Sunday, July 24, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Good enough for government work!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group #257: Casanova: Gula #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
I was thinking of doing that for my own Front Page review.

The Spirit! :D

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 pm

wow, I didn't know there could be a comic that was worse than last week, but I think I found it. Review to come. :smt011

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:47 pm

starlord wrote:wow, I didn't know there could be a comic that was worse than last week, but I think I found it. Review to come. :smt011

Jeez. I'm afraid to read my copy now. Then again, you didn't like Suicide Forest nor Hellboy.

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 am

Greg wrote:
Jeez. I'm afraid to read my copy now. Then again, you didn't like Suicide Forest nor Hellboy.

weirdly enough though, I did end up buying the first two trades of Hellboy. It's kind of growing on me.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:14 am

:shock: I can understand disliking fraction but if you hate moon or ba's artwork...you might be insane. :shock: :lol:

Mr_Batman

Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Zero wrote:
It made Larfleeze look like the friggin' Dark Knight Returns.

Ouch. I haven't read Larfleeze yet though

What kind of dig was that Victorious Squid? HM?

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:17 am

Mr_Batman wrote:Ouch. I haven't read Larfleeze yet though

What kind of dig was that Victorious Squid? HM?

I can't remember now, probably a dig of convenience.

I'll have to check and see what I said.

Oh yeah. :lol:

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 am

starlord wrote:wow, I didn't know there could be a comic that was worse than last week, but I think I found it. Review to come. :smt011

:smt011

I don't know if I can have Casanova haters attend my wedding...

:P

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 pm

God I forgot how good this book is.

Casanova Gula #1 By Matt Fraction and Fabio Moon

You ever read a book that excells at using the medium? A comic that has so much craziness and uniqueness that you just have to sit back and smile after reading it and then reading it another 2 times? That is what I experience everytime that I read Casanova.

The best of Fraction's independent comic work (next to Last of the independents of course) and easily the most ambitious. Casanova is the multiverses best spy and has a team that would make Bond/Powers/the avengers and even Nick Fury jealous. But when the world's greatest spy goes missing...what happens?

The mystery set up in this volume of the series is a fun one which gives a twist that if I remember correctly, no one was able to call...even if Zeph is wearing it right on her damn shirt. (Which I just noticed as of this reading)

Fabio's artwork is beyond amazing here though his work on the series does differ a bit from his brother as Moon's work seems to be a bit more slender to his characters bodies.

For each section only having 16 pages it's always been a surprisngly tight book, one that I really cannot find flaws with.

Therefore even when it's a reprint I have to give it: 10 8)

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

What did you think of the new colouring? :wink:

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Zero wrote:What did you think of the new colouring? :wink:

Not much of a difference really. :smt102

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I didn't think my LCS would Have a copy of this and it turns out I was right. :(

The good news is that the my back ordered copy of Action Comics #896 came in and I'll be able to at least review something this week.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ula-1.html

Casanova is an awesome fucking comic book. It exudes sleaze and filth endearingly like a rock star. Lesser comics, in attempting the sort of vibe that Casanova naturally achieves, can die by the terminaldisease of "trying-too-hard- itis," but Matt Fraction and the brothers Ba and Moon somehow manage to take a whole lot of counter-culture weirdness, alternate timeline sci-fi, and espionage action and turn it into a neat, organic package.

Gula #1 picks up where Luxuria left off, this time with Fabio Moon on art chores. Casanova Quinn is no longer under the control of Newman Xeno and W.A.S.T.E., and on the side of the angels (E.M.P.I.R.E.), but he doesn't get to enjoy his new found freedom very long as he mysteriously disappears in the first few pages, leaving his friends, family, and a blue-skinned femme fatale from the future named Sasa Lisi, agent of M.O.T.T., all of them asking the question: when is Casanova Quinn?

Well, who the fuck knows, but I'm sure it will be an wild ride. Casanova's storytelling is a little bit insane, in a good way It leaves you wondering what the fuck is going on, but not feeling lost: a perfect amount of absurdity. If you haven't read this series yet, pick up the Luxuria trade and this issue. If you've read the Image version, pick it up again anyway to get ready for the third volume of all new stories that should be on it's way when this reprinting wraps up.

Score: 10/10

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 pm

who has next week's pick?
fucking apathetic bastards.

Review probably monday on this one.

P.S. Starlord is clearly insane.

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Next Week's Pick: Spirit #10