Advertisement

Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 pm

MGS alert--check the resale on some of the other recent 1st print FF issues, including #585:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Four-585- ... 500wt_1156

John, if you bought a run of the first printings like you said, you stand to make a shit-ton of money off of them if you check.

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:13 pm

:lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

John Snow wrote::lol:

And you're welcome! :-D

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 pm

My store got shipped 153 extra copies. :-D

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:08 pm

BlueStreak wrote:My store got shipped 153 extra copies. :-D

No shit, they weren't concerned with limiting quantities at all.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

I haven't read this yet, but don't think I will, mainly for the items you guys pointed out.

I really do like Hickman's work on Secret Warriors, and I think he's extremely talented.

But it was clear, after reading even a few of his FF stories, that he had no freaking clue what to do with Johnny Storm. He simply had no use for the character, and he said as much in his interview on the 'Rama's front page (I read that before I registered here, last night.)

We've all been around this block before. There's going to be deaths and resurrections and comics, and that's fine. We get it.

But they never are more irritating than when a creator clearly has no use for the character they kill and simply uses that death to move other characters to another place they like better.

Hey, I freely admit that writing Fantastic Four is probably hard as hell, at times. But at the end of the day, each of those four characters has, or has the potential to have, great stories told with them, each and every month.

Sooooo...no, I can't officially review it. I won't cheat by leaving a score. But man, it's frustrating when a character so clearly not valued by a creator is cast aside.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Sooooo...no, I can't officially review it. I won't cheat by leaving a score. But man, it's frustrating when a character so clearly not valued by a creator is cast aside.

Welcome to the Outhouse where cheating is not only allowed but encouraged. :-D

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Amoebas wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse where cheating is not only allowed but encouraged. :-D

Ha! OK, then!

SCREW YOU, HICKMAN! Johnny Storm was my favorite one, and it's a big bucketful of fail that he didn't even get to go out with a Nova Blast! Damn it! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

Story: 0
Art: 8 from the panels I've seen
ElijahSnowFan Irritation: Infinite

Final rating: Epic Freaking Fail

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:28 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! OK, then!

SCREW YOU, HICKMAN! Johnny Storm was my favorite one, and it's a big bucketful of fail that he didn't even get to go out with a Nova Blast! Damn it! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

:lol: Awesome

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 pm

New member! Just in time for Anniversary Week!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! OK, then!

The Hicklash is strong in this one. :shock:

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Victorious Squid wrote:
The Hicklash is strong in this one. :shock:

Ha! Actually, for this particular instance, more than anything.

Hickman's been pretty much golden, and really, I haven't had a problem with how he's killed characters before -- people get lit up in Secret Warriors all the time, and I think that run's been borderline brilliant.

But this one...well, it bothers me, mainly because I expect more from Hickman. Death's a cliche. It's not interesting anymore, and whether Johnny Storm is dead for 12 months or 12 years or 50 years, the bottom line is that he was deemed most expendable because really, Hickman thought he didn't fit into modern storytelling and he couldn't use him.

OK. As fans, we go around and around on this all the time. I just wish Hickman would've taken the road less traveled and had Johnny Storm leave the book some other way and just made the changes he wants to make to the franchise without taking the character off the board.

As always, it's not whether you dislike a character or not. It's whether you respect the character, and for once, I just felt like Hickman simply didn't respect the character much at all -- like it's the character's fault that no one ever really developed him, you know?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

Hickman's been pretty much golden, and really, I haven't had a problem with how he's killed characters before -- people get lit up in Secret Warriors all the time, and I think that run's been borderline brilliant.

But this one...well, it bothers me, mainly because I expect more from Hickman. Death's a cliche. It's not interesting anymore, and whether Johnny Storm is dead for 12 months or 12 years or 50 years, the bottom line is that he was deemed most expendable because really, Hickman thought he didn't fit into modern storytelling and he couldn't use him.

OK. As fans, we go around and around on this all the time. I just wish Hickman would've taken the road less traveled and had Johnny Storm leave the book some other way and just made the changes he wants to make to the franchise without taking the character off the board.

As always, it's not whether you dislike a character or not. It's whether you respect the character, and for once, I just felt like Hickman simply didn't respect the character much at all -- like it's the character's fault that no one ever really developed him, you know?

Most people here know this already, but I like Hickman's earlier work and am not so satisfied with his Marvel output. (That being said, I've only read the first hardcover of his Secret Warriors run--and I liked it but nowhere near the order of Nightly News or Pax Romana.)

I've said too that he never really seemed to know how to write Johnny, especially his use of powers. (Of course, he's still light-years ahead of Joe Ahearne who wrote the gawdawful abortion annual last year.)

I'm not at all sure I'm on board for the relaunch in a few months, although the FF are one of my favorite superhero franchises.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

Here's the thing, someone did try to develop Johnny.

But since that develop took place in the 90's, it was automatically deemed shit and thrown away.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Here's the thing, someone did try to develop Johnny.

But since that develop took place in the 90's, it was automatically deemed shit and thrown away.

Hard to imagine why.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand