Advertisement

Double Special Review Group Week #266: Morning Glories #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 113 posts

Re: Double Special Review Group Week #266: Morning Glories #

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 am

A question for those that have the first trade, did I make it on to the back of the book? I saw my name constantly on the solicits with a piece of my review. (even if they left the E off of Ratcliffe)

Advertisement

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:02 am

JERKS!! :x
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:06 am

doombug wrote:A question for those that have the first trade, did I make it on to the back of the book? I saw my name constantly on the solicits with a piece of my review. (even if they left the E off of Ratcliffe)

Nope.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:49 am

8:13
I picked up the first trade along with issue 7 last month and absolutely LOVED IT! The series really reminds me of LOST Which I'm sure ticks off a few readers of the series but I have to say I love the mystery elements of the book. I really dig the art don't love it but I'm not going to complain Nick Spencer is crushing it on story and character development. Issue 8 was nearly flawless in execution and I loved that the chicken restaurant manager kinda looked like Hurley from LOST. I love the book and thing everyone needs to be reading it one of the best books coming out.
9.5/10

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 pm

My LCS didn't have a copy. Sirry Punchy, but I'm not going to be able to review this one.

Thank you Troy for the sig

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:36 am

Alright after going through the book a few times to familiarize myself with the setting I'm finally ready to go.

Morning Glories #8

As this is my first issue of Morning Glories I expected to be thrown into the deep end and drown. Not quite this time around as the story was fairly self-contained and what little I'd heard about it helped me bridge the gap: The story is set at the Morning Glory academy and certain students are somehow "special" for reasons unknown. And this issue was a spotlight of one of the said students called Hunter.

So there's something up with Hunter where whenever he looks at a clock he see's the time being 8:13, making checking the time or sticking to an appointment a pain in the ass. Like in this issue when Hunter sets up a date with a girl he likes for 5pm and has to rely on Jun let him know when it's time. Then things go of the rails as he gets mixed up with some school bullies led by a guy who is either Jun or his twin brother.

The other part of the story was the backstory of Hunter and how his 8:13 problem began with a stranger giving him his watch that happened to be set at 8:13 at that time. This is when the story got Lost-like for me. We got strangers giving people mysterious presents whose numbers eventually destroy his life in a very Hurley-esque manner (There's even a Hurley cameo :P ) mysterious brain scans that are covered up by equally mysterious gunmen, and finally in the tradition of Smokey an unseen monster-like character that strings up and disembowls people for the obligatory twist ending.

This very much felt like Lost set in a school in comic book form. And I mean that in a good way as from the solicits and this issue I'm getting that everything is being built around some far-out-there machination that goes beyond the walls of MGA. Hope for the book's sake that it isn't dragged out for too long to result in hurried resolutions like Lost did.

On the writing, I see shades of Bendis in Nick Spencer's dialog structure thanks to some of the quick back and forth exchanges, such as the scene where Hunter asks Casey out on a date, that simultaneously portray a character's personality. The art really helps in that regard as Joe Eisma's art effectively portrays the emotion of every word a character speaks as if it was rolling off their speech bubbles.

Overall, I liked the book enough to order the first trade. I had reservations about it initially since the only Nick Spencer book I've checked out was T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents and that was not my thing...but I'm willing to take a punt on this book through a trade because of this issue. And if it's solid I guess this will go to my "wait for trade" list.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Overall 7.5

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Hey Doombug, I picked up a copy of the New Comics Day collection from Chad at S.P.A.C.E. today..

Also every year I make a purchase of the sickest thing I can find at the Small Press Alternative Comics Expo.. This year Tentacle Love with covergirl Isobel Wren was the obvious stand-out there..

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:28 pm

What's next week's pick?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 pm

GLX wrote:What's next week's pick?

I can tell you the march 30th book. :D :D :D :D :D :D
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:28 pm

I read it. I... liked it. Review to come soon. Starlord... not so much...

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:17 am

Viscous Skid wrote:Hey Doombug, I picked up a copy of the New Comics Day collection from Chad at S.P.A.C.E. today..

Also every year I make a purchase of the sickest thing I can find at the Small Press Alternative Comics Expo.. This year Tentacle Love with covergirl Isobel Wren was the obvious stand-out there..

Aww dude, thanks! Hope you enjoy it!

Did you get to chat with Chad for a bit? I know you always struck me to have a bit in common with him and Bill. Sorry that he didn't have the trading cards. (Bill will have them at Emerald City)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 am

Lorna: Relic Wrangler #1 is the pick for next week. I'll try to get the creators to stop by and see what I can do about inevitable shortage of a book that doesn't feature stale characters and shock events that last six months.

Here's a interview, complete with preview art: the-news-stand/micah-harris-and-loston-wallace-talk-lorna-relic-wrangler-t61277.html?hilit=lorna

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 am

so you're trying to give up tyrant duties already?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 am

No, there's a decent chance I can get a pdf copy to pass around.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 am

BlueStreak wrote:No, there's a decent chance I can get a pdf copy to pass around.

If you do please send me a copy, because I don't think there's a hope in hell that my LCS is going to have a copy of that for me to buy.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand