Advertisement

Review Group #260: Five Year Anniversary!!!!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Re: Review Group #260: Five Year Anniversary!!!!

Postby Greg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 am

I'm leaning towards this.

*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 291 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 am

Eli Katz wrote:If I do something recent, I might do this one:

Although I kinda like this:

And this:

And this:

Do all of them. I never did pick up the War Journal issue (didn't care for the rest of the trade) but I might review those same issues just for the hell of it.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 am

john lewis hawk wrote:Do all of them. I never did pick up the War Journal issue (didn't care for the rest of the trade) but I might review those same issues just for the hell of it.

Sounds cool. I'll do my best.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:37 am

I have no idea what my favorite is so I'm just going to randomly review some issues I really enjoyed. How many I review and what I review really depend on if I keep this being interesting. Anyways...

Wolverine: Weapon X #10
Writer: Jason Aaron
Artist; C.P. Smith

I'm not really a fan of Wolverine's but I'm a huge fan of Aaron's and Smith's so loving this issue is really a no-brainer. Like the cover suggests, this issue deals with Wolverine's love life with him talking to various women in his life from Emma Frost to Jessica Jones. Despite the diverse supporting cast, the most interesting character is Wolverine as he becomes vulnerable and unsure in this story which is very different from his usual characterization. As the reader, you get a strong sense that the new relationship he's entered is not one that he fully understands.

The art is dark and moody with great close-ups of characters' faces. It's intimate and stylish without losing focus on the story.

9/10.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 am

Punisher war journal #4 was my original pick. I may review more than one. 8)

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am

doombug wrote:Punisher war journal #4 was my original pick. I may review more than one. 8)

Well, definitely feel free to review PWJ #4. My first priority is reviewing Scalped.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 am

Green Lantern got me interested in comics.
Green Lantern #52 got me to start buying single issues.
But only one issue can hold the place as "favorite"

-------------------

Green Lantern #50 "Parallax Rebirth" is my review choice for the 5 year anniversary week.

Cover- This is the kind of cover that get me really excited for reading an issue. It is simple, the cover actully relates to what is going to happen in the issue. It isn't over the top with action poses or cluttered with too many heroes/villans. It also has one of my all time favorite villians... Parallax. (8.5/10)

Story- Every word is a joy to read. Aquaman's using his dead son to reach out to Mera, only to have burning blood puked into his face. Hal Jordan's quoting of Empire Strikes back "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside." Sinestro's drive to be the host for Parallax... something I am still looking forward to seeing someday. Carol's fear at losing Hal adds to the drama of what becoming Parallax again might cost him. I could break down this whole issue frame by frame, but I doubt anyone would read it, so i'll stop there. (9/10)

Art- When I think of Green Lantern I think Doug Mahnke. Yea his chins really stand out, but I really don't see it anymore. Excellent pencile and inks! There are a lot of colors flying everywhere but I never felt overwhelmed by them. They seem to have only two main colors per frame. Only a couple frames irked me with how people where positioned but those where few. And if I could have the final two pages in a poster format, It would be on my wall this second. (8/10)

Overall- Everything single aspect of this issue works for me. The dialogue carries humor while not hindering or overshadowing the real emotions of the characters. The art is solid, and the final double page frame is epic. Again, I think I have reached the limit of not rambling, so i'll stop there (9/10)

Final Score- (8.625/10)

Bring it on Hal Jordan haters... You've got nothing on this issue.
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 am

You are crazy.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 am

Mammon's score on the best comic he's ever read: 8.625.

:-D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:42 am

BlueStreak wrote:Mammon's score on the best comic he's ever read: 8.625.

I'll probably give mine a 7 8)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 am

Punchy wrote:
I'll probably give mine a 7 8)

I'd expect nothing less.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 pm

reviewing an issue of starman myself. 8)

(doing a full series spotlight for my return column over on CR)

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 am

Saga of the Swamp Thing #21
Writer: Alan Moore
Artist: Steve Bissette and John Totleben

Man.... I hope I'm using the right cover...

Anyways, a great story hits you hard and delivers a knockout blow that kicks you on your back grasping for relief. That's what Saga of the Swamp Thing #21 does. "The Anatomy Lesson," as the issue's called, is told from the perspective of the Floronic Man, a joke of a super-villain. He gets released from Arkham Asylum and hired by a wealthy yet abusive Army general who recruits the villian to study Alec Holland's, a.k.a. the Swamp Thing, "corpse." The story slowly creeps to it's conclusion with the Swamp Thing discovering that he's never been Holland. And, boy, is he pissed... Which is what the Floronic Man wanted the whole time.

Bissette and Totleben's art perfectly captures Moore's story resulting in the best single issue I've ever read.

12/10

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 am

Daytripper #8
Writer & Artist: Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon

Damn... I love Casanova and Umbrella Academy but I think Daytripper beats the hell out of them. Your artist(s) are beating you, Matt Fraction and Gerald Way. So, as I was reading the Daytripper trade earlier today, which deals with an important moment in the main character Brás de Oliva Domingos's life and his inevitable death soon after (just go buy the trade), I was wondering, "When am I going to see some reactions from Brás's family members?" Then I read issue #8.

When you're reading a great story, you speed up your reading so you can get to the ending quicker and tune everything else out. With Daytripper, you know what the ending will be but there's a hesitation to your reading as you don't want to witness the ending too quickly. With this particular issue, it follows Brás's wife and young child as Brás is on a tour for his new book. Unlike the previous and after issues, there's not a single panel featuring Brás but his presence is on every page. As the story continues, you really get a sense of love that Brás has for his family and vice versa. The ending then becomes very heartbreaking Daytripper shows his family's reactions and how they try to cope with their loss. As the reader, you feel the impace of Brás's death almost as much as his wife and son do.

With them being accomplished artists, Bá and Moon's art perfectly captures the art and gives the story lush, real feel it deserves.

I mean, really, I had only read this trade earlier today and it impacted me big time.

9/10.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 am

BlueStreak wrote:Mammon's score on the best comic he's ever read: 8.625.

"Best"? Maybe it's semantics but I have different definitions between "Best"' and "Favorite".

Do I have to do another review now? :smt017

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand