Advertisement

The Official All-Purpose Fables #100 Thread (Game at 9:30)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

The Official All-Purpose Fables #100 Thread (Game at 9:30)

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:58 pm

In less than 15 Hours from now (give or take, depending on when your store opens), one of the most anticipated and hyped books of the year (at least for the fanbase, anyway) hits the shevles of your favorite LCS. Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for a celebration of epic proportions. It's time for Fables #100, a commemoration that wouldn't be complete without a thread to do it justice. Here's hoping that this OP goes a long way in doing so.

The Full Cover

The Official Solicit wrote:In this fantastic 100-page issue, it's time to put an end to Mister Dark once and for all, and time for the Fables to return home to Fabletown. For that to happen, one of the Fables agrees to take on the Dark Man in single combat! It's big, it's epic, and if you live in New York City, you may want to take a quick vacation when this issue comes out, because things are going to get wrecked!

In addition to the larger-than-life main story, we have a FABLES prose story written by Mark Buckingham and illustrated by Bill Willingham! We have an All-Star Burning Questions section that will knock your socks off (seriously, innocent people are going to lose some socks here). We have a puppet theatre created by the unstoppably creative Mark Buckingham, a FABLES board game, sequential stories painted by Chrissie Zullo and Joao Ruas, and even more surprises in this square-bound behemoth celebrating this award-winning Vertigo series!

FAQ for the Curious

Q: Why is this issue so damn special?
A: Isn't it obvious? Very few books make it big 1-0-0, and whenever a book does, it's cause for at least acknowledgment .

Q: A 100th Issue usually means 2 things, Higher Page Count and Higher Costs. Where does this issue stand in those two areas?
A: Fables #100 will be 100 Pages with a cost of $9.99

Q: $9.99?!? Are you crazy?!? Marvel Releases 104 Page Books for $4.99!!Why is being priced for twice as much?!?
A: A good question that has one simple answer. The Marvel Releases usually have anywhere from 50 - 65% New Material (Spider Man #600 might have been the exception) with the rest being reprints and handbook material, where as Fables #100 will have 100% new material from cover to cover.

Q: Okay, that answers part of the previous question, but I still want to know what's inside of the book?
A: Ask, and you shall receive. Fables #100 will include

- A 62-page lead story written by series creator Bill Willingham, with art by Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha and Andrew Pepoy

- A 10-page prose story written by Mark Buckingham with illustrations by Bill Willingham.

- A set of do-it-yourself FABLES puppet theater illustrated by Mark Buckingham

- A three-page story written by Willingham with art by CINDERELLA artist Chrissie Zullo

- A three-page story written by Willingham with art by Joao Ruas

- A two-page FABLES board game, illustrated by Buckingham, with game rules by Willingham

- Four celebrity “Burning Questions” stories, all written by Willingham, featuring questions from some of your favorite actors who are also FABLES fans! These “Burning Questions” are illustrated by top-flight artists including Adam Hughes, J.H. Williams III and Dave Johnson.

Q: What if I Trade Wait? Should I wait for the trade this issue will be included in?
A: It depends, to be honest. If you're at least curious about the Puppet Theater and The Game Board (or even one of the two), then I take into account as to whether it'll translate to the trade or not. If you don't want to take the chance, I would say pick it up (especially if your LCS offers a membership discount of some sort). Besides there are just some issues you should have for keepsake purposes.

Q: I haven't gotten into Fables yet, is Issue 100 a good place to start
A: I will say this once and once only....NO!!!! Unless you're ready to accept being somewhat confused then I would not start here. In fact, I would use that 10 Dollars to buy Volume 1 (Legends in Exile), and work your way up from there. I will not be responsible if you love Issue 100 and decide to spend 200 dollars to catch up. :D :twisted:

Q: Considering the Intention of this Thread is be "All Purprose", will this serve as the Review Group Spinoff Thread, as well?
A: That's up to BlueStreak. He's the RG Boss, so his blessing will be needed.

Q: Will we try to play "Escape To Wolf Manor" online?
A: Yes! We just need to figure out a time and a way of doing this over the internet.

(Note: Even though most of us will probably have read this book by tomorrow evening, that doesn't mean everyone will have done so. In consideration to those people, I ask everyone to be considerate (this may not end well) and Spoiler-Tag any Non-Review Posts (should we get the okay for reviews) that contain such articles of information, between December 8th NOON EST - December 10th Midnight EST (36 Hour Spoiler Embargo.) Of course, this isn't a hard and fast rule, just a request for those who may not have the chance to read this by 9:15 AM)

Now on with the show!
Last edited by SilverPhoenix on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Advertisement

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

The Official All-Purpose Fables #100 Thread

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm

You have the Review Group's blessing to make this the official spin-off thread.

I'll try to make a note of it in the Review Group thread tomorrow.

vinnypic
Expert Post Whore

Title: UNSTOPPABLE

Re: The Official All-Purpose Fables #100 Thread

Postby vinnypic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:22 am

Is it still awesome? I'm a few trades behind. :smt017

Bow the fuck down.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:01 am

vinnypic wrote:Is it still awesome? I'm a few trades behind. :smt017

the flycatcher story is where it starts to slide but the last arc leading into 100 have made it go back up and fast.

I wont get to read this till january :-(
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 am

I trade wait, and I really don't think I can double dip on a $10 issue like I did last time with Last Castle. Since I know everything is gonna be in the trade I'm gonna have to decide this when I see the damn thing.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:12 am

I just can't justify spending that much on a comic. My Fables spending this month has been the Deluxe edition HC.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 291 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:22 am

Glad this is a spin-off thread.

I've been looking forward to this issue for quite a while.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 am

What does anyone think of Fables ending in the future?

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 am

Always Right wrote:What does anyone think of Fables ending in the future?

I know it's going to end at some point, but I don't think I can imagine a Comic Book Pull List without my monthly fix of Fables. It has been the longest running title on my pull list, and the one title I happily Triple Dip on.

Storyline wise, I just hope that it ends in a much different place then it is now. It seems like the book is slowly transitioning to the Adventures of Bigby and Snow's Cubs, which is something I can't wait to see unfold.

I also wait with extreme anticipation over the debuts of the African and Asian Fables.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 am

I just think that maybe the pinnacle of Fables came before the Great Crossover, and some of the spin-offs have had middling reviews. I'd always rather something bow out gracefully then carry on and I hope Willingham knows when that time is.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:59 am

Always Right wrote:I just think that maybe the pinnacle of Fables came before the Great Crossover, and some of the spin-offs have had middling reviews. I'd always rather something bow out gracefully then carry on and I hope Willingham knows when that time is.

Personally, I think 2010 has gone a long way to restore confidence in the main series. Witches and Rose Red are 5 levels above the previous 3 Volumes (War and Pieces was far too shot, The Dark Ages was bloody Depressing and The Great Fables Crossover seemed to divide the fanbase too sharply). I enjoyed each of those issues, and I think you will, as well. Hopefully enough to see why you enjoyed Fables in the first place

As for the spinoffs, I think the ending of Jack of Fables presents a great opportunity to tell stories in an expansive Universe without diluting the main product. As long as they have the quality of Fabletown with Love, I think we'll be okay in that regard.

The thing I worry about with the length is whether Willingham doesn't say something political that his book can never recover from. It'd be a damn shame if he hemorrhaged fans over something that could be avoided.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 am

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Personally, I think 2010 has gone a long way to restore confidence in the main series. Witches and Rose Red are 5 levels above the previous 3 Volumes (War and Pieces was far too shot, The Dark Ages was bloody Depressing and The Great Fables Crossover seemed to divide the fanbase too sharply). I enjoyed each of those issues, and I think you will, as well. Hopefully enough to see why you enjoyed Fables in the first place

As for the spinoffs, I think the ending of Jack of Fables presents a great opportunity to tell stories in an expansive Universe without diluting the main product. As long as they have the quality of Fabletown with Love, I think we'll be okay in that regard.

The thing I worry about with the length is whether Willingham doesn't say something political that his book can never recover from. It'd be a damn shame if he hemorrhaged fans over something that could be avoided.

In all fairness, it'll be so long before I catch up, it probably would have ended by them. I just love HC's and don't want to double dip :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: The Official All-Purpose Fables #100 Thread (Preview Now

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Wow, this thing is huge.

(waits for Jude...)

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

First Impressions (With Spoilers)

Postby SilverPhoenix » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm

After reading the Issue from Cover to Cover about two times, I can safely say that this comic was not just merely excellent, but as close to perfection as something like this could get. Not only does this story bring to a close the current seasonal arc, but it does things in such a manner that closes off the first 100 Issues as well. With the loss of not just Fabletown, but The Farm as well, a new Status Quo is established. A masterfully main story from start to finish.

Other highlights of this book include.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
The reactivation of Sniper Corps with the standing orders of "Take One Shot and Only One Shot. Then Relocate. The Reacquire The Target. Then Take Another Shot if needed. Repeat as Necessary. Etc, Etc, along with Be Ready to Account Later for each Far Too Expensive Golden Bullet Fired."

Bellflower/Frau Totenkinder's use of Candy Based Weaponry to get rid of Mister Dark's greatest asset his teeth.

Duladan's new Box being a Golden Statue is simply genius for the 5 seconds that ends up working. Poor Hobbes :(

With the Farm's Temporary Abandonment, Haven has now become the last refuge for all Fables, putting everyone in a very precarious situation. A situation that leads to establing 3 new ones.

- The reason why Bigby is searching for a new Fabletown in the Mundane, and the upcoming "Wolves in the Heartland" OGN

- Gepetto getting near his Sacred Grove, once again.

- Mrs. Spratt's hateful side being unleashed by Snow White, which leads her right into Mister Dark's Arms, who promises her heart's desire in beauty, love, and revenge

Beauty and Beast are now the proud parents of a Baby Girl. A Baby Girl who has the traits of both her mother and father. :shock: :-D :-D :D :lol:

As for the side stores highlights included

Speaking of Gepetto, he's got a new weapon to use for his quest for power.

Comics can still be profitable if the labor is free

We learn why Pinocchio is Pinocchio

There are even more highlights within this book, which is an embarrassment of riches in its purest form. Look forward to my Review (by Saturday Night) and Feature (by Sunday Night) on whether this book is worth 10 Bucks or not.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand