Tuesday, May 3, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week 197 - PUNISHER #11

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Chris wrote:Everyone seems to have just glossed over my point earlier about the fact that Marvel already HAS a reanimated dead character that would fit this much better.. Deathlok!

And doing it with the already reanimated dead character who the story would fit does not create that added controversial aspect that will move more copies of the book. Punisher hasn't sold out since issue #1, the List sold out for normal speculative reasons, this sold out because shops underestimated demand because the controversy while causing a lot of this is stupid and they fucked up Punisher comments also got more people to buy the book than had been buying the book.

Justin M. Campbell

cheese

Postby Justin M. Campbell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:53 pm

NuSkool Youngblood gets a big BOO for saying Babewatch didn't happen.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Justin M. Campbell wrote:NuSkool Youngblood gets a big BOO for saying Babewatch didn't happen.

I think this is the wrong thread?
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:And doing it with the already reanimated dead character who the story would fit does not create that added controversial aspect that will move more copies of the book.


I don't care. That's bad writing or decision making, or whatever, and I don't buy the sales argument, because there are plenty of books that don't need gimmicks that manage to survive. Granted, it's on the strength of their trade sales or HC's or such, but they still find ways to do it without compromising the story.

"Hey, instead of writing a story with an appropriate character, let's just take an established character and change him to fit our own needs! YEAH!"

Ugh. So ass backwards. :roll:
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Chris wrote:I don't care. That's bad writing or decision making, or whatever, and I don't buy the sales argument, because there are plenty of books that don't need gimmicks that manage to survive. Granted, it's on the strength of their trade sales or HC's or such, but they still find ways to do it without compromising the story.

"Hey, instead of writing a story with an appropriate character, let's just take an established character and change him to fit our own needs! YEAH!"

Ugh. So ass backwards. :roll:

It sold more so it proves you wrong in the decision making aspect, for Marvel it was the right move at this time. Whether or not it does irreparable harm to the character or not is another point altogether... but then this is the comic company that thinks Deadpool #900 is such a good joke it is a good idea to go ahead and release it.

Creatively I don't necessarily agree with the idea of your argument... although I liked this issue even with a strong this is stupid feeling going into it, I loved it. We will see if I and the others tire of it.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:It sold more so it proves you wrong in the decision making aspect, for Marvel it was the right move at this time. Whether or not it does irreparable harm to the character or not is another point altogether... but then this is the comic company that thinks Deadpool #900 is such a good joke it is a good idea to go ahead and release it.

Creatively I don't necessarily agree with the idea of your argument... although I liked this issue even with a strong this is stupid feeling going into it, I loved it. We will see if I and the others tire of it.


I forgot to check and see if they had any of this left today until I was in the car, but the guy made fun of me for buying Image United so I didn't want to go back in and ask for a Punkenstein book.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:46 pm

House of J wrote:I forgot to check and see if they had any of this left today until I was in the car, but the guy made fun of me for buying Image United so I didn't want to go back in and ask for a Punkenstein book.

Fuck that motherfucker. You should have said, "oh yeah, you ordered it, how many you gonna be stuck with?"

That shit pisses me off. I want to fucking kill shop guys like that.
User avatar

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:Fuck that motherfucker. You should have said, "oh yeah, you ordered it, how many you gonna be stuck with?"

That shit pisses me off. I want to fucking kill shop guys like that.


I have to agree, unless the salesman is the shop owner. The owner can do whatever he pleases. Any salesman HAS TO maintain at least an appearance of fairness to any comic or company. My LCS guy orders whatever the customers keep buying, no matter how he feels about the comic. He only regularly reads 2 or 3 comics a week, sometimes none, yet he is always looking for trends in the other books. It's his job.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:23 am

Old Man wrote:I have to agree, unless the salesman is the shop owner. The owner can do whatever he pleases. Any salesman HAS TO maintain at least an appearance of fairness to any comic or company. My LCS guy orders whatever the customers keep buying, no matter how he feels about the comic. He only regularly reads 2 or 3 comics a week, sometimes none, yet he is always looking for trends in the other books. It's his job.

Fuck that, the owner should too. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the owner of Ultimate Comics desell stuff to customers. We have sort of broken him of that. He doesn't actually take things out of people's hands anymore.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 am

You go to the hipster comic shop, that's what you get. Another week or so and it'll all be coming from DCBS anyway, except for any crappy review group books I go out and buy.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:44 am

House of J wrote:You go to the hipster comic shop, that's what you get. Another week or so and it'll all be coming from DCBS anyway, except for any crappy review group books I go out and buy.

Dude, even my customers accuse me of being a hipster when it comes to the comics I like, but I have never ridiculed anyone for the comics they buy. For god's sake, I sell the fucking things.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:48 am

thefourthman wrote:Dude, even my customers accuse me of being a hipster when it comes to the comics I like, but I have never ridiculed anyone for the comics they buy. For god's sake, I sell the fucking things.


He waited until I had handed him the $20.

I really didn't care, I'm not that thin-skinned. I figured, I was buying FF, Beasts of Burden, Criminal, Arkham Reborn, and Image United. He picked the right book to make fun of, at least. :lol:
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:49 am

House of J wrote:He waited until I had handed him the $20.

I really didn't care, I'm not that thin-skinned. I figured, I was buying FF, Beasts of Burden, Criminal, Arkham Reborn, and Image United. He picked the right book to make fun of, at least. :lol:

The only asshole thing I do is wait to ring them up before I tell them about the sale the next day! :D
User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:40 pm

sorry for the late review but I've been too busy for comics the last few weeks :oops:

I enjoyed this one. It didn't feel like a punisher book at all but that's a good thing imo. Tony Moore was great in this book. Rememder has a lot of talent he just can be hit or miss at times. This was a fun book and i hope it stays that way. 616 Punisher got really boring lately and with the max series going now i think this frankencastle has some potential. I was very hesitant coming in but this was surpisingly better than I expected. I'll stick with it a few more issues but it's off to a good start.

Art 8.5
Story 7.0
Overall 7.75
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 pm

A solid issue. It sets up everything nicely and Tony Moore's art is the business.

8* out of 10*

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests