Advertisement

Review Group Week #256: Weird Worlds #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Review Group Week #256: Weird Worlds #1

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:38 am

Weird Worlds #1(of 6) - 'The Jawbone Of An Ass', 'Reborn Identity' and 'Distrait' - Vanhook, Ordway, Lopresti, Ryan, Maguire and Cheetham

Story - Come on, this wasn't that bad!

I mean, it wasn't good either, but it certainly hasn't deserved the rollicking it's gotten from this group. It's a perfectly serviceable superhero comic, with really rather excellent artwork, and it should also be given some props for introducing some fresh characters to the stale old DCU, even though one of them is pretty much a rip-off of an old character, and, being made of garbage, can hardly be described as fresh! Hahahaha, I am hilarious.

The first story, featuring the more established character of Lobo is probably the least of the three, the first page tries to be a shock, but any fool knows Lobo can heal from any wound faster than even Wolverine, so it was entirely predictable. But at least it looked good.

Garbageman (I keep thinking of Frank Reynolds from It's Always Sunny in his wrestling persona as 'The Trashman', now that would be a comic, eating trash, throwing bins at hoboes), is as I said a rip-off of Swamp Thing, but considering DC aren't allowed to use ol'Swampy, it might be a good thing that they've got a copy lying around, and one that isn't too laded down with crazy Alan Moore concepts. It's a horribly basic origin story, full of Bruce Banner angst. But again, at least it looked good.

Tanga. by Kevin Maguire is my favourite of the stories, because it actually is something different, actually is something 'weird', the story of a lone space wanderer talking to herself, it has a nice sense of humour (something Maguire picked up from JM DeMatteis perhaps?) and I'm actually intrigued as to what Tanga will get up to next. And of course, it looked good.

So yeah, Weird Worlds isn't really that weird, it should probably be called 'Mundane Worlds', but in a comics market with Project Superpowers and JMS' Superman stinking up the shelves, some perspective is needed, this isn't the worst thing ever, it's just... there.

Art - As my refrain went, 'it looked good', each story in this anthology contained some rather excellent artwork. Lobo was drawn by Jerry Ordway, an artist I don't normally like, coming off as a half-baked cross between Byrne and Perez, but this was the best I have seen his artwork, perhaps it was because he wasn't drawing humans, but it looked good. Aaron Lopresti is an artist I never really associated with top-drawer art, mainly doing DC house style stuff on Justice League or whatever, that while good, doesn't blow your mind, but he really upped his game here, channelling some Will Eisner in his titles, and really putting his mark on the muck-monster, Garbageman really looks great. Kevin Maguire is of course a master of facial expressions, and in a story consisting of someone having a conversation with themselves, his skills are put to good use. The colours of Rosemary Cheetham (someone who I've met, name-dropper!) are also good here, as she has to do a lot of backgrounds. So yeah, the art here was decent, certainly bumping up the grade a few notches.

Best Line - Umm... er... 'Well, hellloooo! At long last! Sweet Conversation!'

5/10

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 am

Punchy, would you recommend anyone buy this comic?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am

Eli Katz wrote:Punchy, would you recommend anyone buy this comic?

I would recommend that fans of Lobo, Kevin Maguire and Aaron Lopresti buy it.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:59 am

Eli Katz wrote:Punchy, would you recommend anyone buy this comic?

I would recommend hawk purchase and review it since he has yet to make any comment of note on the subject.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 481 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 pm

wow
in 2010 the three worst books I read were all from Marvel; it seems that DC was upset that it was left off the final list and made an early push for 2011's worst book.

shit was shit
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Punchy wrote:
I would recommend that fans of Lobo, Kevin Maguire and Aaron Lopresti buy it.

i am a fan of Lopresti and a huge fan of Maguire and i've already thrown this turd in the trash.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I need to read this now to see if it's really that bad. When I saw "Garbageman" the first thing I recalled was Aaron Lopresti's early work on Sludge

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 584 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

This thread shall never die!!!

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:This thread shall never die!!!

Post a review ya jerk!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Hawk, just keep taunting John with the promise of a review.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm

John Snow wrote:
Post a review ya jerk!

Sometime in the future, the UN sends weapons inspector Nathan Kane to a space station above Jupiter, where an exploratory team has made an alarming and ominous discovery: beneath the icy exterior of the planet's ocean moon, Europa, are coffins containing members of a sleeping alien race and guns capable of destroying an entire planet. As Kane and the station crew investigate, they are threatened by the sinister representative of a powerful software conglomerate seeking to exploit the discovery for its own purposes. Writer Ellis is at his best with character-based sf in which an iconoclastic protagonist is injected into an intriguing, futuristic premise, as in the cult favorite Transmetropolitan. Ocean lacks Transmet's verve and attitude, even though Kane is a resourceful badass like Transmet's Spider Jerusalem (classier, however; think Samuel L. Jackson for the movie), but is still a solid, provocative yarn that, emphasizing concept and character rather than action and heroics, and greatly aided by Chris Sprouse's lucid art, comes off rather like an ambitious, big-budget sf film.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Hawk, just keep taunting John with the promise of a review.

What promise? We can't let him get away with Harty Pottering this thing.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Sometime in the future, the UN sends weapons inspector Nathan Kane to a space station above Jupiter, where an exploratory team has made an alarming and ominous discovery: beneath the icy exterior of the planet's ocean moon, Europa, are coffins containing members of a sleeping alien race and guns capable of destroying an entire planet. As Kane and the station crew investigate, they are threatened by the sinister representative of a powerful software conglomerate seeking to exploit the discovery for its own purposes. Writer Ellis is at his best with character-based sf in which an iconoclastic protagonist is injected into an intriguing, futuristic premise, as in the cult favorite Transmetropolitan. Ocean lacks Transmet's verve and attitude, even though Kane is a resourceful badass like Transmet's Spider Jerusalem (classier, however; think Samuel L. Jackson for the movie), but is still a solid, provocative yarn that, emphasizing concept and character rather than action and heroics, and greatly aided by Chris Sprouse's lucid art, comes off rather like an ambitious, big-budget sf film.

Ocean is what it looks like when Warren Ellis phones it in, which is about 57.3% of his career output.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 pm

John Snow wrote:
Ocean is what it looks like when Warren Ellis phones it in, which is about 57.3% of his career output.

Ocean was good until the rushed ending.

Also, I got that review from Amazon.

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Also, I got that review from Amazon.

Really? I stopped reading after Nathan Kane.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand