Advertisement

Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

God-Man
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Review Group #259: Fantastic Four #587

Postby God-Man » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I thought it was interesting how Hickman put each of the team in a life and death situation, but the outcome was predictable from the start. Eh, this issue was okay I guess.

http://www.jorellrivera.com

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I've been mulling this scene over the weekend. The one thing that sort of bugs me about this death (no pun intended) is that the team wasn't together when it happened. Has Hickman's arc largely kept the Fantastic Four apart?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I've been mulling this scene over the weekend. The one thing that sort of bugs me about this death (no pun intended) is that the team wasn't together when it happened. Has Hickman's arc largely kept the Fantastic Four apart?

Yes, now that I think about it I think the only thing they've done together is the issue with mole man and maybe where they find the lost atlanteans. And like has been said many many times, there is no body just a teary rock man...
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Fantastic Four 587 is a fine comic

Hickman's run has truthfully been good in my opinion after we got past the first arc. I just don't find Reed all that interesting. I liked all of the juggling of the serperate plotlines with each member of the 4. (tho Ben & Johnny were together) The book itself did kinda undersell the death a bit. If there wasn't a media story and Hickman and marvel telling everyone this is the story where someone dies, everyone might have been surprised.

I thought Sue's plot was the most interesting and that's mostly because of the horny Namor. Reed saving Nu-Earth or whatever was completely uninteresting to me. I thought the death itself was fine, if not typical for comic books. Ben changing back was a sad irony, and Johnny had a cool last line, "You think I'm afraid of this?" Although I would say Johnny is my second favorite member of the FF, I can't really say I will miss him either. :lol:

When Epting started doing art, the book got a lot better. Whether that's coincidense or not, who knows, but he remained solid here.

All in all a solid comic

Story 7
Art 8

Overall 7.5

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Well I loved the new issue of FF. Between at killer art and the incredibly heartfelt moment between Ben and Johnny at the end. The issue was executed incredibly well. I may not have liked them killing off a FF member but I can't argue with the results.
9.0/10

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Fantastic Four #587

The RG was mostly a bunch of fucktards for this week, there's no way this comic deserves a 4. Johnny Storm never had so many fans as the day Jonathan Hickman made him bug food.

First the art. With Epting on pencils, the FF looks the best it has in years and Paul Mounts, who's been coloring this book for damn near 100 issues, has adapted his coloring to suit Epting's style perfectly. If you don't like the art on this book, I hope you get the help you need.

On the writing side, Hickman's run is quickly becoming one of my favorites on the series. If this was your first issue of Hickman's FF it's understandable if maybe you got a bit lost, while some issues of Hickman's FF were written as stand alone stories, this comic was most definitely a part 22 of ??? even moreso than just a part 5 of 5 within the 'Three' arc. Jumping on point it's not, but awesome chapter in a larger story it was. All of the major plotlines reached a climax and Johnny got stranded in the Negative Zone to presumably face an Annihilation Wave alone. Which is majorly badass, certainly way the fuck cooler than Doomsday at the very least.

Whenever Marvel wants to solicit that Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman Omnibus Volume 1 is cool with me, I've already reserved a place for it on my bookshelf.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Overall: 8

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 am

I agree 4 seems low. There was just no stopping the Hickmannihilation Wave.

I put this around 7, maybe I'll still type up my list of plotholes...er, review sometime this week.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1149 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:51 am

Squid Vicious wrote:I agree 4 seems low. There was just no stopping the Hickmannihilation Wave.

I put this around 7, maybe I'll still type up my list of plotholes...er, review sometime this week.

Is the turnaround time becoming faster between when a creator is revered on the internet and when they become a pariah? I mean, it took Dan Slott a few years to make that transition, now it seems like it takes a few months for a Hickman or a Spencer.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 am

The Hicklash was pretty fast, but the Nicklash has happened before Spencer even got properly popular!

I think I may just hate on any new creators as soon as they break on the scene, just to be ahead of the curve and maintain my hipster credentials.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:06 am

Punchy wrote:The Hicklash was pretty fast, but the Nicklash has happened before Spencer even got properly popular!

I think I may just hate on any new creators as soon as they break on the scene, just to be ahead of the curve and maintain my hipster credentials.

Pfft! You don't have any to maintain.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:10 am

Squid Vicious wrote:

Hey, I predicted the Hicklash, I am a legend.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 am

Squid Vicious wrote:

Punchy and I have 'Super' compatibility on Last.fm, that's all the hipster cred he needs.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 am

Johann Snow wrote:
Punchy and I have 'Super' compatibility on Last.fm, that's all the hipster cred he needs.

I think that was eHarmony actually.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:14 am

Squid Vicious wrote:
I think that was eHarmony actually.

That would be impossible, because eHarmony doesn't do same-sex match-ups!

Those bigots!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand