Advertisement

Review Group Week #264: Secret Warriors #25

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: Review Group Week #264: Secret Warriors #25

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Punchy wrote:
Plus, it's the Great One again.

That too.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 219 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Finally was in the right mood to do this:

Secret Warriors #25

I'm expecting this book to catch its fair share of heat in the Review Group for not being very new reader friendly. As someone who has followed both S.H.I.E.L.D. and Secret Warriors however, my opinion of this book couldn't be more different.

This is finally the issue that ties together the back story of the Zodiac group that Fury, Baron Strucker, Scorpio Fury, Dugan and a ton of others were part of. It also explains exactly how it ties into the S.H.I.E.L.D. series which had an immensely different tone and setting than Secret Warriors did.

To be honest though, I didn't really care about this that much. Hickman had established such a complex mythology, character range and setting that I never really thought much about it other than "It's S.H.I.E.L.D. vs Hydra vs the resurfaced Russian spy network known as Leviathan". The way everything flowed together in a crazy ride made me totally forget about the past that was being constantly hinted.

And at issue 25, just a few issues short of the series conclusion we get this: an issue that not only addressed the Zodiac wheel, but starts hinting at the ties between both these Hickman titles. Watching everything be explained on how it had fallen into place was satisfying, though at the same time infuriating as even in this oversized issue the pacing was very hurried, highlighting a big concern of mine that Marvel cutting down the planned issues will result in rushed storytelling in order to give an explanation for everything. We got quick scene transitions to never fully appreciate everything that happened. Even if this was broken down into 2-3 issues I think the story would have been a lot more solid.

But overall as a fan of this series and Hickman's big S.H.I.E.L.D. plan, I still liked it despite that flaw. We see everyone that was named in the Zodiac when in The List: Secret Warriors along with what their role was in this, we see the rise of Hydra and Leviathan as spy networks and what motivated Nick Fury deciding to clean this mess up. All in one issue.

But like I said, that's this books biggest problem, trying to cram so much stuff in so little room. It's a welcome change in the era where decompression of comics reigns supreme, but now that we're getting everything in one hotshot every issue with no time for anything to settle down so we can savor some moments it just feels flat at times. This was a big issue with the last issue that introduced Mikel Fury's team only to kill them all off in one issue...that could have been one entire story arc.

Everything is just been crammed into the deadline this series has which is honestly a shame in my eyes. Totally disappointing, but I can hardly fault Hickman for wanting to tell his complete story. The blame on this goes solely to the editors that cut down this series from its initial vision.

On the art front,I miss Stafano Caselli on this book. But Allessandro Vitti makes for an adequate replacement. But good lord, some of the faces of the characters totally confuse me at times...particularly with the Kraken and Jake Fury who had similar features.

Bottom line, the issue was a very mixed bag with some average, good and great moments. Can't say anything was terrible in the book...but I can understand if someone who isn't clued in to the back story might be lost or confused and be frustrated with this book enough to knock it.

Story: 7
Art: 7
Overall: 7

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:
Yet another bad omen for the Review Group..

Almost 30 members, so far about a review and a half. And only 2 interesting things in the whole thread, #1 being we know that for Leonardo da Vinci is not on AMS' list of turn-ons, and #2 by quoting Sartre's midwife and then ultimately picking Ultimate Spider-man, Eli Katz has been forever outed as the pseudo-intellectual his detractors have always claimed him to be.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:29 pm

Ew, Nietzsche?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 818 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:29 pm

I may end up reviewing this in a month, as it doesn't seem that I can get my hands on an advance reading copy and will have to wait until my DCBS box gets here at the end of the month. :(
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:Ew, Nietzsche?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Jim Morrison was a big Nietzsche fan.

I always feel a little guilty when I sell Nietzsche or Ayn Rand.. But some philosophers like Descartes I just recycle..

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 444 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:Jim Morrison was a big Nietzsche fan.

I always feel a little guilty when I sell Nietzsche or Ayn Rand.. But some philosophers like Descartes I just recycle..

What do you mean recycle?

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Eli Katz wrote:

nope.

I had a philosophy class in college and this guy wasn't even on the list...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:24 pm

AMS wrote:
What do you mean recycle?

I mash them into a pulp and make my own stationary and seasonal gift cards.

Why who are you, the book police?

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:
I mash them into a pulp and make my own stationary and seasonal gift cards.

Why who are you, the book police?

no I was just confused. Do you literally set them into a recycling bin or you recycle em like reuse and resell them?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:30 pm

AMS wrote:
no I was just confused. Do you literally set them into a recycling bin or you recycle em like reuse and resell them?

Well I tried figuratively putting them in the bin but it never seemed like anything was getting done around here.

I won't resell anything by the father of Cartesian Dualism given the disastrous effects the idea had on academia for centuries and the many bad ideas still indoctrinated as a result.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:
Well I tried figuratively putting them in the bin but it never seemed like anything was getting done around here.

I won't resell anything by the father of Cartesian Dualism given the disastrous effects the idea had on academia for centuries.

:lol:

I like the dog's philosophy on life, if you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:33 pm

AMS wrote:
:lol:

I like the dog's philosophy on life, if you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away.

I like the cynic philosophers myself..
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I shouldn't give Ayn Rand a free pass, but the li'l' lady's a moneymaker, dammit! :x

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand