Advertisement

Dancing Alima

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Re: Dancing Alima

Postby jeremy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
That's a pity to hear. That's a great picture and I like the effect. It's so surreal, but then you see her so clearly, it has an awesome effect. I wonder what blue might look like and other colours. Maybe a study for you at some point? If you do, please share the results. :-D

That is a damn good picture there. A series of those would be great to see, but also, other subjects. The contrasts are sweet. The brighter light is great to see too. Sort of film noir.

Well, the first two you were talking about I have shot more like that of other dancers... that is easier to control than the other two I posted last that use only long exp and no flash. But the other shots like that are of other dancers. But yea, I like the effect; it gives a clear picture (mostly) with still a bit of movement going on.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 391 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm

xaraan wrote:

Yea, she is actually pretty used to having to deal with that crap. If she is just thanking people for coming and they hit on her she just leaves, but she is actually good with people that try stuff during dances... normally you are not permitted to touch the dancer if they invite you up to dance and usually it's all fine - guys being embarrassed to have to try moves they look stupid doing. But some middle eastern guys actually think it's more than that, one guy started putting her hands around her waste and she spun away and sat him down before I was even on my feet.

8)

She is awesome. :-D
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Miracloman
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Seduce and Destroy
Formerly: some guy from the 'Rama

Postby Miracloman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

My two favourites.Nice sephia tone on the first photo, and good job on her for achieving such a sensual look.

Strict31 wrote:Curse you!

You've escaped from the trap that has always captured coyle and bender!!!

There will be another day, Miracloman! Another day!!!!

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Here Cat-Scratch, I posted some of the other dancing pics shot like that in my own art thread

the-artist-corner/some-art-photography-t16503-30.html#p2294585

since they aren't all of her, if you wanted to see more like that; I like that look too

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Miracloman wrote:Image
My two favourites.Nice sephia tone on the first photo, and good job on her for achieving such a sensual look.

Especially since that was before we were dating and I was just some photographer guy she was getting topless in front of... although we were friends, so I wasn't a total stranger.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 pm

xaraan wrote:Here Cat-Scratch, I posted some of the other dancing pics shot like that in my own art thread

the-artist-corner/some-art-photography-t16503-30.html#p2294585

since they aren't all of her, if you wanted to see more like that; I like that look too

8)
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

~Alima~
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: BLATHERSKITE

Postby ~Alima~ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:24 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

~Alima~
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby ~Alima~ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:I like the first two pics posted. With the flare due to the red/orange of her costume, it almost seemed like she was dancing with fire. If that effect could be captured in video of her dancing, it'd be cool to watch. :-D

I can see why Alima is popular in her shows, she's got that contagious kind of smile and energy.

It helps that I have a photographer that can take art itstead of pictures :D I do have a veil (the scarf looking things) that is colored like fire and licks the air like a dream.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:31 pm

~Alima~ wrote:
It helps that I have a photographer that can take art itstead of pictures :D I do have a veil (the scarf looking things) that is colored like fire and licks the air like a dream.

Very true! Xaraan is doing it right, if you'll pardon my Lolspeak. :-D

I like the effect as it does like like you're in absolute control of fire and are just playing with it.
Awesome to see.

~Alima~
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby ~Alima~ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 pm

TerriG wrote:Is Alima ok with the Outhouse collectively fapping over some of those images? :lol:

Lol if they have to use my images, there has to be something seriously wrong with their search engines.

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm

All my joke hitting on Alima aside, I'm actually disappointed she moved to the west coast. Given all the build up from Xaraan, I'd suspect her performances are a wonder to behold. Virginia was a whole lot more likely than California.

When I was a lot younger I used to do some side work lighting performances of various dance companies. While I never lit any belly dancing performances, one of the performers I worked with was trained in it. She did a demonstration once which was amazing. The aesthetics of belly dancing are beautiful and it's a shame most people don't view it as the art form it is.
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:59 pm

She really is good.

I know it sounds like a boy-friend response, but I would just keep quiet about it if she wasn't - if not just blurt the truth since I tend to be like that. I've told every person in the dance community here what I think.. that there are/were only about five decent dancers in all of Hampton Roads area and only three of those eqyptian style (others being tribal style).

I had to sit there while very pretty girls did nothing but shimmy around and make cutesy faces at guys, I've seen them fly other dancers in to teach workshops from around the country (or out of the country) and Alima was still just as good or blew them out of the water.

I also find it interesting how she can do stage work really well, but also restaurant performing as good or better (often dancers aren't good at both). She knows how to work the performance, interacting with the audience, mixing up the music so that it never feels like a song is getting old (plus always picking awesome music), using different props for different songs: one or two swords, canes, veils, zills, etc. I've never seen a crowd not blown away by her, especially when she does some of the favorites: double swords, really good veil work and her crazy spins or bends.

She has also impressed pretty much every drummer that has played for her live, if the drummer knows what they are doing it's really cool b/c they can cue each other and do a whole routine pretty much spur of the moment with no rehersal. The guy that we work with a lot (friend of ours Greg that I like to play drums with too when I try and keep up with him) was playing for her farewell party and he was going crazy with change ups and speed and she just stayed with it the whole time.

Actually I think that impresses the hell out of me too... she doesn't really come up with routines or choreography every time... she just knows how to dance and do the moves and just does it. Though she does do awesome at creating choreography for troupes and stage work... some of the troupes she worked with here still use her choreography even years after she has moved on.

It's weird to me I guess. My exposure to BD was seeing her dance first, so I have high standards now. I see dancers up up videos from these big name dancers on youtube and I shrug my shoulders because it's nothing better than what I see everytime she dances.

But she never believes me when I talk about how good I think she is.

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Postby Muppetesque » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:14 pm

xaraan wrote:She really is good.

I know it sounds like a boy-friend response, but I would just keep quiet about it if she wasn't - if not just blurt the truth since I tend to be like that. I've told every person in the dance community here what I think.. that there are/were only about five decent dancers in all of Hampton Roads area and only three of those eqyptian style (others being tribal style).

I had to sit there while very pretty girls did nothing but shimmy around and make cutesy faces at guys, I've seen them fly other dancers in to teach workshops from around the country (or out of the country) and Alima was still just as good or blew them out of the water.

I also find it interesting how she can do stage work really well, but also restaurant performing as good or better (often dancers aren't good at both). She knows how to work the performance, interacting with the audience, mixing up the music so that it never feels like a song is getting old (plus always picking awesome music), using different props for different songs: one or two swords, canes, veils, zills, etc. I've never seen a crowd not blown away by her, especially when she does some of the favorites: double swords, really good veil work and her crazy spins or bends.

She has also impressed pretty much every drummer that has played for her live, if the drummer knows what they are doing it's really cool b/c they can cue each other and do a whole routine pretty much spur of the moment with no rehersal. The guy that we work with a lot (friend of ours Greg that I like to play drums with too when I try and keep up with him) was playing for her farewell party and he was going crazy with change ups and speed and she just stayed with it the whole time.

Actually I think that impresses the hell out of me too... she doesn't really come up with routines or choreography every time... she just knows how to dance and do the moves and just does it. Though she does do awesome at creating choreography for troupes and stage work... some of the troupes she worked with here still use her choreography even years after she has moved on.

It's weird to me I guess. My exposure to BD was seeing her dance first, so I have high standards now. I see dancers up up videos from these big name dancers on youtube and I shrug my shoulders because it's nothing better than what I see everytime she dances.

But she never believes me when I talk about how good I think she is.

The curse of being the SO -- your praise is always tainted.
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:17 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
The curse of being the SO -- your praise is always tainted.

yea, and anything critical said amplified by a hundred

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:49 pm

very, very cool thread!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Creator's Corner