Advertisement

Dan Slott MAYBE Knows Nothing About the Hobgoblin

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spidey-Man

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Dan Slott Continues to Know Nothing About the Hobgoblin

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Zechs wrote:
I know DeFalco claims his Hobgoblin wasn't Leeds. But you said yourself everyone believed him to be Ned who read the book. Your words not mine.

No I did not. I never loved it when he was revealed to be Ned Leeds. I always hated it. What part of that can't you understand?

What you dont understand is you loved Hobgoblin. Not Kingsley. Hobgoblin

Peopel who loved Vader in Star Wars A New Hope didnt love Anakin Skywalker. They loved Darth Vader. There was no anakin to love. there was no kingsley as Goblin to love.

Its not possible to love Kingsley as Goblin until he's revealed as such and going forward stories are told with him as such.

Advertisement

Doozer
cheese

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Doozer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:10 pm

AMS, i get where you're coming from, but you and Zechs seem to misunderstand the current market.

The only books that are really going to sell 70k+ monthly are Bendis, Morrison and events. If you take events and renumbering out, then that leaves Bendis and Morrison, and those guys can only write so many books. ASM is consistently one of the top selling non-event books on the market. It's reasonably self contained and has been able to keep up sales without relying on massive tie-ins to other books or company wide crossovers.

For a book that's had a lot of upheaval, doesn't directly tie into big events in a way that disrupts story lines and features a rotating creative lineup, that's pretty good.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Also let me point out this fact as well. The Spidey writers I think knew the original Hobgoblin was returning and it was Kingsley. Hence Mackie giving one more huge ride with Macendale and the utter situation (and ironic) that Macendale for all his newfound power and rep in the underworld now he still had absolutely nothing.

Also Spider-Man Unlimited #14 is another key example of that with Jonah running into all the old suspects of the Hobgoblin Saga including Kingsley himself. Even more intriguing Kingsley wasn't acting like any of his later half appearances during the tail end of the Hobgoblin Saga. I should further note it was even released month before Hobgoblin Lives.

Honestly, you ain't gonna change any of my views. You know I'm too thick headed for that. You're just making me enjoy my day by talking about my fav Spidey character. :-D

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Spidey-Man

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Sales have dipped a lot with Amazing

Im not sure that's what they intended after OMD. It's certainly not what they claimed would happen.

they claimed all these people who were offput by the mqarriage would jump on board. that apparently didnt happen. They lost alot of pro-marriage people. and now they've lost other readers too given the marketplace and economy.

they are helped somewhat they if you do buy it, you HAVE to buy all three books.

But it also hurts. some people dont want to buy three spidey books. and the constant creator changes gives constant jumping off points as much as it does jumping on.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Doozer wrote:AMS, i get where you're coming from, but you and Zechs seem to misunderstand the current market.

The only books that are really going to sell 70k+ monthly are Bendis, Morrison and events. If you take events and renumbering out, then that leaves Bendis and Morrison, and those guys can only write so many books. ASM is consistently one of the top selling non-event books on the market. It's reasonably self contained and has been able to keep up sales without relying on massive tie-ins to other books or company wide crossovers.

For a book that's had a lot of upheaval, doesn't directly tie into big events in a way that disrupts story lines and features a rotating creative lineup, that's pretty good.

I'm not commenting on the numbers I'm commenting on the relation to the book on sales to other titles, specifically at Marvel. I think the book could and should be doing better in the market. The highest selling single issue of Spider-man all year was the first issue of Big time, which is an "event" for the character. Now I assume that the book is again losing readers.

No you can't have Bendis write every title, but out of all the writers in the bull pen on spidey why choose slot as the main guy?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Doozer wrote:AMS, i get where you're coming from, but you and Zechs seem to misunderstand the current market.

A man named Geoff Johns writer of Flash and one of two GL books would like to have a word with you. Also two Bendis books sell over 70k+ and both are Avengers. None of his other books sell as much. Also you forget to mention that the Batman books appear to be spreading like wildfire as well. But for how long, who knows? Also I might be wrong here but anything named Wolverine still sells.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Brain of Steel wrote:
What you dont understand is you loved Hobgoblin. Not Kingsley. Hobgoblin

Peopel who loved Vader in Star Wars A New Hope didnt love Anakin Skywalker. They loved Darth Vader. There was no anakin to love. there was no kingsley as Goblin to love.

Its not possible to love Kingsley as Goblin until he's revealed as such and going forward stories are told with him as such.

Alas for you I saw Return of the Jedi first. Don't ask, I just have vague memories of being scared shitless of Jabba and enthralled by Darth Vader. :P So what your saying is I love Hobgoblin, not Roderick Kingsley. But if we go by that measure I love Cassandra Cain, not Batgirl, or Holiday (aka Long Halloween).

Thing is.. you're comparing the Hobgoblin identity separately when you shouldn't. You have to consider the man behind the mask given the actions they take. Put someone else in that mask they won't be the same (like Macendale or Urich). That's why I always thought Ned as the original Hobgoblin was bogus. The actions and plot holes of Ned in his Hobgoblin career never made any sense given Stern and DeFalco before him (obviously suggesting the person had to be different and given the nature of the Hobgoblin sending out dupes you have to think Ned was one). Which was why I was giddy like a six year old again when Hobgoblin Lives came out. Stern retcons and changes events to exactly that. Ned is out and enter Kingsley.

Futhermore, I look to multimedia as well specifically Spectacular Spider-Man. We got Norman first in that and it was a good six episodes before they hit the Green Goblin. Even then the mystery was intriguing with how they pulled off that revelation. Yet, remember in those threads I was always the person who still believed Norman was still the Goblin. S2 series finale bam I was totally right. And guess they introduced in S2 and if they had a S3 destined to be Hobgoblin? Roderick Kingsley. Even more they listed him as Kingsley in the episode to allude that we could have had his twin bro be him for a couple of scenes.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 pm

That Kingsley was a Kingpin lite, not a fashion/cosmetics designer.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Zechs wrote:Honestly, you ain't gonna change any of my views. You know I'm too thick headed for that. You're just making me enjoy my day by talking about my fav Spidey character. :-D

Too bad he's dead.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:That Kingsley was a Kingpin lite, not a fashion/cosmetics designer.

Actually he did run cosmetics, Peter even asked what's his face what the heck a dude who runs cosmetics is doing with a crowd of supervillains and gangsters.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Zechs, I realize you have a very tenuous grip with reality but here's some facts:

Amazing Spider-Man was the 13th best selling comic in the month of December. The only Marvel titles to sell more were Avengers (written by Bendis), New Avengers (written by Bendis) & Wolverine: The Best There Is #1 (A new Wolverine series starting at #1). Every other title was by DC (of which 5 were written by Geoff Johns and the other 4 were Batman titles).

So to sum it up, it's the fourth best selling title out of Marvel but they should listen to you bitch about the death of a twenty year old character because you obviously know a lot more than they do?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 am

Dragavon wrote:Zechs, I realize you have a very tenuous grip with reality but here's some facts:

Amazing Spider-Man was the 13th best selling comic in the month of December. The only Marvel titles to sell more were Avengers (written by Bendis), New Avengers (written by Bendis) & Wolverine: The Best There Is #1 (A new Wolverine series starting at #1). Every other title was by DC (of which 5 were written by Geoff Johns and the other 4 were Batman titles).

So to sum it up, it's the fourth best selling title out of Marvel but they should listen to you bitch about the death of a twenty year old character because you obviously know a lot more than they do?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

All I have to say to you is..

:smt013

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 648 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 am

Oh shit is Zechs about to get pwned? And I was about to go to bed!

Dan Slott
Birdman

Postby Dan Slott » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:16 am

Zechs wrote:Spidey should be the second or first best selling book at Marvel. But it ain't.

I'm sorry. But at this point you should retitle the thread Zechs continues to know nothing of the current comic book market. :wink:

Marvel's first and second selling titles ARE Spider-Man titles. (They also happen to have Wolverine in them as well). :) And they're called AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS.
Those two titles are Marvel's perennial best sellers. They're written by Marvel's biggest gun, Brian Michael Bendis. And they regularly chart the course for where the Marvel U. is going. Anyone who's been following the industry for the past half decade who expects ANY other monthly out of Marvel to top that isn't being all that realistic.

That said... Since the start of "Big Time", AMAZING SPIDER-MAN actually HAS charted higher than New Avengers AS Marvel's second best selling book (in November). It was Marvel's 4th best selling book in December. But you should also keep in mind that this ranking is for the book's initial retailer orders in the direct market. The book is actually doing MUCH better than those numbers imply for TWO reasons:

1) Out of all of Marvel's mainstream titles, ASM has the highest SUBSCRIPTIONS (which aren't factored into direct market sales).
2) ALL FIVE of the issues of "Big Time" that have been released so far have SOLD OUT at Diamond and have had to go back to press for 2nd printings. Let me repeat that-- it is FIVE for FIVE for selling out at Diamond. That is a pretty mean feet for ANY book in this industry. And that means that those numbers that you're looking at aren't over yet. The second printing runs STILL haven't been added to the final tallies.

Sorry you don't care for it. But the book is shaping up to be one of Marvel's best selling series and is actually doing VERY well. :D

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:18 am

Aaaand we're done!

Shows over folks. Jude has sung. Time to go home. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand