Advertisement

Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Postby ****** » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:29 pm

I ordered a copy of this so I won't have it for a few days, but I've magically found a way to read it without removing it from it's polybag and ruining it's projected MGS riches. Good issue, I'll procrastinate for a few days before writing a review.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 pm

I want to know exactly what Torch had to do on the other side that Herbie couldn't have simply been instructed to do? :?

Genius kids, my ass.

Don't even get me started on Franklin, who once put the whole team in another universe.

Someone had to die!

Just don't pay much attention as to why.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

I can't fit anything extra into my budget this week, so I'm going to have to pass this time.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 pm

What are the odds that most of Victoria Squid's review will be about the Death Bag?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 292 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm

With this issue of the Fantastic Four, Hickman did not disappoint.

Wait a sec - yes he did.

One complaint that I've had with the Fantastic Four since the last days of Waid/Kesel is that they aren't a team. It's like the book is the solo adventures of the Fantastic Four, and on the anniversary of their 50th year the book opens up with, yup, the team not being a team. In fact apart from different panels on the opening page, they're not together anywhere in this book.

That's minus 1.

Valerie Richards - ugh.

That's minus 2.

Sue Richards' story and 'supposed' death threat was some simple political discussion? Yawn. Nice use of an armored arm (but c'mon, it's still her muscles throwing the punch and no way does Namor go down).

Reed Richards is off trying to save a planet from Galactus. That's cool!
The planet is Nu-World. Not cool. Didn't care for the place with Millar and I really didn't care for it when Hickman brought it back (I dropped the FF shortly after that).

There's a big head. Uhm - okay. The Maestro wants to fight (the Hulk Maestro?) but never does (?). They leave the planet. Galactus stands in some reverse Kirby Krackle. Really? That's it? And I thought Sue's story was boring.

And then the main scene. After Hickman dazzles us ( :roll: ) with psuedoscience jargon for what seemed an eternity, the only way to stop the bugs is for someone to stay behind and enter 1-2-3-4 onto a keypad.

My droid doubles as a Tivo remote control and Valerie couldn't figure out how to just radio the code over? It's not like light and sound couldn't get through the barrier (hell a pointed stick could have work at this rate). As someone else said - why not send a HERBIE? Dumb. Just dumb.

And fuck the Avengers for not showing up when called.

Artwise it was okay. Some panels were beautiful (Johnny's last stand) and others were silly (the bighead). The coloring was gawdawful.

Yes, I went in expecting to dislike this issue, and that, is the only thing that Hickman did not disappoint me with.

Story - 0
Art - 5

Overall - 2.5

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 pm

And fuck the Avengers for not showing up when called.

:lol:

Apparently all 9 Avengers teams were busy.

Also, why does the vibranium shield work here? I thought it was all inert now?

And how is Leech shown standing with the other kids two pages and like 15 seconds after being knocked out so Franklin can [barely] use his powers?

If Reed covertly put Leech in Franklin's room to nullify his re-awakened ability, how does Leech know to have himself knocked out? It wouldn't make sense for Reed to actually tell Leech Franklin has his godlike powers back, because kids would invariably tell each other stuff adults don't want them to.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Amoebas wrote:
Yes, I went in expecting to dislike this issue, and that, is the only thing that Hickman did not disappoint me with.

Story - 0
Art - 5

Overall - 2.5

Yikes. But not surprised.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Just finished the issue and well, in the end it was still a piece of shit. I read all of Hickmans FF over the weekend and what I said of him not knowing how to write Johnny just holds true to his death. Johnny maybe had 2 dozen lines across 18 issues? Also I definitely prefer Eaglesham on art to Epting or Edwards pretending to be Hitch than Epting. He just didn't fit this story or these characters at all. This issue was supposed to be the culmination of all the ties of what's been happening in FF and really it isn't it just feels tacked on again. This run had some great moments and great issues but this wasn't one of them.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 am

All three stores in Leeds sold out of this, so I guess my review will have to wait until the inevitable 2nd print.

Unless one of you MGS reprobates with multiple copies is willing to part with one for cover price?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Oh and the best moment of this issue was knocking Leach out. That part was awesome.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Punchy wrote:All three stores in Leeds sold out of this, so I guess my review will have to wait until the inevitable 2nd print.

Unless one of you MGS reprobates with multiple copies is willing to part with one for cover price?

It's suck if a Leeds Review Grouper had two spare copies already on eBay wouldn't it...

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 292 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Oh and the best moment of this issue was knocking Leach out. That part was awesome.

Even more awesome was how he somehow regained consciousness just a couple panels later. :roll:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Zero wrote:
It's suck if a Leeds Review Grouper had two spare copies already on eBay wouldn't it...

Yes it would!

Be a pal!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Punchy wrote:All three stores in Leeds sold out of this, so I guess my review will have to wait until the inevitable 2nd print.

I thought they swore they weren't going back to print on this?

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
I thought they swore they weren't going back to print on this?

No. They swore they weren't going to overprint.

In other words, whatever the stores order is what's out there. There's no 2nd shipment of the first printing out there.

So either get it now, wait a month for Printing 2, or be at the mercy of the Sellers on E-Bay.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand