Monday, September 26, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week #256: Weird Worlds #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:38 am

Weird Worlds #1(of 6) - 'The Jawbone Of An Ass', 'Reborn Identity' and 'Distrait' - Vanhook, Ordway, Lopresti, Ryan, Maguire and Cheetham

Story - Come on, this wasn't that bad!

I mean, it wasn't good either, but it certainly hasn't deserved the rollicking it's gotten from this group. It's a perfectly serviceable superhero comic, with really rather excellent artwork, and it should also be given some props for introducing some fresh characters to the stale old DCU, even though one of them is pretty much a rip-off of an old character, and, being made of garbage, can hardly be described as fresh! Hahahaha, I am hilarious.

The first story, featuring the more established character of Lobo is probably the least of the three, the first page tries to be a shock, but any fool knows Lobo can heal from any wound faster than even Wolverine, so it was entirely predictable. But at least it looked good.

Garbageman (I keep thinking of Frank Reynolds from It's Always Sunny in his wrestling persona as 'The Trashman', now that would be a comic, eating trash, throwing bins at hoboes), is as I said a rip-off of Swamp Thing, but considering DC aren't allowed to use ol'Swampy, it might be a good thing that they've got a copy lying around, and one that isn't too laded down with crazy Alan Moore concepts. It's a horribly basic origin story, full of Bruce Banner angst. But again, at least it looked good.

Tanga. by Kevin Maguire is my favourite of the stories, because it actually is something different, actually is something 'weird', the story of a lone space wanderer talking to herself, it has a nice sense of humour (something Maguire picked up from JM DeMatteis perhaps?) and I'm actually intrigued as to what Tanga will get up to next. And of course, it looked good.

So yeah, Weird Worlds isn't really that weird, it should probably be called 'Mundane Worlds', but in a comics market with Project Superpowers and JMS' Superman stinking up the shelves, some perspective is needed, this isn't the worst thing ever, it's just... there.

Art - As my refrain went, 'it looked good', each story in this anthology contained some rather excellent artwork. Lobo was drawn by Jerry Ordway, an artist I don't normally like, coming off as a half-baked cross between Byrne and Perez, but this was the best I have seen his artwork, perhaps it was because he wasn't drawing humans, but it looked good. Aaron Lopresti is an artist I never really associated with top-drawer art, mainly doing DC house style stuff on Justice League or whatever, that while good, doesn't blow your mind, but he really upped his game here, channelling some Will Eisner in his titles, and really putting his mark on the muck-monster, Garbageman really looks great. Kevin Maguire is of course a master of facial expressions, and in a story consisting of someone having a conversation with themselves, his skills are put to good use. The colours of Rosemary Cheetham (someone who I've met, name-dropper!) are also good here, as she has to do a lot of backgrounds. So yeah, the art here was decent, certainly bumping up the grade a few notches.

Best Line - Umm... er... 'Well, hellloooo! At long last! Sweet Conversation!'

5/10
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 am

Punchy, would you recommend anyone buy this comic?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am

Eli Katz wrote:Punchy, would you recommend anyone buy this comic?


I would recommend that fans of Lobo, Kevin Maguire and Aaron Lopresti buy it.

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:59 am

Eli Katz wrote:Punchy, would you recommend anyone buy this comic?


I would recommend hawk purchase and review it since he has yet to make any comment of note on the subject.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 pm

wow
in 2010 the three worst books I read were all from Marvel; it seems that DC was upset that it was left off the final list and made an early push for 2011's worst book.

shit was shit
1
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Punchy wrote:
I would recommend that fans of Lobo, Kevin Maguire and Aaron Lopresti buy it.

i am a fan of Lopresti and a huge fan of Maguire and i've already thrown this turd in the trash.
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I need to read this now to see if it's really that bad. When I saw "Garbageman" the first thing I recalled was Aaron Lopresti's early work on Sludge

Image
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

This thread shall never die!!!

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:This thread shall never die!!!


Post a review ya jerk!
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Hawk, just keep taunting John with the promise of a review.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm

John Snow wrote:
Post a review ya jerk!

Sometime in the future, the UN sends weapons inspector Nathan Kane to a space station above Jupiter, where an exploratory team has made an alarming and ominous discovery: beneath the icy exterior of the planet's ocean moon, Europa, are coffins containing members of a sleeping alien race and guns capable of destroying an entire planet. As Kane and the station crew investigate, they are threatened by the sinister representative of a powerful software conglomerate seeking to exploit the discovery for its own purposes. Writer Ellis is at his best with character-based sf in which an iconoclastic protagonist is injected into an intriguing, futuristic premise, as in the cult favorite Transmetropolitan. Ocean lacks Transmet's verve and attitude, even though Kane is a resourceful badass like Transmet's Spider Jerusalem (classier, however; think Samuel L. Jackson for the movie), but is still a solid, provocative yarn that, emphasizing concept and character rather than action and heroics, and greatly aided by Chris Sprouse's lucid art, comes off rather like an ambitious, big-budget sf film.

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Hawk, just keep taunting John with the promise of a review.


What promise? We can't let him get away with Harty Pottering this thing.

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Sometime in the future, the UN sends weapons inspector Nathan Kane to a space station above Jupiter, where an exploratory team has made an alarming and ominous discovery: beneath the icy exterior of the planet's ocean moon, Europa, are coffins containing members of a sleeping alien race and guns capable of destroying an entire planet. As Kane and the station crew investigate, they are threatened by the sinister representative of a powerful software conglomerate seeking to exploit the discovery for its own purposes. Writer Ellis is at his best with character-based sf in which an iconoclastic protagonist is injected into an intriguing, futuristic premise, as in the cult favorite Transmetropolitan. Ocean lacks Transmet's verve and attitude, even though Kane is a resourceful badass like Transmet's Spider Jerusalem (classier, however; think Samuel L. Jackson for the movie), but is still a solid, provocative yarn that, emphasizing concept and character rather than action and heroics, and greatly aided by Chris Sprouse's lucid art, comes off rather like an ambitious, big-budget sf film.


Ocean is what it looks like when Warren Ellis phones it in, which is about 57.3% of his career output.
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 pm

John Snow wrote:
Ocean is what it looks like when Warren Ellis phones it in, which is about 57.3% of his career output.

Ocean was good until the rushed ending.

Also, I got that review from Amazon.

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Also, I got that review from Amazon.


Really? I stopped reading after Nathan Kane.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot] and 72 guests

cron