and reduce me down to some kind of bigot when I'm clearly not!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
Don't worry then, I'm not going to let Punchy draw me into a 13 page argument over Batwoman. :-D

Just you try and stop me!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:29 pm

GHERU wrote:can't fix price, but the limit helps and mail order is just something I have to deal with
as to the drama, I don't really see a way to fix it beyond people (and yes, I still know that I have to work on it too) getting over themselves. The past couple of weeks have been better (due to the ignore function) but its up to people to let shit go. The problem is that the drama seems to be cumulative with one week's building on the last. This tends to get old and kind of comes off as "inside jargon" to new reviewers, who either post a review and leave or just get bored and don't review at all.

again, I don't think you can fix it per-se - but the thread itself needs to grow up....just a bit

I go to JC Comics and Cards - the people are nice enough, they just have a very limited stock and don't offer pull list discounts. I've been to Kenmroe Komics, but its really far away from me. I also, out of desperation, once went to a pawn shop that also sold comics, that was.....weird

I must say, for your first two (?) weeks I can't see anything to complain about from your end

The drama is just a concentrated version of the Outhouse drama, but it does occasionally get crazy. Luckily, Punchy and fourthy tend to take each other's commentary in stride, which is the root of a lot of the arguing. Not all of it, but a good chunk of it. (cue Fourthy yelling at me for claiming he causes drama)

Kenmore Komics is closest to my parents' house, but I really don't like it as much as my one down here.

And if anyone ever comes up with a suggestion on how to better the process of Review Group, let me know. I think it's pretty good, but I'll always be down with hearing new ideas out.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand