Advertisement

Review Group Week #261: Heroes for Hire #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #261: Heroes for Hire #3

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Touche. :P

Another thing I've enjoyed are the done in one missions. Satanic weapon deals, Savage Land slave trade? They're neat little ideas that tie in play up on the idea of crime in the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, it was pretty good for a Supes book, using some characters I've never been a huge fan of. It was relatively fast-paced as far as hyper-modern comics go at least. The catchphrase thing was just a minor thing that occurred to me when I was reading it, it definitely makes you think of it like a TV show, you're right. I kept expecting Ka-Zar to pop out of the woodwork though.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:17 pm

This was a fun, action packed issue that told an enjoyable one issue story, while keeping the overall sub-plot about where the Puppet mater has Misty Knight going quite effectively.

The dual fight scenes with Iron Fist vs Paladin and Moon Knight against the dinosaur were fun. The slave trade using women from the Savage Land was an interesting plot hook. Put together this was a good issue.

7 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 am

Heroes for Hire #3

Is this the weakest of the first three issues... yes. Would I take an entire series where this is the best it gets... hell to the yes! A & L have come back down to Earth after a phenominal run with Marvel's Galaxy Heroes and they've landed with feet running.

Both stories were well told with Paladin's being the stronger of the two. I'm very excited to see where Paladin's character goes here. These two have a knack for taking C and D characters and making them feel just as important in the Marvel Universe as Captain America and Thor. I can easily see Paladin becoming a leader much like Star Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Coming from the 70's when Heroes focused mainly on Luke, Randy, Misty and Colleen, it was great to see Iron Fist grace this book again. Not a fan of him as an Avenger and would love to see him come home where he belongs.

In three issues this has already become my first read when it comes out.The art is really the only issue I have with it. Very weak in spots and dead on in others. Still, the first arc has me hooked so I'm on for the long haul with this book in general.

Story: 9
Art: 6
My Score: 8

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:00 am

Last time I saw Paladin this prominent in a book was when he was nailing the Wasp. Palandin has without a doubt being the star of this book whereas the rest of the supporting cast has taken a backseat. And rightfully so, if there's a guy that defines the "Hero for Hire" moniker better than Paladin I'd be hard pressed to find him.

As for this issue itself, Moon Knight vs a dinosaur was a fun to see. Still nothing new on Misty Knight, but the way all the pieces are slowly being moved around I expect a big payoff soon. The Paladin/Iron Fist fight was pretty well done too highlighting their abilities and showing why they're both so good at their area's without making one look like a chump.

A very fun, enjoyable read to say the least. Can't wait to see just what the Puppet Master's motivation is in sending all the heroes on these missions. Could he just be cleaning up the neighborhood the way he knows or knocking off his competition?

DnA have really adjusted well to street level Marvel after spending the better part of 5 years being the heads of marvel Cosmic. If they can give these characters just a portion of the prominence they gave the cosmic guys then this should be a book to watch for the long term.

Story: 8.5
Art: 7
Overall: 8.5

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 am

I don't think I can read any more comics with Paladin in them though because the Have Gun Will Travel theme has been stuck in my head ever since.

Probably only Starlord and Amoebas understand what I'm talking about here..

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 am

Squid Vicious wrote:
Yeah, it was pretty good for a Supes book, using some characters I've never been a huge fan of. It was relatively fast-paced as far as hyper-modern comics go at least. The catchphrase thing was just a minor thing that occurred to me when I was reading it, it definitely makes you think of it like a TV show, you're right. I kept expecting Ka-Zar to pop out of the woodwork though.

Supes?

Superman wasn't in this issue! He's not even in this company! :P

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 am

Punchy wrote:
Supes?

Superman wasn't in this issue! He's not even in this company! :P

supers, superpowers, superhuman, tights....

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 am

AMS wrote:
supers, superpowers, superhuman, tights....

I've never seen 'Supes' used to refer to anything other than Superman, the terms normally used are 'Capes' books or 'Tights' books.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 am

Punchy wrote:
I've never seen 'Supes' used to refer to anything other than Superman, the terms normally used are 'Capes' books or 'Tights' books.

Oh well, it's been used a lot. You read The Boys, for example, I've seen you post on the book. Did they release an idiot virus across the pond or something? :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 am

Squid Vicious wrote:
Oh well, it's been used a lot. You read The Boys, for example, I've seen you post on the book. Did they release an idiot virus across the pond or something? :lol:

It's generally not used by fans though, is my point.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:44 am

Squid Vicious wrote:

It's generally not used by fans though, is my point.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 am

Saying it twice won't make your point! :P

I believe Johann Snow first used it in a RG thread, although I could be misremembering.

He's a cool cat, always on the cutting edge of hyper-modern graphic literature linquistics.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:55 am

Squid Vicious wrote:Saying it twice won't make your point! :P

Whenever someone says 'Supes' you automatically think of Superman, that is a fact.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 am

Punchy wrote:
Whenever someone says 'Supes' you automatically think of Superman, that is a fact.

The word is context. Google it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am

Squid Vicious wrote:
The word is context. Google it.

Gah, I was only joking in the first place, how did this become so serious?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand