Advertisement

Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Here's the thing, someone did try to develop Johnny.

But since that develop took place in the 90's, it was automatically deemed shit and thrown away.

I wasn't a comics reader in the '90s, who or what?

All I know about the '90s FF is Sue had a hot navel piercing.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Anyways, just read it and wished I would have left it in the stupid death bag. This inspires no confidence to read the rest of this run.

I bought an extra copy to go into the permanent collection and another one just in case someone here needed a copy. I'll need reimbursed because I'm giving away two trades this week, but there's a copy out if someone wants to read the "Issue Better Left in a Death Bag".

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:54 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Anyways, just read it and wished I would have left it in the stupid death bag. This inspires no confidence to read the rest of this run.

I bought an extra copy to go into the permanent collection and another one just in case someone here needed a copy. I'll need reimbursed because I'm giving away two trades this week, but there's a copy out if someone wants to read the "Issue Better Left in a Death Bag".
I had no plans to read this but then you guilt-tripped-forced me too for the Review Group.

Welcome to my pain. :-D

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 am

Here's my main problem with FANTASTIC FOUR #587: the death is boring and cliched. Johnny sacrifices himself to save everyone else. I know, I know, this is what heroes are supposed to do. But I have seen this type of heroic death depicted so many times, in so many different ways, that I just cannot muster an emotional response to yet another sacrificial hero story. Remember the cheesy finale in Armageddon, where Bruce Willis kills himself to blow up the asteroid and save the day? Or do you remember when Leonardo Dicaprio sacrifices himself at the end of Titanic to save his true love? Or do you remember when Arnold destroys himself at the end of Terminator 2 to ensure that the deadly robot technology is eliminated from the world? Or do you remember … well, you get the point. Johnny pushing Ben through the portal at the last second and placing himself in harm’s way is so utterly predictable. And disappointing. And cheesy.

Death is overdone in comics. So if death is going to be used to boost publicity and sales, I wish the deaths would at least be unusual. The death of Johnny Storm is just a cheap stunt, with no emotional complexity.

STORY: 1
ART: 8
OVERALL: 4.5

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 187 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:53 am

Eli Katz wrote:Here's my main problem with FANTASTIC FOUR #587: the death is boring and cliched. Johnny sacrifices himself to save everyone else. I know, I know, this is what heroes are supposed to do. But I have seen this type of heroic death depicted so many times, in so many different ways, that I just cannot muster an emotional response to yet another sacrificial hero story. Remember the cheesy finale in Armageddon, where Bruce Willis kills himself to blow up the asteroid and save the day? Or do you remember when Leonardo Dicaprio sacrifices himself at the end of Titanic to save his true love? Or do you remember when Arnold destroys himself at the end of Terminator 2 to ensure that the deadly robot technology is eliminated from the world? Or do you remember … well, you get the point. Johnny pushing Ben through the portal at the last second and placing himself in harm’s way is so utterly predictable. And disappointing. And cheesy.

Death is overdone in comics. So if death is going to be used to boost publicity and sales, I wish the deaths would at least be unusual. The death of Johnny Storm is just a cheap stunt, with no emotional complexity.

STORY: 1
ART: 8
OVERALL: 4.5

Eli believes that the Human Torch should've died from auto-erotic axphyiation.... Hell, I'm loving that idea!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:14 am

john lewis hawk wrote:Eli believes that the Human Torch should've died from auto-erotic axphyiation.... Hell, I'm loving that idea!

Yes, and to make it creepier, he uses one of Reed's stretchy limbs to accidentally hang himself.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 am

This is going to be my worst review ever but:

Hickman I really enjoyed the start of your run, I enjoy the entirety of your supporting cast and some of your crazy ideas. I love Secret Warriors as well but this? I'm starting to think this was editorially mandated. We see at least 2 of Reed's herbie like Doombots running around during the huge battle and it occurs to none of the brain trust to use a herbie bot instead of an actual human being? Or even having Johnny go supernova with Ben and the kids out of danger?

I mean I get it, shock is shock. But the way this is read, it just feels forced. Johnny may be brash at moments but the 20 something Storm is not a complete idiot. It's just....I expect better from Hickman.

The art was the weakest I've seen in a while from Epting, I was disappointed by it.

Over all: You get a 4 FF, for Marvel's supposed want to be flagship book again, you failed.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:26 am

SilverPhoenix wrote:
Here's the thing, someone did try to develop Johnny.

But since that develop took place in the 90's, it was automatically deemed shit and thrown away.

Mark Waid did Johnny really well, I think we was actually the best character in that run.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:57 am

Mark Waid gave Johnny purpose. The one to ignore that the most? Mark Millar.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 am

I'm surprised anyone expected Millar's FF to be readable, even Millar didn't give a shit by the time someone else finished it for him.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

Cover- Does the cover art contain Galactus??? Barely. The problem with this cover is, the fantastic four is on it... If it only had Galactus it would have scored higher. (6/10)

Story- Jumped into the middle/end of this story arc and i've never read any other fantastic four issues before. sooooo, I was completly lost the whole time. Reed is saving a giant brain from Galactus <--- why isn't he is this issue more? Sue is off punching 2nd string marval Aquaman <---- why isn't Aquaman in this issue more? Johnny and Ben are reenacting Armageddon together spmeplace. Johnny's death is lame and is WAY too much like Bruce Willis's death in the above mentioned film with bugs taking the place of a nuke. He dosn't take a single bug with him... (3/10)

Art- There is a lot of talking in this issue, but nobody ever opens their mouth. This drove me crazy! Is this normal for Marvel comics? or the Fantastic Four in general? (3/10)

Overall- I feel really let down by this, I was expecting a pretty awesome death for the Human Torch. This issue just did not deliver. (4/10)

Final Score (4/10)
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 am

Mammon, Fool Breaker wrote:Cover- Does the cover art contain Galactus??? Barely. The problem with this cover is, the fantastic four is on it... If it only had Galactus it would have scored higher. (6/10)

Story- Jumped into the middle/end of this story arc and i've never read any other fantastic four issues before. sooooo, I was completly lost the whole time. Reed is saving a giant brain from Galactus <--- why isn't he is this issue more? Sue is off punching 2nd string marval Aquaman <---- why isn't Aquaman in this issue more? Johnny and Ben are reenacting Armageddon together spmeplace. Johnny's death is lame and is WAY too much like Bruce Willis's death in the above mentioned film with bugs taking the place of a nuke. He dosn't take a single bug with him... (3/10)

Art- There is a lot of talking in this issue, but nobody ever opens their mouth. This drove me crazy! Is this normal for Marvel comics? or the Fantastic Four in general? (3/10)

Overall- I feel really let down by this, I was expecting a pretty awesome death for the Human Torch. This issue just did not deliver. (4/10)

Final Score (4/10)

:-D :-D

This was your first Marvel comic, right?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:20 am

So what are we doing next week with REVIEW GROUP ANNIVERSARY?

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 am

Punchy wrote:So what are we doing next week with REVIEW GROUP ANNIVERSARY?

IMO front page interview with the person who started the review group, and special mention on the Outhouse ticker at the top.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 am

Always Right wrote:
IMO front page interview with the person who started the review group, and special mention on the Outhouse ticker at the top.

BS tracked down Thudpucker? Awesome! :shock:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand