Advertisement

Review Group Week #252: BOOSTER GOLD #39

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Review Group Week #252: BOOSTER GOLD #39

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 pm

That was a decent enough comic. Nothing special but not as bad as I expected it to be. Batista's art did not look very good and looked like older JrJr which is ok but if I wanted that I'd read older JrJr. The ending was plenty sappy but the comic as a whole didn't suffer from being a piece of shit like any avengers book over the last 6 years.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:44 pm

7.11 after seven reviews. That's a generally high review score.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:52 pm

BlueStreak wrote:7.11 after seven reviews. That's a generally high review score.

7 really? Wow you people suck.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 529 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:06 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
7 really? Wow you people suck.

I'll probably torpedo it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 pm

BOOSTER GOLD #39

Not a lot of time for a longer review, but there's not too much I'd have to say about it anyway. If you've been interested in Booster Gold's character development following Ted Kord's death, if you've got some investment in these characters, this was probably a moving read and hopefully a turning point of sorts for Booster. If you've never been overly interested in Booster Gold and haven't really gone through that grieving for Blue Beetle either, there's just a chance it might all seem a little clichéd and not strike a chord with you.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Jude Terror wrote:

I'll probably torpedo it.

Last time you said that you ended up with a baby...or in rehab can't make up my mind on which way to go on the burn.

p.s. I was referring to numbers not scores.

- Les Paul

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Booster Gold #39

This was for a pretty specific audience. If you don't pine for JLI like Booster does in this comic, most likely you don't give a fuck. The art was good for a second tier DC book, but it couldn't save the comic from the after school specialness of it all.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 pm

And the score just took the plunge below 7. Still, technically passing, however, by the slightest of margins.

Prediction: Punchy (and possibly Starlord's) higher than average scores will be negated by Silver Phoenix. Duck Punch is still an unknown, but generally skews in the positive. Average score: 6.8

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Booster Gold #39 or something

Read it and loved it. If this is the real turning point for Booster's mourning period, then I think it was the perfect. Loved the art. Loved the Dialogue. There really was nothing wrong with this at all.

Story: !0
Art: 10
My Score: 10

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Pass that over here please. :-D

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:Pass that over here please. :-D

:lol: :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 529 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Booster Gold #39 Review

This was a fantastic issue. I'm not one of those people who thinks the JLI was the greatest thing ever. I didn't even read it. I'm also not one of those people that hates Booster Gold. I liked him in 52, and I'm enjoying him in JL:GL. From a lot of the talk of this issue though, it seemed like enjoying it would require a huge emotional investment in the characters, but I don't think it did. The story was totally accessible to someone with just a basic knowledge of Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and the general happenings of the DCU over the past ten years.

The story is wrapped in a little bookend monologue from Booster that is a little bit touching, and conveys his sense of loss as well his sense of friendship. Inside the bookends, three plots are running. One is Booster dealing with what I guess is his family. One is an encounter with an aspiring superhero on the street. And the other, which bleeds into the others a bit, is of course his dealing with grief over the loss of his friend. For a $2.99 (I think?) comic, there's a lot of meat to this single issue story. I like that it's light on the decompression, and it left me feeling satisfied.

The art was your standard DC fare, nothing spectacular, nothing terrible. It was adequate. The only part of the issue I took issue with was the typical drop to the knees, grasp at air, throw head back and shout NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! scene that is just completely goofy whenever anyone uses it, and always has the opposite effect of it's intentions, making me laugh rather than feel the character's emotional pain. At the very least, the creators kept the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! out and just silently showed him screaming.

Booster Gold looks like a decent series overall.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Total: 7.5
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!: -1
Overall: 6.5
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Booster Gold #39 - 'Letting Go!' - Giffen, DeMatteis, Batista and Perrotta

Story - This was a strange issue of Booster Gold. For one, it contained absolutely no time-travel whatsoever. That seems impossible to me, a Booster Gold comic without time-travel? That's like a Batman comic without dark alleyways, a Hulk comic without smashing, or an X-Men comic without overwrought metaphors!

Yet somehow, Booster staying in the present worked out very well, allowing Giffen and DeMatteis to showcase what they do best, witty conversational banter, but banter with heart. And man, as a big fan of the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, this issue kind of got to me.

Giffen and DeMatteis' return to a character they so memorably worked on back in the day has been a lot of fun so far, tangentially related to the excellent Justice League: Generation Lost, it's featured Booster Gold travelling through time to try and find proof that Maxwell Lord exists, and the many diversions he's gone through, leading to goofy-yet-endearing team-ups between Booster, Ted Kord, Mister Miracle, Big Barda, General Glory and more, and all sorts of shenanigans. It's been a light-hearted side-story to the rather more serious Generation Lost.

But that all stops here, because while Booster may be able to go back in time and hang out with all those heroes, it doesn't change the fact that all of them, and crucially Ted Kord are dead as hell. This issue deals with Booster himself having to deal with that fact, and it's pretty strong stuff, I know some readers may find it trite, but screw them, I have a bias here and I admit it, I love the old JLI characters, Booster and Beetle in particular, and any issue that deals with them is a plus in my eyes. That's the real strength of Giffen and DeMatteis as a writing team, it's not just constant bwahahahas, they built a Justice League that was full of real people, a Justice League readers actually cared about, and this issue, as well as Generation Lost is a testament to that fact.

That's not to say this issue isn't funny enough, the DeMatteis patter is at it's best here, the back and forth between Booster and Skeets is wonderful, when he gets into full-flow, there aren't many better in comics at this kind of dialogue, maybe not even Bendis! I also liked the rationale behind the new 'Booster' character, topical! Plus, the huge amount of dialogue makes the silent sequences even more important, when DeMatteis goes quiet, you know something's up.

So yeah, I liked this issue a lot. I admit it's personal bias for these old characters and writers, but doesn't everyone have those? I imagine if you're not a pre-existing Booster fan this issue will do little to persuade you, and even if it did, you're likely to be disappointed as it's a very atypical Booster Gold story, but for me, and for legions of other JLI fans, this was just what we needed. This issue was a great trip into the past, and also holds great promise for the future. Perhaps we did travel through time after all?

Art - Chris Batista, is probably the 3rd most important Booster Gold artist, after Dan Jurgens and Kevin Maguire. Batista drew most of the character's stuff in 52, which was the start of his return to greatness, and he's just a great fit, he gets the facial, character conversational stuff, but also the superhero adventure stuff. It's not mindblowing, but hey, do you need it to be?

Best Line - The best line in this issue wasn't a line at all, it was a silent cry of emotion. Which is odd for a Giffen/DeMatteis joint I know, but then again, with them, the best line is never a line, and you'd end up quoting an entire issue, so the Booster Gold cry of anguish it is then.

8/10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Booster Gold #39 Review

This was a fantastic issue. I'm not one of those people who thinks the JLI was the greatest thing ever. I didn't even read it. I'm also not one of those people that hates Booster Gold. I liked him in 52, and I'm enjoying him in JL:GL. From a lot of the talk of this issue though, it seemed like enjoying it would require a huge emotional investment in the characters, but I don't think it did. The story was totally accessible to someone with just a basic knowledge of Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and the general happenings of the DCU over the past ten years.

The story is wrapped in a little bookend monologue from Booster that is a little bit touching, and conveys his sense of loss as well his sense of friendship. Inside the bookends, three plots are running. One is Booster dealing with what I guess is his family. One is an encounter with an aspiring superhero on the street. And the other, which bleeds into the others a bit, is of course his dealing with grief over the loss of his friend. For a $2.99 (I think?) comic, there's a lot of meat to this single issue story. I like that it's light on the decompression, and it left me feeling satisfied.

The art was your standard DC fare, nothing spectacular, nothing terrible. It was adequate. The only part of the issue I took issue with was the typical drop to the knees, grasp at air, throw head back and shout NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! scene that is just completely goofy whenever anyone uses it, and always has the opposite effect of it's intentions, making me laugh rather than feel the character's emotional pain. At the very least, the creators kept the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! out and just silently showed him screaming.

Booster Gold looks like a decent series overall.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Total: 7.5
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!: -1
Overall: 6.5

This is pretty much the expansion of my review. I agree with you pretty much 100%

- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 am

SilverPhoenix wrote:With a weekend of hype added to my decision, it's time to announce the book we're going to be reviewing. After much self-debate and deliberation the final decision won by less than half of thread. Ladies and Gentlemen, Review Group Week #253 will be taking on......

The Suicide Forest #1

As for Black Panther: Man Without Fear #513, it only lost out by the slimmest of margins, and that was due to the fact that we did Daredevil #512 in Review Group Week 251. Still, if anyone feels inclined (and if BlueStreak approves) we can always do a Spin-Off Thread for that Comic with a bit of a twist that comes in the form of this question to go along with your thoughts.

From what you read in this issue, do you think Marvel can this book can contribute to the raising of T'Challa's profile to where he can be considered part of the "A-List" tier of characters?

With that said, can't wait to see how RG #253 shakes out.

so, this is the pick, no? I will pick it up, if so...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand