Advertisement

Review Group Week #254: Larfleeze Christmas Special

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week #254: Larfleeze Christmas Special

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 pm

you sir wound me with your insults of my baking! :-(
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:06 pm

noone wrote:you sir wound me with your insults of my baking! :-(

I was referring to the recipe. :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:06 pm

I still hate you for erasing my votes, you Jeb Bush you!
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:07 pm

noone wrote:I still hate you for erasing my votes, you Jeb Bush you!

You're such a woman.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
You're such a woman.

I take the time to vote in your silly ass poll and you load my votes up in a truck and drive it all over Florida! Don't fucking ask why my outhouse is closed later!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm

noone wrote:I take the time to vote in your silly ass poll and you load my votes up in a truck and drive it all over Florida! Don't fucking ask why my outhouse is closed later!

Is that an butt secks reference? :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm

You'll never know now couch sleeper!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm

I actually have a copy of this now, I'll probably do a triple-header of reviews along with Suicide Forest and Action Comics at the weekend.

Exciting times!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 549 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:54 pm

noone wrote:I take the time to vote in your silly ass poll and you load my votes up in a truck and drive it all over Florida! Don't fucking ask why my outhouse is closed later!

Jude Terror wrote:Is that an butt secks reference? :lol:

Totally ! :lol:

And if you don't get the references, I'm sure Thunderstorm or Starlord will translate for ya !
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special - 'Orange You Glad It's Christmas?' - Johns and Booth

Story - Imagine an alternate reality where upon the release of Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace, Jar-Jar Binks was not wildly mocked and hated, but was instead praised as the best new character in movies of the year, became a huge fan-favourite, gaining increasingly large roles in the subsequent movies, and then somehow, bizarrely, managed to get his own fucking movie. Imagine that reality. Imagine how infuriatingly annoying that reality would be, imagine how stupid the people of that reality must be. Just stop and imagine it.

Except really, you don't have to imagine it, as a comics fan, you're already bloody living it, replace Jar-Jar with Larfleeze, and we're already fucking there. This comic and character is indicative of everything wrong with superhero comics today, it's aggressively simple, but with aspirations of depth it just can't hope to reach, and is just in general an insult to us all.

I don't think we can really blame Geoff Johns for this, he is obviously a talented guy, but on this occasion he has fallen into a trap of giving the fans what they want, and you should never ever give comics fans what they want, as most of them are morons. What was a fairly minor if fairly annoying side-villain in Green Lantern has been promoted to increasingly prominent roles in recent issues of the main book, and now this. It's ridiculous, there is no character here. Can anyone tell me what Larfleeze's personality is? He's greedy. That's it, no more. That's not enough for a single page, let alone a whole one-shot. It's depressing how empty this 'character' is.

On the surface the idea of a character hunting for Santa Claus in the DCU could be a clever idea, but just like Larfleeze himself, there is no subtlety here, Larfleeze just blazes in asking for presents, then Green Lantern just bluntly says there is no Santa, no depth at all. Johns isn't the most subtle writer at the best of times, but I can safely say that Hal Jordan's speech about the true meaning of Christmas is comfortably the worst thing he has ever written.

As if having a terrible non-character and an unsubtle story isn't enough, DC also go for some full-on Christmas gimmicks here, with a maze, a christmas ornament and even a cookie recipe for the readers to play with. This disgusts me. Some readers may claim I'm being too serious, and that it's 'just a bit of fun' and that we need more stuff like this to get kids reading comics, but I call BULLSHIT! Kids don't want this shit, it's not all-ages, it's aggressively infantile, it treats the reader like a child, it's a 40-year old man's idea of Christmas fun, and it's denigrates all comics as being a lesser, childish medium. It's an insult to us all really.

After all that, Johns has an attempt at pathos, with the revelation that Larfleeze really just wants his family, in what is a supposedly touching moment. It might be, if Larfleeze wasn't such a broadly drawn piece of crap caricature. It's too late to try and give him depth, we've crossed the rubicon now, it's like trying to give those racist Transformers a tragic backstory, it just comes across as ridiculous.

This was just an ill-judged comic from every angle, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves, and as a comics community we should hang our heads in shame. I include myself in this, I mean, I fucking bought it! And we even have a Dex-Starr special supposedly coming up. Kill me now, because that fucking Cat is almost as bad as Larfleeze in it's mawkishness.

Oh yeah, the Tiny Titans back-up was the only halfway decent thing about this issue, nicely drawn, and funny at the expense of the increasingly convoluted GL-universe without being too stupid.

Art - Brett Booth is one of those artists who became popular in the mid-90s because his art looked a bit like Jim Lee's if you squinted, but once Jim Lee waned in popularity, he was kind of stuck, and is kind of a 90s anachronism, like Larry Stroman or something. His exaggerated anatomy does Larfleeze's snout some justice, but his people look weird, but the art is the least of this book's problems, and really, he's just picking up a paycheck so I'll cut him some slack, it is Christmas after all.

Best Line - Are you joking here?

2/10 That 2 is for the 2 pages of Art Baltazar and Franco

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:40 pm

I don't think we can really blame Geoff Johns for this, he is obviously a talented guy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Always Right wrote:I don't think we can really blame Geoff Johns for this, he is obviously a talented guy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be fair, he wouldn't have got so far without at least having some talent, I may only like about half of what he does, but he's not shit.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 120 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Just because Johns isn't talentless doesn't mean he escapes the BLAME!

After all, if a moderately workmanlike writer wrote something really challenging and amazing you wouldn't not give him any credit for it. :?

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:02 pm

How can you not blame Johns for this comic? It probably doesn't get made unless he wants to make it. I would say the existence of LCS is entirely the fault of Johns.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand