Advertisement

Review Group Week #255: Action Comics #896

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week #255: Action Comics #896

Postby Starlord » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:49 am

Action Comics #896

Paul Cornell has been doing an exquiste job of telling this story about Lex Luthor and his quest for the power of the Black Lantern. This issue was really more of the same. If you're a fan of this villain, then I highly recommend this now or when in trade. I'm not as sold on the second feature of Jimmy Olsen but it's not a bad story either.

Story: 9
Art: 9
My Score: 9

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 pm

It's a little crazy trying to jump into the 7th part of a story, but somehow I managed to enjoy ACTION COMICS #896, anyway. I was pulled in, I think, by Deadshot's opening words, "So why we rescuing Luther again?" That's just a damn great splash page and I was ready to read on even though I had very little idea of what was going on. It didn't hurt that Pete Woods does the art, either -- he is fantastic. However, I didn't really enjoy the Jimmy Olsen back-up story, although, admittedly, the pages were sure pretty.

STORY: 6/10
ART: 8.5/10
OVERALL: 7.25

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 147 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

action comics #896

Paul Cornell knows how to write the secret six and that was an obvious highlight of the issue. Ragdoll had a great one liner or two and it was just a really fun use of the team. the controller bouncing around led to some fun art as well. I've missed the last couple issues though so i'm lost on the story.

the back up though, spencer is having a blast with olsen and you can tell. that was a lot of fun.

over all: 8

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Action Comics #896 - 'The Black Ring: Part Seven' and 'Jimmy Olsen's Big Week: Day Four' - Cornell, Woods, Spencer and Silva

Story - A couple of posters have made cracks about having to read 'Inaction' Comics, but really if anything the problem with this issue is that there is too much action, and not enough explanation as to why. Following on from last issue's interesting trip through time with Vandal Savage, we are instead treated to 22 pages of inexplicable Secret Six, which is hardly fun at all.

Now part of this is of course down to me, I am not a regular reader of Secret Six, I stopped paying attention to them during Villains United, so have literally zero idea who the hell they are, apart from the fact that Scandal is another egregious DC lesbian and Vandal Savage's daughter, that Ragdoll is lame and Catman is even worse, than Deadshot deserves better. What the hell is Bane doing here? How can he talk? Who is that chick with the weird hair and the fans? Why is there a Goth Girl in Doctor Fate's helmet? What is the point of all this?

I'm sure if I was the kind of person to read and enjoy Secret Six I wouldn't have these problems, but I am not that kind of person, and these issues have interrupted what had previously been a very enjoyable run of Lex Luthor stories. None of this is Cornell's fault, it's just an ill-judged crossover for this particular reader. I definitely won't be picking up Secret Six #29, so hopefully we can all move on and start afresh with the Joker in #897, because really, Cornell's Action Comics is better than this!

Thankfully, this issue is saved by the latest chapter of one of my cultural highlights of 2010, the Jimmy Olsen back-up story by Nick Spencer and RB Silva, which is a delight from start to finish. Jimmy has long been one of my favourite characters (as my Avatar demonstrates), but that has mainly been due to his potential, not due to anything he's actually done in comics since about 1972 (although Superman: Metropolis by Chuck Austen is boss), but for what he could be! A glorious melding of modern sensibilities and silver age weirdness! Nick Spencer has lived up to that potential and more so, this is just the platonic ideal of Jimmy Olsen, you've got wacky Silver-Age nonsense like Mxyzptlyk, but you've also got Jimmy's modern day relationship troubles, it's Scott Pilgrim with Superheroes, and it's a crime that DC's pandering to penny-pinching fans means this is the last chapter. I can't wait until March for the one-shot! This was worth the extra dollar! Hell, it was worth all 4 dollars this time out.

Art - Strong stuff on both fronts, Pete Woods has been working on the Superman books for aaages now, and he's just perfectly attuned to that world, and manages to make the action look good, which is all you really need for a book with that word in the title. RB Silva is also awesome, and is reminding me increasingly of Stuart Immonen, and there can be no higher praise than that. Once again, why do we have to wait until March! Curse you skinflints!

Best Line - 'And this is where I got my brain stuck in the body of a Gorilla'

8/10 Mediocre main story saved by the the Olsen-force.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Action Comics #896

On Paper, the combination of Lex Luthor, The Secret Six and Vandal Savage should be an absolute winner, no questions asked. Does this “great on-paper” combination live up to the hype, or is the show stolen by the undercard headlined by Jimmy Olsen?

To some of the more savvy DC comic book fans, one of the bigger background stories of nearly the past decade has the culture war that has gone on creatively. Since Dan Didio’s installation as the Executive Editor of the DCU in 2003, he has succeeded (spiritually more than literally) in remolding the landscape of that Universe drastically. Between the resurrections of Hal Jordan, Oliver Queen and Barry Allen and the minimization (to various degrees) of their successors, the reestablishing of the Teen Titans, the return of Supergirl being a Kryptonian Cousin of Superman, along with a host of other changes whose results have the DCU resembling what it looked like before Crisis on Infinite Earths took place in 1985. Of course, these changes have been welcomed by some, reviled by others and while this reviewer has his own opinion on how he feels about these changes, he will hold back on going into detail about them, because of the wasted space that will result. However, this debate seems to be inescapable when discussing the current star of this book, Lex Luthor.

As for Lex Luthor, depending on when you discovered the character, one of these characterizations stands out for you. If you discovered the character before the early 1980s, then his characterization as a mad scientist who hated Superman for various reasons is the one you’ll remember most of all. However, if you were a child of either Bryne’s “Man of Steel” (1986) or Superman: The Animated Series (1996), then your greatest memories of Luthor will be those of an Untouchable Businessman who used his genius to wage war on Superman who’s contributions overshadowed his. The latter characterization reigned for years (with Luthor even becoming President of the United States), until it was phased out in the latter half of the 2000’s to return him to his “iconic” version, which added more fuel in the debate between the cheerleaders and detractors of the whole entire movement. However, unlike most “iconic” takes, Luthor’s own “revitalization” didn’t take to enough of the fanbase, nor lend itself to creative success stories as it felt that Luthor was being written into a wall. To counteract this, Paul Cornell’s talents have been tapped in an effort to show that Luthor can still be a viable player in the DCU, even bringing Sandman’s Death out to play. Issue #896 takes things to yet another level as The Secret Six gets involved in the fun. Something that sounds good on paper, but not so much in action.

The main story of Action #896 starts us off with a full page shot of the Secret Six, and in short order we understand why they’re here and who they’re up against. From there, the next 19 pages of the story is one knockdown, drag out brawl mixed with a comedy of errors, a confrontation long overdue, and Robot Lois blowing shit up. On paper, it feels like this book would’ve been one of the books of the week, however when it’s all put together, it just feels underwhelming. This isn’t to say that the writing is terrible, or even bad, it just feel like this should’ve been much better than it ends up being. Part of the problem is that this crossover is plopped in the middle of an already expansive storyline (with Action #896), which automatically exponentially increases the barrier of entry to anyone who reads Secret Six exclusively. I know that a huge chunk of DC fans hate recap pages, but this is one of those times where I think a comic could’ve benefitted from such a feature. The huge barrier of entry also leads to this book losing a lot of story weight, as we get a very vague reason as to why Vandal Savage has decided to use such extreme measures against Lex Luthor, and it helps the thing to come across as a complete throw away comic to Secret Six fans who are used to every comic mattering in one way, or another. Even the pivotal moment of Scandal confronting her father doesn’t carry the weight it should the big noisy fight takes center stage, without giving any other plots breathing room, and it all comes off as a tragic waste of potential that could’ve been avoided if they allowed this story to stand on its own, instead of tying it to an already 6- Part Arc.

Artistically, the main story will give most people very little to complain about, as Pete Woods does a great job drawing most of the characters, backgrounds and details that surround the story being told. Some people might feel underwhelmed by Luthor’s portrayal in the book itself due to David Finch’s excellent cover work, but I feel that the artists did an excellent job portraying Luthor as a devious underhanded person who will take any advantage he can get. However, most Secret Six will find themselves comparing it to their regular drawings in their own comic book as they could possibly feel underwhelmed by the different art style, which misses some of the small details, which help to make these characters feel as unique as they do. I know I am probably nitpicking here, but all I can say is that I expect these characters to be drawn a certain way, and this style falls short of that.

No real analysis of Action #896 can be called complete without mentioning the “Second Feature”, which stars Jimmy Olsen, who is dealing with the fourth day of his big week by being auctioned off for charity. What we get here is a story that’s not only hilarious, but extremely fun to boot. Nick Spenser makes excellent use of his 8-Pages as we get an excellent look into Jimmy Olsen, and what’s going with his life. Along the way we also get to see him interact with a past love of his, and a girl who might be far too sweet for her own good. Overall, we’re given a reason to care about what happens to Jimmy, and the ridiculousness of the scenario is just fun to see unfold. RB Silva also deserves great praise, as he gives each character their own unique look, not falling into the traps of giving everyone the same features, as the story unfolds around his amazing art. This reviewer now sees why the Jimmy Olsen feature was well acclaimed, and I can’t wait for the continuation in March.

When I picked up this last Wednesday, if you told me that I would enjoy the Second Feature more than the main story, I would’ve laughed in your face. Now as I conclude this review, I could say without a doubt that I be gladly eating crow as I got to discover one of the better kept secrets in Comic Books. I just wish I could say that Paul Cornell lived up to the potential that I know he has this month. Hopefully he’ll strike a winner with me in the near future.

The Verdict

Story: 5.5 (For the Main Feature)/8.5 (For the Second Feature)
Art: 8/9.5
Accessibility: 5/8.5

Combined Final Judgment: 7

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 pm

cultural highlights punchy? Isn't that just exaggerating a bit?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:22 am

doombug wrote:cultural highlights punchy? Isn't that just exaggerating a bit?

Maybe a little, but it's damn good.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Punchy wrote:
Maybe a little, but it's damn good.

It's fun and I think that's something we need more from DC as of late. Just fun light hearted comics that have Olsen getting married to someone related to the most annoying imp in supes rogues gallery. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 pm

doombug wrote:It's fun and I think that's something we need more from DC as of late. Just fun light hearted comics that have Olsen getting married to someone related to the most annoying imp in supes rogues gallery. :lol:

Mxyzptlk is awesome!

It's pretty sad that I can spell Mxyzptlk without checking isn't it?

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Punchy wrote:
Mxyzptlk is awesome!

It's pretty sad that I can spell Mxyzptlk without checking isn't it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, yes it is. Notice how I didn't even attempt?

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 291 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Actio Comics #896

It was alright.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Review for Action Comics #896

Cover- Lex Luthor standing O' so calmly in the background, like a badass, and Vandal going to to town on the Secret Six... It was eye catching, except for that damn picture of Jimmy Olsen. -(5/10)

Story- The hunt for the Black Lantern enegry has been a very fun story arc to follow. This is my first encounter with the super-villan Lex Luthor, and I'm not dissapointed. To me, this issue felt a little lacking, and the Secret Six didn't capture me like the Death or Gorilla Grodd issues had. -(4/10)

Art- One of my favorite creative teams right now. The art is meshing supurbly with the story. Compared to the last two issues of The Flash... ughh. -(6/10)

Overall- The weakest of this arc so far... yet i still turned each page wanting more! The future meeting between Larfleeze and Luthor already has me looking forward to this months action comic! -(6/10)

Final score - (5.25/10)
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Mammon, Fool Breaker wrote:Review for Action Comics #896

Cover- Lex Luthor standing O' so calmly in the background, like a badass, and Vandal going to to town on the Secret Six... It was eye catching, except for that damn picture of Jimmy Olsen. -(5/10)

Story- The hunt for the Black Lantern enegry has been a very fun story arc to follow. This is my first encounter with the super-villan Lex Luthor, and I'm not dissapointed. To me, this issue felt a little lacking, and the Secret Six didn't capture me like the Death or Gorilla Grodd issues had. -(4/10)

Art- One of my favorite creative teams right now. The art is meshing supurbly with the story. Compared to the last two issues of The Flash... ughh. -(6/10)

Overall- The weakest of this arc so far... yet i still turned each page wanting more! The future meeting between Larfleeze and Luthor already has me looking forward to this months action comic! -(6/10)

Final score - (5.25/10)

I'm disappointed you didn't like Jimmy Olsen. :( That's been my favorite part of the run thus far.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 am

Action Comics #896

I've been reading and enjoying Action Comics since Paul Cornell announced he'd be using Neil Gaiman's death and the book has been a thoroughly enjoyable road trip through the DCU's most notable supervillains. Vandal Savage is a character I've liked for a while and he's written interestingly enough but the real stars of the show are Pete Woods and the Secret Six.

The Six are a fine match for this title, with similar humour and selfish motivations they drop in quite nicely and provide yet another way for the title to squeeze some action into Action Comics. It's very much a middle chapter but one that stands out from the crowd by the virtue of some great guest stars and the change in focus helps keep the title from simply becoming a series of samey encounters between Lex his guest stars.

Jimmy Olsen's story is hella fun, not quite up to the alien invasion stories but a great backup that I'll gladly be buying when it's finished off in a single issue.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Like a number of other reviewers the biggest problem I had with this issue was the lack of information given to readers who would be coming into this series fresh. Its not like Secret Six is all that connected to the Superman Books. If you have an issue that seems to be designed to attract readers (in this case those who read Secret Six) to buy your series, write it like that's the case. I can also see the flip side in that not a lot was given to explain who the Secret Six are to readers of Action Comics. It all seems like lazy writing to me and this issue loses some points for it.

Overall though, I did like this issue. The way that Lex Luthor and Vandal Savage interacted with each other was fun and the action came across as exciting to read.

The Jimmy Olson backup story was nothing but fun. I laughed out loud when Jimmy's date revealed that she was from Mr. Mxyzptlk's dimension. The story did its job and made me want to buy the Jimmy Olson one-shot in March so that I can see how the story ends.

7 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand