Advertisement

Dan Slott MAYBE Knows Nothing About the Hobgoblin

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Dan Slott MAYBE Knows Nothing About the Hobgoblin

Postby Zechs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=30606

Dan Slott: We've seen Hobgoblin before and we've seen other people take up the mantle of Hobgoblin. In the case of Roderick Kingsley, his story had been told. The most interesting thing about Kingsley was the mystery, "Who is Hobgoblin?" The minute you pull of the mask and it's that creepy old groundskeeper whose been haunting the fairgrounds, the Scooby-Doo adventure is over. It's done! [Laughs] So if you're going to make a new Hobgoblin, you want to look at the pieces that are around and not just give a rerun of history.

So if the most interesting thing about Hobgoblin was the mystery, how do we turn that on it's head? The answer: keep it a mystery for Spidey, but this time, let the readers in on it from the get go.

:smt011 Right there in that entire set of paragraphs and words reveal to me Slott knows absolutely nothing on the character of the Hobgoblin. First off, if fans requested the Hobgoblin, they requested fucking Roderick Kingsley, not a new fuck. Secondly Goblins always had mystery about them. Every sort of Goblin, not just Hob. In the Green Goblin catagory: Norman did, freaking no name clone did, and hell even Bart Hamilton did. Only the original Hobgoblin had that cloud of mystery. Macendale sure as hell didn't, nor did ? from Secret War. Hell fucking Menance was a mystery too.

I love the "His story closed" comment the most. Then why the fuck you bring him back Dan? Oh that's right, cheap ass shock value because you've become a predictable writer. :roll:

I also love the Phil Urich comment he makes in this interview.

How much of Phil's actions as the new Hobgoblin are his own, and how much is motivated by the Goblin serum he was exposed to years ago?

If you're a casual reader and you don't know Phil and you jump into "Big Time" -- right now you have pretty much everything you need to know. If you're a long term Marvel reader, though, you may have read about Phil in both the thirteen issue run of "Green Goblin" and the miniseries " The Loners." In those books you saw how Phil had already taken some steps in a descent towards madness. You may have also read Tom DeFalco's "Spider-Girl" series, and then you'd know that in the future, Phil doesn't need the Goblin mask or the suit to have his powers.

You look at all that together and you go, "Okay I see how all of this works." We'll eventually be hitting some of those beats and clearing things up, but the weird thing is if you've only read "Green Goblin," or only read "The Loners," or "Spider-Girl," part of you might go, "That doesn't feel right," but when you put it all together it kind of does. I understand that some readers might feel like this doesn't jibe with what they know about Phil. All good things in time though. We'll get to some more stuff next time we see Hobgoblin in ASM. In the meantime though, keep an eye out for Phil and the Hobgoblin in other Marvel titles, like "Spider-Girl" and the new "Herc" book!

LAZY writing right there. You want answers? Don't look to my run of Amazing Spider-Man. WTF? That's the answer? Well okay. I won't until your off this goddamn book. Also correct me if I'm wrong here, but Spider-Girl isn't in continuity right? So.. yeah. Even more confusing is how he phrases it. People going into Paul Tobin's Spider-Girl ain't gonna know shit what he talks of.

I want Dan Slott off of Spider-Man. This indeed is a big flop.
Last edited by Zechs on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Dan Slott Continues to Know Nothing About the Hobgoblin

Postby bkthomson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:01 pm

More, and more I contiune to feel that Slott is the wrong man for Spider-Man. Get Kelly or Waid.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 pm

More and more Slott exposes himself for the fanboy writer he is. He's ok making in jokes on books like Thing and She Hulk, but his love for the history of comics does not make interesting reading. Wouldn't like Kelly or Waid or Niceza or Kirkman or Simone for the same reasons. JMS made Spider-man slightly interesting. He was a teacher and he had new enemies and his ID was revealed. Then... it's all back to how it was.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Someone's aiming for an unflattering mention in ASM...

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Always Right wrote:More and more Slott exposes himself for the fanboy writer he is. He's ok making in jokes on books like Thing and She Hulk, but his love for the history of comics does not make interesting reading. Wouldn't like Kelly or Waid or Niceza or Kirkman or Simone for the same reasons. JMS made Spider-man slightly interesting. He was a teacher and he had new enemies and his ID was revealed. Then... it's all back to how it was.

The thing is, if Slott was truly a fanboy writer he fully understand the character of the Hobgoblin. He's comparing the original Hobgoblin to the no name clone. In other words he's comparing Roger Stern's opus to actually concluding the original Hobgoblin Saga, nothing more than a Scooby Doo episode. :smt013

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Roderick Kingsley, not a new fuck.
Kigsley is a new fuck
Hobgoblin had a personality. there was no connection to Kingsley that anyone new until the 90s. that reveal, 15 yrs too late, was then the only time we saw Kingsley as the Hiobgoblin. and acting diffeently than hobby used to act. for the 15 yrs prior, we were told it was Ned, and it was. The hobgoblin that existed back then, regardless of whether it was Ned, Kingsley, or whatever was not dependnent on the personalities of Ned or Kingsley.

But the Hobgoblin's coolness was in fact the mystery. that's what he had. Who is he? What's his motivation? etc.

Then we foudn out. Twicwe. and both times it sucked.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Zechs wrote:[ The thing is, if Slott was truly a fanboy writer he fully understand the character of the Hobgoblin. He's comparing the original Hobgoblin to the no name clone. In other words he's comparing Roger Stern's opus to actually concluding the original Hobgoblin Saga, nothing more than a Scooby Doo episode. :smt013

It was WORSE.

Hey guess what guys. The goblin wasn't Ned. It was some minor background character no one has written about, thought about in 15 yrs, and never cared about.

and we pulled it off how? Through the old "evil twin" ruse :lol:

It was PATHETIC. and never should have been written.

Some dude no one liked. yayyyyy.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Brain of Steel wrote:Roderick Kingsley, not a new fuck.
Kigsley is a new fuck
Hobgoblin had a personality. there was no connection to Kingsley that anyone new until the 90s. that reveal, 15 yrs too late, was then the only time we saw Kingsley as the Hiobgoblin. and acting diffeently than hobby used to act. for the 15 yrs prior, we were told it was Ned, and it was. The hobgoblin that existed back then, regardless of whether it was Ned, Kingsley, or whatever was not dependnent on the personalities of Ned or Kingsley.

But the Hobgoblin's coolness was in fact the mystery. that's what he had. Who is he? What's his motivation? etc.

Then we foudn out. Twicwe. and both times it sucked.

You do realize the revelation with Ned as the Hobgoblin made no fucking sense whatsoever and had plot holes so thick they make George Lucas blush? Futhermore, correct me if I'm wrong here but um.. every story of the Hobgoblin in the 80s save for the Gang War because it seemed rush the revelation never really raised the question who the Hobgoblin was? Everytime that was the third concern of the story? The writers took their time.

And if you really read the Stern parts, he left the seeds of the evil twin all throughout his run.
Last edited by Zechs on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I liked the first issue of big time alright. Each issue has been getting worse and worse though. Slott is the wrong guy for Spider-man.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Brain of Steel wrote:

It was WORSE.

Hey guess what guys. The goblin wasn't Ned. It was some minor background character no one has written about, thought about in 15 yrs, and never cared about.

and we pulled it off how? Through the old "evil twin" ruse :lol:

It was PATHETIC. and never should have been written.

Some dude no one liked. yayyyyy.

So what your saying is, Stern should never have wrote Spider-Man, because he put that plot point in his original run? Futhermore, your saying Stern should never have came back to revisit storyline that had an awful climax. Because that what the Hobgoblin Saga ended, awful. Here you had a thrilling rogue killed OFF PANEL and in A DIFFERENT COMIC.

What never should have been written was Ned being revealed as the Hobgoblin. It was stupid then as it was now. Futhermore, what your saying is a dude who actively played a part in the Hobgoblin Saga, who got "killed" also (people seem to forget the post issues in Web of Spidey that "cleared" the remainder of the Saga, yet left more holes).

Also remember when Stan Lee and Steve Ditko fought over who the original Green Goblin was going to be? Stan wanted someone close to Peter. Steve wanted someone who was a nobody. Stan won, Steve left the book.

To be the total anti-Green Goblin, the Hobgoblin had to be a nobody in Peter's life, Ned was a somebody. And even still you actually stomached the revelation what they gave with Ned as the Hobgoblin? Reading from Stern's to DeFalco's to PAD parts?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:40 pm

I've never read the original hobgoblin stuff, but I do know that Stern is a great writer.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 798 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:43 pm

*Adds Dan Slott to shit list. Respect to Zechs*
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 pm

AMS wrote:I've never read the original hobgoblin stuff, but I do know that Stern is a great writer.

You really should. You'll have your chance in late May 2011 to re-read the "current" appearances of the original Hobgoblin when Marvel reprints Hobgoblin Lives with Goblins at the Gate. There's some great art by Ron Frenz, George Perez, and Luke Ross in it besides Stern writing the character he created to begin with and answering all those stupid plot holes.

There is another trade containing Stern's entire original Hobgoblin run, but Marvel refuses to republish it. You'll have to fork over a pretty penny for a good copy, but I've seen less than perfect copies for $5 at cons.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:52 pm

The only thing that made Kingsley cool is that final panel where he got away and was sipping drinks on the beach.

There was nothing more to do with the character and he never should have come back, unless he got away again at the end of the story never to return, and even that would have taken away some of his coolness.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:The only thing that made Kingsley cool is that final panel where he got away and was sipping drinks on the beach.

There was nothing more to do with the character and he never should have come back, unless he got away again at the end of the story never to return, and even that would have taken away some of his coolness.

I can see several tales of him returning just to spite Norman, Spidey, various criminal underworlders, and escaping as you said just because he's Kingsley. I don't care if Slott brings him back or not but the way he's currently playing it up sounds assuringly he understands nothing of the original Hobgoblin. The very paragraph I posted above shows it.

To compare Kingsley to the fucking no name clone is what pisses me off more because that's what Dan is comparing Kingsley too. :smt013 Futhermore using cheap stunts to goat fans of Kingsley to come back.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand