Friday, December 9, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Thoughtful analysis of important cultural issues."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week #252: BOOSTER GOLD #39

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:08 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:My review will be up no later than Monday Night, due to the Fables Features. As for my selection, we're down to the Final 3 which consists of.

Conan: The Road of Kings #1
The Suicide Forest #1
Black Panther: Man Without Fear #513

Avengers Academy and Thunderbolts would've been good picks, but they fell a little bit to the wayside due to the natural curiosity that those 3 books have attached to them.

The Final Winner will be picked Sunday Evening.


I'd go with Black Panther.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

I would be happy with 2 of 3 of those, but you already know my pick of the 3 so I won't try to over-sell it.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm

GLX wrote:
I'd go with Black Panther.


Me too, if its either Conan or The Suicide Forest then I think my participation is a little iffy as I'm not sure if my LCS is even going to get any issues of those in. They get Hellboy stuff for their shelves, but it seems like anything else from Dark Horse is either pre-order it or don't expect to see it. Anything from any independant companies is pretty much the same.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I would probably check out Suicide Forest if it was the pick, just saying.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:58 am

All three would be good picks, no bias here.
User avatar

SilverPhoenix

Staff Writer

Postby SilverPhoenix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:33 pm

With a weekend of hype added to my decision, it's time to announce the book we're going to be reviewing. After much self-debate and deliberation the final decision won by less than half of thread. Ladies and Gentlemen, Review Group Week #253 will be taking on......


The Suicide Forest #1

Image

Just outside of Tokyo lies Aokigahara, a vast forest and one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in Japan... which is also the most famous suicide spot in the entire world. Legend has it that the spirits of those many suicides are still roaming-haunting deep in those ancient woods. This series from the creators of the acclaimed The Veil examines the lives of Alan, an average worker from Tokyo and his rather unhealthy relationship with Masami, and Ryoko, a forest ranger who recovers the suicide victim's bodies from the woods. We discover that behind Ryoko's unconcerned surface lies a secret, and these three lives will be forever changed by the darkness waiting for them in the Suicide Forest.


As for Black Panther: Man Without Fear #513, it only lost out by the slimmest of margins, and that was due to the fact that we did Daredevil #512 in Review Group Week 251. Still, if anyone feels inclined (and if BlueStreak approves) we can always do a Spin-Off Thread for that Comic with a bit of a twist that comes in the form of this question to go along with your thoughts.

From what you read in this issue, do you think Marvel can this book can contribute to the raising of T'Challa's profile to where he can be considered part of the "A-List" tier of characters?

With that said, can't wait to see how RG #253 shakes out.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Suicide Forest sounds awesome.
User avatar

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:37 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:With a weekend of hype added to my decision, it's time to announce the book we're going to be reviewing. After much self-debate and deliberation the final decision won by less than half of thread. Ladies and Gentlemen, Review Group Week #253 will be taking on......


The Suicide Forest #1

Image

Just outside of Tokyo lies Aokigahara, a vast forest and one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in Japan... which is also the most famous suicide spot in the entire world. Legend has it that the spirits of those many suicides are still roaming-haunting deep in those ancient woods. This series from the creators of the acclaimed The Veil examines the lives of Alan, an average worker from Tokyo and his rather unhealthy relationship with Masami, and Ryoko, a forest ranger who recovers the suicide victim's bodies from the woods. We discover that behind Ryoko's unconcerned surface lies a secret, and these three lives will be forever changed by the darkness waiting for them in the Suicide Forest.


OOOOOHHHHHHH, this looks promising! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And I loved The Veil.
User avatar

SilverPhoenix

Staff Writer

Postby SilverPhoenix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm glad you guys think this book has a lot of promise.

Greg: I'm deadly serous about the spin-off thread, as well. Once we get the okay, spread the word out and get people to post their views. I really want to see what the pulse is behind Black Panther's latest comic.
User avatar

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:42 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:I'm glad you guys think this book has a lot of promise.

Greg: I'm deadly serous about the spin-off thread, as well. Once we get the okay, spread the word out and get people to post their views. I really want to see what the pulse is behind Black Panther's latest comic.


I'll see what I can do.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm sure suicide forest will have 6 reviews...Is the amber atoms rule still in effect?
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I'm sure suicide forest will have 6 reviews...Is the amber atoms rule still in effect?

it's the Hawk rule, motherfucker!!!
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Good choice, SP, you don't have to worry about the minimum review rule and if the usual people refuse to participate because they don't get to ogle muscle-men in tight-pants for one week out of 10, it'll be no big loss as usual.
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:I'm glad you guys think this book has a lot of promise.

Greg: I'm deadly serous about the spin-off thread, as well. Once we get the okay, spread the word out and get people to post their views. I really want to see what the pulse is behind Black Panther's latest comic.


Spinoff thread is cool with me. I'll shoot an email to David Liss giving him a heads up about it once it goes live too.
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:Good choice, SP, you don't have to worry about the minimum review rule and if the usual people refuse to participate because they don't get to ogle muscle-men in tight-pants for one week out of 10, it'll be no big loss as usual.


The minimum review rule should be fine as long as at least you, me, Greg and SP send in reviews, which we all will.

I was going to send out an email to the writers of Suicide Forest, but their website is in Spanish. :oops: I didn't realize it was a translated comic.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crawley and 50 guests