Advertisement

Double Special Review Group Week #266: Morning Glories #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 59 posts

Re: Double Special Review Group Week #266: Morning Glories #

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I set the over/under on reviews posted next week at 4 even with a PDF.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:I set the over/under on reviews posted next week at 4 even with a PDF.

Meh, it's either that or Green Lantern. Unless you have a better suggestion (which I'm totally open for, I can always spin off Lorna: Relic Wrangler).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:39 pm

That part in the preview where Lorna humps her way up the giant phallic menhir in her daisy-dukes and performs a circumcision on its tip would have kept Freud busy for years.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I was expecting it to be FF#1 really, but this one looks like it might be fun?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh great, another 'trying to prove a point week'.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 pm

really punchy? :roll:

Is it okay if I don't review this week for punchy once again complaining about someone elses pick? even if i love morning glories? :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 pm

doombug wrote:really punchy? :roll:

Is it okay if I don't review this week for punchy once again complaining about someone elses pick? even if i love morning glories? :lol:

No, this is Double Special week.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Punchy wrote:
No, this is Double Special week.

...your birthday is not any different than any other poster.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 pm

doombug wrote:...your birthday is not any different than any other poster.

It is when it coincides with my RG pick.

Hence double special.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Punchy wrote:
It is when it coincides with my RG pick.

Hence double special.

:roll:

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Punchy wrote:Oh great, another 'trying to prove a point week'.

Nah, not really. I'm open to other suggestions. My reasoning for the pick is:

1) We just reviewed FF #587 not too long ago. I wasn't a fan. I'll be picking up FF #1 because my store has an awesome promotion based around it, but I have no strong desire to read it. Plus, we've been on a run of mainly Marvel stuff recently, so I wanted to move away from that.

2) As I said, I'm pretty sure we can get a review pdf so supply won't be an issue. When various members can't get copies of Ultimate Spider-Man in their store, it'd be nice to have an issue that can be freely distributed.

3) I know the creators of the book and Image linked to the interview I did a couple of weeks ago on both facebook and twitter. So, there's a chance we can get the creators to answer questions about the book as well as maybe get some free publicity.

Besides FF #1 and this, the only other choice that I saw was War of the Green Lanterns. Do you really want Mammon to troll anyone who hates on the Almighty Hal Jordan? It'd be fun for the lutz of course, but I didn't think you were a fan of the drama...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Not me, I want to see what Cherry Poptart is up to now that she's an adventurer.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm

We are doing a launch for next week's book. If I didn't have the day job, I would see if I could get us coverage...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:27 am

Morning Glories #8 - Untitled - Spencer, Eisma & Esquejo

Story - When it was first being promoted, Morning Glories was touted as a sort of 'Runaways meets LOST', and while such high-concept tag-lines are often a load of bull, this one actually makes sense. It's Runaways in that it features fairly realistic portrayals of teenage characters and feelings in a heightened fantastical setting, and it's LOST in that it has a lot of mysteries. Fair enough.

But with this issue and the last, the relationship this book has to LOST has become even more apparent, and as a huge fan of that series, I couldn't be happier that the medium of comics is now the place for such storytelling, what with network television turning it's back on this sort of thing for remakes of Charlie's Angels and Hawaii 5-0. Comics are better than TV, bitches.

So anyway, look at it this way, the first 6-issue of arc of Morning Glories was kind of like the pilot episode of LOST, a lot of strange shit happens, we are introduced to all the main characters, and mysteries are set up, but we don't get much insight beyond that. Beyond the pilot however, we got Flashback episodes, we found out Locke was in a wheelchair, we found out Hurley was cursed by numbers, and now Morning Glories is doing the same. First Zoe, and now Hunter are getting Flashback episodes, and it's working out a treat.

This issue is split into two main chunks, you've got the present day events at the Morning Glory Academy, where Hunter asks Casey to go out on a date. As I said before, the strength of this book is that it has realistic teenage emotions in and around the weird spinning things and evil Nurses, and Hunter and Casey's interactions here form a solid, recognisable centre for Spencer to hang all manner of crazy stuff. Like characters turning from good to evil in seconds, to evil Twins, and even monsters. It's all interesting stuff, and with the Twin thing, we finally get an answer to one of a zillion mysteries.

But the Flashback is, for me, where the real action is at. We discover that somehow, whenever Hunter looks at a clock, he sees the same time, 8:13. Whenever he's in a rush, he sees 8:13, and as such, is never on time. But this isn't just insanity, there's a reason behind this, there's someone manipulating him, and stopping him from finding out the truth about why he only ever sees 8:13. This is a crazy idea, and it works brilliantly. It's something I've never seen before, and also seems exactly like the kind of thing you'd get on LOST. I am instantly more invested in Hunter and his life, because before, I didn't really like him, Spencer committed a fairly transparent attempt by making him an audience surrogate character by having him be a comics fan and be bad with girls and kind of absent-minded. A pretty obvious attempt to elicit an 'OMG he's just like me' response from fans. But Spencer has made a habit of deconstructing stereotypes, and he does so here. Hunter is more than I thought.

All of this told with Spencer's usual strong and snappy dialogue, his work isn't as stylised as say, Bendis, but it really flows well, and reminds me of a sort of cross between Brian K Vaughan and Bryan Lee O'Malley, which is damn cool. I'm not sure about the Yeasayer reference however, fuel to the fire for any critics to call the book 'Hipster Nonsense'.

Overall, this was another excellent issue of Morning Glories, it furthered the crazy events of what in the heck is going at the school, and provided some great backstory on a character I was previously on the fence about. Plus, to further my half-baked LOST analysis, Hurley made a little cameo. Some readers may balk at a book having so many similarities to a TV show, but I think Morning Glories is different and original enough to set it apart, and hey, 80% of comics take all their cues from other, older comics, following a TV show is vastly preferable to that.

Art - I was initially pretty down on Joe Eisma. I think because I had been spoiled by Rodin Esquejo's amazing photo-realistic covers and promo images. But Eisma is probably more suited for the events going on inside the book, his work is nice and expressive, and he does action sequences well. In my opinion he just gets better and better. It's just a shame the cover art is so good!

Best Line - 'He'll be amazed I sent him a girl who isn't pregnant for once'

9/10

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 am

I should probably catch up on front page articles... :(

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php ... ntry320979

leave a comment with facebook