Advertisement

Double Special Review Group Week #266: Morning Glories #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Double Special Review Group Week #266: Morning Glories #

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 pm

thefourthman wrote:Those of you who wish to be first will need to be last.

That's nothing to tell someone running a fever all hepped on his own homemade cough syrup!

I'll get stuck in a loop!

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
That's nothing to tell someone running a fever all hepped on his own homemade cough syrup!

I'll get stuck in a loop!

If you are struck on the cheek, offer the other.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 pm

so what is this weeks pick?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 pm

thefourthman wrote:If you are struck on the cheek, offer the other.

That's your game, kinky ass!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm

starlord wrote:so what is this weeks pick?

Lorna.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Lorna.

What's a Lorna? :smt017

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

starlord wrote:

What's a Lorna? :smt017

She circumcised the Washington Monument.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

I did secure the review copy for the group so anyone who can't find it but still wants to review it will be able to.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm actually really looking forward to reviewing it.

My review for Morning Glories will be late as I have to catch up on the whole series as a certain friend has wanted me to for a while (totally not the artist of the book, don't know what you're talking about) :lol:

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 am

Morning Glories #8

There is always an amount of risk when you write a story, especially one where many aspects of the overall plot line are not transparent. On one hand, you keep your readership guessing as to what might happen next, which if done right helps to build investment in what happens in that story (which in turn hopefully builds investment in the characters themselves). However, you also run the risk of not only having proper pay off, but also having your audience lose interest in even seeing said pay off happen. The sources of such results usually have to do with bad writing, but another result that may be independent of such is having the mystery become more important than the story. The balance that Nick Spencer has to strike is critical for Morning Glories to continue the success it has already attained, and Morning Glories #8 does just that for the most part.

Even though Morning Glories has more questions than answers, there are quite a few saving graces which include the well written dialogue, the compelling base story arcs and World building that makes you want to learn more. Beyond those aspects, the big draw for Morning Glories is the amazing work that Nick Spencer has put into each of the 6 main characters, and Morning Glories #8 is no exception. To spare everyone the superfluous expletives at this point, Nick Spencer shines the spotlight on Hunter, who adds quite a twist to this “Nice Geeky Guy” by giving him a Rare Mental Condition that could be link to quite an exceptional gift in the future. By doing this, Morning Glories #8 gives Hunter a needed dimension, along with giving the reader a reason to cheer for him to be successful in his pursuits. It all adds up to another successfully written Issue of Morning Glories.

To those who read my review of Morning Glories #7, you know that I have my issues with some of the art design choices of this book, and while Morning Glories #8 doesn’t answer my biggest concern by design, it does go a quite a bit of a way to show that the artist is beginning to get his grove. The Issue of incomplete finishes on the characters (by way of out of place lines) is greatly reduced in this Issue, as Joe Eisma seems to have the look of these characters down, as we’re given the first glimpse of what will more than likely become the signature looks of these character’s teenage selves. The backgrounds and coloring also continue to give this book the contradictory nature that makes it hard not to examine as the nightmare continues to unfold all around our protagonists. Overall, this truly the first time that I can truly praise this art, and I hope it only continues to get better.

Now as I said in my first paragraph, the way this story is being told has its risks, and one of those risks came to light with this Issue, especially if you were expecting that the Solicit to Issue 8 would begin to deliver us closer to some of the answers that we’ve been seeking from the beginning, and while this Issue does give us quite a bit of insight on Hunter, I can’t help but feel that we didn’t get as close as the Solicit led us to believe we would. Of course, that could be my own fault for expecting too much, but I did feel a little bit burned when I closed the book the first time. Despite that, there’s too much good to have that let down become a reason for me not like this book. For those who have followed this series from the beginning Morning Glories #8 is another example of why this series continues to be a worthwhile investment of time and money. As for those of you who haven’t begun this journey, it is not too late to get the first trade, and catch up to the rest of us. I guarantee that’ll it’ll be worth your time.

The Verdict

Story: 8.5

Art: 7.5

Accessibly: 5

Final Judgment: 8

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:04 am

so...
In the ever infinite wisdom of Alan Gill, having a launch at one store means no copies of it at the other store... no lorna at my location... I'll email you later BS
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 559 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 am

BS can you send me the PDF copy?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm