Advertisement

Review Group Week #256: Weird Worlds #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: Review Group Week #256: Weird Worlds #1

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Yeah. There's going to be a Weird Worlds Rule after this.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Yeah. There's going to be a Weird Worlds Rule after this.

It's a cool sounding rule, too.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm thinking that the Weird Worlds rule should exist basically from sparing the Group from utter shit like this book.

Basically: if the book gets the lowest score ever (meaning a 2.68, probably no higher than a 3), anyone who had the indignity of reviewing the book gets a free pass for an upcoming week. Anyone who doesn't review the book won't get "penalized" for not reading it.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:16 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I'm thinking that the Weird Worlds rule should exist basically from sparing the Group from utter shit like this book.

Basically: if the book gets the lowest score ever (meaning a 2.68, probably no higher than a 3), anyone who had the indignity of reviewing the book gets a free pass for an upcoming week. Anyone who doesn't review the book won't get "penalized" for not reading it.

Is that starting this week?

Thank you Troy for the sig

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Is that starting this week?

Yeah. This is something that Review Group should not have to suffer through.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 363 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:31 pm

I have adjusted my score to insure this book will score ridiculously low.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Yeah. This is something that Review Group should not have to suffer through.

Good to know. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:57 am

I have to edit my score, I was being too nice. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:22 pm

BREAKING NEWS!

I received copies of Teen Titans #75 and Batwoman #0 in the post from Amlah6/John Snow today, so reviews of those will be forthcoming.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:58 pm

7s for both! :-D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm

John Snow wrote:7s for both! :-D

Do I give a disproportionate amount of 7s or something?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm

What about elegy Punchy?!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 pm

doombug wrote:What about elegy Punchy?!

Apart from the unlikely event of somebody sending me a copy, I won't be reading it.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Have we finally reached the Absoulte Nadir for Comics?

Postby SilverPhoenix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Weird Worlds #1

Where does one begin to talk about a comic that has no creative value whatsoever? Come along with me and find out.

Throughout my life, I can safely say that I have learned my share of lessons that have made me a wiser person for having gone through the situations that them to me. However, one the most understated lessons that I, or any other person will learn is that you will encounter things that are genuinely turn out to be of objectively poor quality in any type of media that you encounter. It is through these potentially painful experiences that one not begins to develop their own preferences and tastes, but can potentially gain a true appreciation for what goes into a quality work in every pursuit of life. An admittedly unconventional way of seeing things, but if everything were good, would we aspire to be so great?

Unfortunately, there are also a few select works that go beyond being simply poor, or even merely bad. These works are put together in such a manner that it becomes obvious that at no point were those involved concerned with how the work would be perceived. Since there is no high point to aim for, quality becomes a tertiary concern , leading to otherwise talented artists giving a slipshod effort that shows how much they cared about what they were doing . The finished product is so lacking in effort that anything and anyone associated with it is portrayed in such a negative light that it becomes a stain for their creative credibility. If there is any comic that can be described as this Atrocious, “Weird World’s #1” would definitely be a dim (but accurate )example of everything I just pointed out in this paragraph.

When describing how bad this Comic actually was, the most trouble they will probably have is where to begin talking about this catastrophe. If this reviewer had to start anywhere, the discussion would have to begin on how amazingly shallow the 3 stories being told are. To give a better view of the point I am trying to bring across. I am going to write descriptions of each one.

- Lobo gets shot in Head. Alien who pulled off deed brags to the whole damn bar without realizing that Lobo can’t die. Lobo heals from Head Shot. Lobo kills assailant brutally. Promise of more of the same in next Issue.

- Garbage Man (literally) is found near Waste Disposal (Or Chemical, but who gives a damn) Facility. Inconsequential blabbing about how he got that way. Ends story by promising payback on those who made him that way.

- Tanga is lost in space trying to find a world where she can belong. Tanga tries to communicate with Alien Spaceship that ignores. Tanga gets angry and destroys the Ship. Finds beauty in destruction. To be continued

Yes ladies and gentlemen, it took me 9 lines, to describe what went on in 30 Pages of Actual Comic. Even with a few details glossed over, there is something fundamentally wrong with almost ANY story that can be accurately described in such a shallow manner. Of course, the reviewer should also note that this was Anthology Style Comic, so it is unfair to expect that these 10 Page Stories (on Average) to have the same depth and nuance that a 30, 22 (or 20) page story would have. However, it is completely unacceptable when a 10 Page Story is so devoid of value, that even coming across as derivative would be a marked improvement. To make things worse, the dialogue in this book is absolutely atrocious, as all of the walls of text (especially in the Lobo story, ironically) fail at doing their job of moving the story in a spectacular manner. If Bendis dialogue has a tendency to devolve into talking heads, this book makes those videos with the Computer Generated voices feel dynamic. Without any effort to distinguish these voices, it doesn’t matter who says what, as there is no cognitive desire for the reader to begin making sense of this all-encompassing disgrace. A bottom-tier writing job if I have ever seen one.

The art in this book is fundamentally passable, as the characters and details are drawn in a clean orderly manner. However, this doesn’t save the art from failing on every level besides that. Boredom rules the day as each panel is drawn with the same cold, lifeless style that a true enthusiast of Graphic Novels can never abide by. As a result, everything comes across the exact opposite of what the artist is trying to convey, as these characters and situations come across as dull, unsympathetic, and transparent. As a result, the reviewer couldn’t wait to get this book over with and look at the latest trade of “Tarot” to find something that could make him less angry about laying eyes on this slab of boredom.

When you get down to it, calling this book terrible is giving it far too much credit. Simply put, this comic is a completely atrociously banal waste of time and brain cells. The lack of effort put into every aspect of this work is a humongous black mark to everyone that anything to do with it. If there was ever a comic that I would recommend to absolutely nobody (not even to see how bad this medium can get), Weird Worlds #1 would be the dictionary accurate definition of such a distinction, where the only positive is that this work will most likely be forgotten by its creators in 2 years or less.

Final Judgment (There will be no sub-scores for ANY aspect of this “Comic”): 0
Last edited by SilverPhoenix on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:56 am

Bad, Im not going to break it down... because it was just not good... something like a (2/10)... :' (
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand