Advertisement

Review Group Week #258: The Spirit #10

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

God-Man
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Review Group Week #258: The Spirit #10

Postby God-Man » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:35 am

Good issue. Roscoe was a pretty well sketched character, and I liked seeing how his obsessions slowly consumed him throughout the story. It was also a good example of how powerful the character and idea of The Spirit is in that universe. The man himself is pretty ordinary, but his legend is anything but.

http://www.jorellrivera.com

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:44 am

For anyone who can't find this comic, my copy will be available to be sent out early next week. I already have one Review Grouper reading it, so I can send it out after he's finished with it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:I don't see why you need to be gay to like Avenue Q.

No one said you did. :?

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 am

Victorious Squid wrote:
No one said you did. :?

It was strongly implied, Mr. "I like Avenue Q despite the fact I'm straight." :outhouse:
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:38 am

I'm gonna Byrne The Spirit on Tuesday unless I can magic the cash for it out of my bank account that afternoon.

Back on topic though: I hate musicals. Hate 'em all.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:43 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
It was strongly implied, Mr. "I like Avenue Q despite the fact I'm straight." :outhouse:

Wow, Royal, you really misinterpreted that whole [joking around] exchange.

In fact, it was neither stated nor implied.

The point was, it's okay for fourthy to admit he liked Rent and there's no reason to think that makes him gay, which he thought we were indicating it did. Because if liking Ave Q doesn't magically mean you're gay, why would Rent?

Rest assured when you finally read The Spirit it won't tax your reading comprehension nearly as much.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 529 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:46 am

Liking Rent does make you gay. I don't know what Avenue Q is, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that makes you gay too. :-D
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 am

Victorious Squid wrote:
Wow, Royal, you really misinterpreted that whole [joking around] exchange.

In fact, it was neither stated nor implied.

The point was, it's okay for fourthy to admit he liked Rent and there's no reason to think that makes him gay, which he thought we were indicating it did. Because if liking Ave Q doesn't magically mean you're gay, why would Rent?

Rest assured when you finally read The Spirit it won't tax your reading comprehension nearly as much.

:? I was joking around too.

Unless this response was also a joke, in which case, well played.

I think posting in this thread makes you gay.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:

Well Jude's been posting in it quite a lot so we can't rule it out.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:10 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:

:P Your first response I did think you might've been for real, but not by the second one.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 am

Jude Terror wrote:Liking Rent does make you gay. I don't know what Avenue Q is, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that makes you gay too. :-D

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:31 am

Jude Terror wrote:Liking Rent does make you gay. I don't know what Avenue Q is, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that makes you gay too. :-D

I actually think you might like Avenue Q, Jude. It's pretty irreverent.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:38 pm

starlord wrote:
Lately...? not really... :-(

Buy Who is Jake Ellis? #1. :x

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:56 pm

starlord wrote:The Spirit #10I didn't like The Spirit that much but I do like Avenue Q.

Story: 5
Art: 4
My Score: 4

Really? I'm curious why you gave it a failing score.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 pm

The Spirit #10

The hardest books for me to review are the books I liked, but didn't love. Books where I appreciate the craft, but it didn't quite leave me wanting more. I really enjoy writing reviews for books I thought were fantastic, or that took me by surprise. I take a different sort of pleasure from writing even just a scathing paragraph about a book I absolutely despise. But a book I thought was pretty good? Is a lot more difficult.

But hey, I liked The Spirit #10!

I just didn't love it.

So I will borrow a quote here from the real-life Mikhail Kalashnikov, from whom the unfortunate protagonist in the story is named probably and inventor of the AK-47: "Before attempting to create something new, it is vital to have a good appreciation of everything that already exists in this field."

It's clear David Hine has an excellent appreciation of what makes for classic Eisner-era Spirit: the self-contained and tidy story without a single sub-plot or loose end, the mix of genre elements using a crime, some wry humor, and even a little horror. But the story of this Kalashnikov,a mentally-ill burglar who hallucinates the crooked old fence he unloads his ill-gotten goods on is a giant bug and kills her then is haunted to suicide by an oath she makes before dying, first makes the reader empathize for the criminal by showing the horrific abuse he was subjected to as a child. The true villain here is the father, shown only in the beginning flashback. Even the old woman he kills--and no, "Mary Jane" doesn't do that--is crooked, herself a criminal and pretty despicable on top of that. So when he shoots her, I give a big ol' shrug of the shoulders, but poor Kalashnikov here totally fucking loses it and, in a classic "eaten alive by their own guilt" scene, sees reminders of The Spirit everywhere until he turns the gun on himself. Speaking of that gun, how exactly did Kalashnikov remember to ditch the used silencer, but not the gun itself? Or not notice the gun in his coat pocket before then, guns being sorta heavy? But then Roscoe K sets himself up for an episode of World's Dumbest Criminals and leaves his wallet on the table? I'm not sure this guy was cut out for the crime world, really.

Real-life Kalashnikov again: "Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple."

Ok fair enough, I won't ask any more questions. He has time for just one more dumb move, hiding in the basement instead of just tossing his rod like a sensible guy. Poor old Roscoe Kalashnikov. It seems very familiar somehow, like I've seen or read a very similar story before,and The Spirit himself is barely in the book at all, so it seems unfair to judge it as a Spirit book at all really--more like one of those archetypal morality tales we tell ourselves over and over.

The art is at times reminiscent of Eisner as well, but only at times. Oh, and if your gunman is left-handed in real life, he's also liable to be left-handed in his imagination--a minor quibble for sure. A bigger gripe would be that even as little as he appears, The Spirit's face looks actually swiped from Eisner in some panels and more like a weird pseudo-anime version of himself in others. It's not consistent, and in some panels I did not like how he looked at all. It definitely felt like there were two styles at war here, the artist's style, and the artist-doing-Eisner's style and you can't merely look like you're imitating a writer/artist creator of that calibur some of the time. Especially with coloring this bad. Seriously, I am not going to look for the colorist's name in case I remember it. Work on that level should be forgotten anyway. It was abysmal.

So, I would give this an 8, but the truly shit-bad peas 'n' vomit coloring drops me to a

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand