Advertisement

Review Group Week #255: Action Comics #896

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 178 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week #255: Action Comics #896

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Leave it Starlord to gay up the thread. :roll:

:lol:

Advertisement

God-Man
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Postby God-Man » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah let's gay it up in this bitch!!

Dragavon wrote:Action Comics #896 by Cornell & Woods.

Paul Cornell has done the impossible. He's actually made it interesting to about Lex Luthor. After decades of being the most boring villain to the second most boring superhero in the DCU, Luthor is actually sort of interesting in his quest to obtain a power ring. The problem, and there is one, is that Cornell has too much planned in this book considering he only has 3 issues left (There's no way that issue 900 of Action Comics won't have Superman back as the main character). He's trying to resolve as much as he can and this issue loses some luster. Amanda Waller being controlled by Mister Mind. The Lois robot is under someone else's control. These things should have been given a lot more time to be incorporated into the storyline.

The art is great and enhances the plot, which is as it should be for a good artist like Woods.

Score: 8/10

Backup: Jimmy Olsen's Big Week by Spencer and Silva.

This is the true reason to read this book. Spencer is amazing in making Olsen a fun, likable protagonist. I would read this if it were it's own comic. This should have been the main story with the Luthor storyline as the backup.

Score: 10/10.

Total for this title: 9/10

I thought that was Waller too, especially considering the appearance by the Six. But that was actually Monique, Luthor's receptionist. She was in the last issue.

The issue was great, and I thought Cornell nailed the Secret Six. The reappearance of Mister Mind and the revelation about RoboLois' possible double crossing was abrupt and took me out of the story momentarily (could she be working for anyone else but Brainiac?) but otherwise this was a pretty damn good story. Woods continues to be awesome, and I especially liked the closing pages showing the bouncing controller about to set off. And the Jimmy Olsen backup was great. It's too bad the story won't be completed until March but I'm looking forward to having the story collected in one book.

http://www.jorellrivera.com

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:43 am

The main story: Pretty good, at times a little confusing, but oh well.

The backup.: Deserving much higher than the paltry ten it's gotten. They need a Jimmy Olsen book. Now.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 am

Action Comics #896

Luthor/Secret Six

What was the point of this exactly? The comic never bothers to convey that bit of information to new readers. As someone who hasn't read an issue of Action since the end of the Johns run, this was just random people fighting other random people randomly. Pete Woods as usual is solid for the majority of the comic, but there are a couple of panels (Luthor dining with the redhead) that were awful.

Story: 1, Art: 7

Jimmy Olsen

This was a quirky and fun backup. If DC brought back Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen I would read that comic.

Story: 8, Art: 7.5

Overall: 5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Lex may be leaving the book after #900, but by all accounts, Cornell is sticking around to write Superman.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:15 pm

John Snow wrote:Action Comics #896

Luthor/Secret Six

What was the point of this exactly? The comic never bothers to convey that bit of information to new readers. As someone who hasn't read an issue of Action since the end of the Johns run, this was just random people fighting other random people randomly. Pete Woods as usual is solid for the majority of the comic, but there are a couple of panels (Luthor dining with the redhead) that were awful.

Story: 1, Art: 7

Glad to see it wasn't just me. I'll write a review later, maybe tonight.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm

My LCS got badly short shipped on Action Comics and didn't even have enough to cover the customers that pre-ordered it. They've put in a re-order and they know I want a copy. I should have it either next week or the week after. I'll write my review when I can.

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:31 am

ok, so this issue is pretty shitty. Very much like Mr. Amlah the art was good except for like 2-5 panels in the beginning, maybe a printer problem? I had previously read the issue where luthor dies and Grodd wants to eat his brain with a spoon(that was awesome By the way) this issue made no sense at all and didn't really give a new reader much to go on. I feel like a regular reader would be just as confused as the story seems to completely come out of nowhere. I assume the "black orb" is the black lantern ring? Yeah this comic was just very disjointed and felt forced in all kinds of ways.

The back up was cute but I wouldn't run out to read a jimmy olsen book. I still don't have an opinion of Nick Spencer but I'm curious at his future. I ordered the morning glories trade and am kind of pissed that infinite vacation has turned into a mini but whatever it wasn't enough to pull this piece of shit comic that I was actually excited to read.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 378 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:44 am

This is the pick for next week. Now go fuck yourself. All of you especially that one dude.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 am

Can we all agree not to review next week so that Hawk gets kicked out?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:40 am

John Snow wrote:Can we all agree not to review next week so that Hawk gets kicked out?

Quit reading my mind!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:42 am

Hawk are you gonna pick something or should we just skip you. Also, stop drinking so much. Clearly the precious few brain cells you have left are not functioning properly.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 am

noone wrote:Hawk are you gonna pick something or should we just skip you. Also, stop drinking so much. Clearly the precious few brain cells you have left are not functioning properly.

He picked Weird World #1. There's a link in his post...

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 am

BlueStreak wrote:
He picked Weird World #1. There's a link in his post...

I hate that fucker. I also hate the shitty ass lighting and moniters at work that prevent me from seeing links on this fucking site.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:47 am

also good pick. I might review action tonite. I went ahead and bought it, fuckheads.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand