Advertisement

Review Group Week #252: BOOSTER GOLD #39

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: Review Group Week #252: BOOSTER GOLD #39

Postby GLX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:08 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:My review will be up no later than Monday Night, due to the Fables Features. As for my selection, we're down to the Final 3 which consists of.

Conan: The Road of Kings #1
The Suicide Forest #1
Black Panther: Man Without Fear #513

Avengers Academy and Thunderbolts would've been good picks, but they fell a little bit to the wayside due to the natural curiosity that those 3 books have attached to them.

The Final Winner will be picked Sunday Evening.

I'd go with Black Panther.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

I would be happy with 2 of 3 of those, but you already know my pick of the 3 so I won't try to over-sell it.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm

GLX wrote:
I'd go with Black Panther.

Me too, if its either Conan or The Suicide Forest then I think my participation is a little iffy as I'm not sure if my LCS is even going to get any issues of those in. They get Hellboy stuff for their shelves, but it seems like anything else from Dark Horse is either pre-order it or don't expect to see it. Anything from any independant companies is pretty much the same.

Thank you Troy for the sig

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I would probably check out Suicide Forest if it was the pick, just saying.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:58 am

All three would be good picks, no bias here.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:33 pm

With a weekend of hype added to my decision, it's time to announce the book we're going to be reviewing. After much self-debate and deliberation the final decision won by less than half of thread. Ladies and Gentlemen, Review Group Week #253 will be taking on......

The Suicide Forest #1

Just outside of Tokyo lies Aokigahara, a vast forest and one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in Japan... which is also the most famous suicide spot in the entire world. Legend has it that the spirits of those many suicides are still roaming-haunting deep in those ancient woods. This series from the creators of the acclaimed The Veil examines the lives of Alan, an average worker from Tokyo and his rather unhealthy relationship with Masami, and Ryoko, a forest ranger who recovers the suicide victim's bodies from the woods. We discover that behind Ryoko's unconcerned surface lies a secret, and these three lives will be forever changed by the darkness waiting for them in the Suicide Forest.

As for Black Panther: Man Without Fear #513, it only lost out by the slimmest of margins, and that was due to the fact that we did Daredevil #512 in Review Group Week 251. Still, if anyone feels inclined (and if BlueStreak approves) we can always do a Spin-Off Thread for that Comic with a bit of a twist that comes in the form of this question to go along with your thoughts.

From what you read in this issue, do you think Marvel can this book can contribute to the raising of T'Challa's profile to where he can be considered part of the "A-List" tier of characters?

With that said, can't wait to see how RG #253 shakes out.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Suicide Forest sounds awesome.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:37 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:With a weekend of hype added to my decision, it's time to announce the book we're going to be reviewing. After much self-debate and deliberation the final decision won by less than half of thread. Ladies and Gentlemen, Review Group Week #253 will be taking on......

The Suicide Forest #1

Just outside of Tokyo lies Aokigahara, a vast forest and one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in Japan... which is also the most famous suicide spot in the entire world. Legend has it that the spirits of those many suicides are still roaming-haunting deep in those ancient woods. This series from the creators of the acclaimed The Veil examines the lives of Alan, an average worker from Tokyo and his rather unhealthy relationship with Masami, and Ryoko, a forest ranger who recovers the suicide victim's bodies from the woods. We discover that behind Ryoko's unconcerned surface lies a secret, and these three lives will be forever changed by the darkness waiting for them in the Suicide Forest.

OOOOOHHHHHHH, this looks promising! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And I loved The Veil.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm glad you guys think this book has a lot of promise.

Greg: I'm deadly serous about the spin-off thread, as well. Once we get the okay, spread the word out and get people to post their views. I really want to see what the pulse is behind Black Panther's latest comic.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:42 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:I'm glad you guys think this book has a lot of promise.

Greg: I'm deadly serous about the spin-off thread, as well. Once we get the okay, spread the word out and get people to post their views. I really want to see what the pulse is behind Black Panther's latest comic.

I'll see what I can do.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm sure suicide forest will have 6 reviews...Is the amber atoms rule still in effect?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I'm sure suicide forest will have 6 reviews...Is the amber atoms rule still in effect?

it's the Hawk rule, motherfucker!!!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Good choice, SP, you don't have to worry about the minimum review rule and if the usual people refuse to participate because they don't get to ogle muscle-men in tight-pants for one week out of 10, it'll be no big loss as usual.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 27 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week #252: BOOSTER GOLD #39

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:I'm glad you guys think this book has a lot of promise.

Spinoff thread is cool with me. I'll shoot an email to David Liss giving him a heads up about it once it goes live too.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 27 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:Good choice, SP, you don't have to worry about the minimum review rule and if the usual people refuse to participate because they don't get to ogle muscle-men in tight-pants for one week out of 10, it'll be no big loss as usual.

The minimum review rule should be fine as long as at least you, me, Greg and SP send in reviews, which we all will.

I was going to send out an email to the writers of Suicide Forest, but their website is in Spanish. :oops: I didn't realize it was a translated comic.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand