Advertisement

Review Group Week #263: The Avengers #10

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 33 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Review Group Week #263: The Avengers #10

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Viktor Ian Skwydde wrote:
It's not even good writing for Bendis, it's poorly edited and terribly illustrated.

The book deserves a low score.

I agree it deserves a low score. I just don't think it deserves a really low score.

A 4, or the 5 that I gave it is about what it deserves, a 2, 3 or 1 would be too low.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I agree it deserves a low score. I just don't think it deserves a really low score.

A 4, or the 5 that I gave it is about what it deserves, a 2, 3 or 1 would be too low.

When Punchy and Jude give it 10s it'll all balance out, trust me.

Tucker
Naked, Greased-Up Deaf Guy

Title: Tucker the Creator

Postby Tucker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:54 pm

FANTASTIC comic. #9 and #10 are by far my favorite 2 books of this Avengers volume. I'm a big fan of Infinity Gems series, and this is no exception. Great series, can't wait for issue #11!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Avengers #10

You know why I'm still reading this book? The same reason I read all of Devin Grayson's run on Nightwing. It's like the most horrific car crash that you just can't take your eyes off of. I honestly can never figure out which is worse, the writing or the art. This is THE worst book Marvel has and the fact that it is ranked so high in sales is possibly why the quality of comics has dropped.

Story: 1
Art: 0
My Score: 1

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:08 am

starlord wrote:Avengers #10

You know why I'm still reading this book? The same reason I read all of Devin Grayson's run on Nightwing. It's like the most horrific car crash that you just can't take your eyes off of. I honestly can never figure out which is worse, the writing or the art. This is THE worst book Marvel has and the fact that it is ranked so high in sales is possibly why the quality of comics has dropped.

Story: 1
Art: 0
My Score: 1

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Stop buying it, then. Just stop. Try out some good indie comics, for a breather.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 40 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 am

Viktor Ian Skwydde wrote:
When Punchy and Jude give it 10s it'll all balance out, trust me.

It's gonna be tough, because while The Great One writes Avengers gold, JRJR is possibly the worst artist working today.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
It's gonna be tough, because while The Great One writes Avengers gold, JRJR is possibly the worst artist working today.

It's comments like this that really make me wonder if you are still clean and sober. :smt011 :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:08 pm

My review will be done tomorrow, I was going to do it today, but the heating is broken in my house, and it was too cold to sit still and write for any length of time.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Jude Terror wrote:
JRJR is possibly the worst artist working today.

Really?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:07 pm

starlord wrote:

It's comments like this that really make me wonder if you are still clean and sober. :smt011 :P

He has been quick to defend charlie sheen the last few days. :shock:

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:33 pm

I thought this was a pretty middle-of-the-road comic. I liked the underwater and Danger Room set pieces, and it was one of JRJr.'s better efforts recently. Tony Stark's little monologue about why he and the Illuminati do what they do was pretty good too. It wasn't terribly exciting, since it was really just a survey of what the various Avengers teams are up to today. It was neither horrible nor that great.

What was that energy that Thor blasted from his hammer at the beginning? Lightning? Wouldn't that electrocute the whole ocean or something?
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:23 am

The Avengers #10 - Untitled - Bendis, Romita, Janson and White

Story - I guess it's time for me to accept it. I am in the minority when it comes to Bendis' Avengers. Even though I love it, it seems that most people hate it. Now either I'm crazy, or everyone else is. Which is more likely?

Yeah, that's right, everyone else is fuckin' bat-shit. This issue was a fine old time. It was a story in the spirit of the Avengers' rich history, but also very much Bendis' own modern take on them. It utilised classic Marvel Universe paraphernalia, but in an actually new way, and was perhaps the best expression for why Bendis took over and relaunched the Avengers in the first place.

That reason? It was Mark Millar, you see, back when he was a wee Bairn growing up in a deep-fried Scottish council estate, instead of buying copies of Action Comics and Detective Comics, he, instead bought Justice League, because it featured all the superheroes, and was better value for money. This may be a typically Scottish sentiment, but it was the reasoning as to why New Avengers featured big hitters like Spider-Man and Wolverine, and why this issue of Avengers features absolutely everyone.

I take a very childlike pleasure in seeing all these heroes together, you've got all 3 Avengers teams present, plus some assorted Illuminati dudes, and even Red Hulk. This kind of gathering normally constitutes some epic crossover, but it's happening just in a regular issue of Avengers, and it's a lot of fun to see Secret, New and plain old Avengers rub shoulders. It reminds me of Grant Morrison's run on JLA, in that every story arc was like a massive event, and touched on different parts of the DCU.

And boy does this issue touch on some parts of the Marvel Universe! But not in a that way. The Infinity Gems are one of those great ideas which are all too often over-complicated and too tied up in the baggage of past stories. Bendis is using the Gems, but without all that excess gubbins, no Thanos (as cool as he can be), no Infinity Watch, just scary shit of unimaginable power, and a new threat intent on using them. Having the Hood go after these Gems rather than one of the Usual Suspects adds a fresh edge to them, and is something that is typically Bendis.

And yes, this issue is typically Bendis, it has all those individual stylistic tics that you either love or loathe, in particular a couple of those rambling back-and-forth discussions which are so contentious. I of course love them, particularly Ant-Man bugging the hell out of Iron Fist, which was perfectly in character. I know some people hate these, but hey, I love em.

Even with that, Bendis does step outside of his comfort zone a little, with a largely dialogue free sequence with Namor, Thor and Red Hulk in the deep of the Ocean.

In the end, I really enjoyed this issue, just like I have pretty much every issue of Bendis' Avengers since he started way back in 2005. It just hits my groove. I don't feel the need to nit-pick it, I don't feel the need to take it too seriously. This is widescreen superhero comics, this is JLU, this is Morrison's JLA, this is the entire Marvel Universe in just one book, this is the ideal book for any tight-fisted Scotsman.

In short, you are crazy.

Art - JRjr is experiencing a kind of critical backlash at the moment, which I suppose is only fair, he'd been working consistently for like 30 years before he started to get shit, Hickman and Spencer only managed 30 minutes! I still love JRjr, he's perfect for a book which encompasses the whole MU, seeing as he's drawn every part of it separately in his career. This book is like a greatest hits, reminding you of how good JRjr's Spider-Man was, how good his Iron Man was, how good his Wolverine was, how good his Thor was. I personally didn't see anything particularly different in this issue than how he worked 'back when he was good', he's the same. Although his Cat Beast does look freaking weird.

Best Line - I liked this particular little exchange 'I'm on the Covert Ops Avengers team' ... 'You probably shouldn't be telling people that'

8/10

Plus, this issue had a free copy of Heroes For Hire #1 in it, how is that not a good thing?

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:20 am

I read this now. It's good, but at the same time, it's missing an awful lot. It's like Bendis has been put on this book with all these top selling characters, and as such he can't really do much anymore. It's not as good as his early stuff.

6.5 out of 10. The dialogue saves it.
You don't have to like me
You don't have to respect me
But you will LISTEN to me.
-----
Always Right

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 am

As some one who generally likes Bendis, this book was pretty darn boring. All it seemed to do was reiterate how ineffective the Illuminati have been....again. having not read any of the other reviews yet, I will venture to guess that some people who did not like this issue will point to the Ant-Man / Iron Fist and/or Spider-Man / Marvel-Boy (whatever) conversations as low points. To this I respond, they were the only parts of the book I liked, going so far as to laugh out loud at Marvel-Boy.

Beyond that, Avengers #10 was a build up to a let down that barely took 10 minutes to read.

10 minutes of dull story with shitty art.

Story - 5
Art - 1
Overall - 3
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand