Advertisement

Review Group Week #267: Lorna: Relic Wrangler #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Re: Review Group Week #267: Lorna: Relic Wrangler #1

Postby doombug » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 pm

sorry bluestreak :cry:

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 543 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Zero wrote:Lorna: Relic Ranger #1

Look, in the sky! Is it a decidedly un-timely parody of Tomb Raider? Is it a bafflingly unfunny one shot? Is it piss poor cheesecake? Um, yeah actually. It's all three.

Art in the backup was nice, but it hurts to read the words.

Oh wait, I just remembered it ended with a hook for sequels. No!

:lol: :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:30 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I'm about to get Weird Worlded. :lol:

Sorry about that BlueStreak. I felt kind of bad giving it that low a score, but it was what it was.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 pm

BlueStreak wrote:For those who are unable to obtain this book for whatever reason, please contact me.
Thanks, but after the reviews so far, I'm not sure I want to see it.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 pm

starlord wrote:
well you will become legandary this way. :-D

I don't think he want to be in the same club as Hawk. :P :wink:

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:11 pm

even if butcher baker is bad it will wash the taste of this comic out of our mouths, hearts and genitals to be a high scoring book.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:05 pm

I feel bad because the creators of Lorna are reading these reviews and I know they put a lot of hard work into making the book...unfortunately reading it was hard work too.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I feel bad because the creators of Lorna are reading these reviews and I know they put a lot of hard work into making the book...unfortunately reading it was hard work too.

BlueStreak and Jim Valentino's fault.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 am

Would they prefer brutal honesty or shameless pandering in the reviews?

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:41 am

BlueStreak wrote:I'm about to get Weird Worlded. :lol:

It's called being Hawked.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 am

Lorna: Relic Wrangler - 'One Nation... Under Chaos' and other stories - Harris, Wallace, Hihnala and Youngblood

Story - When a writer finally manages to get his creation published for the first time, it's a major event. It's the culmination of everything they've worked towards, every idea they've had is focussed into one single comic, it's a wonderful thing, especially if it's a success. Unfortunately, in the case of Lorna: Relic Wrangler, I can't help but feel that Micah S. Harris has put too many eggs in this particular one-shot basket. He's obviously an enthusiastic guy, with a lot of crazy ideas, but I think he put too many into this book, and it comes out a bit of a mess.

Harris has jam-packed this one-shot, and it's central character with so much stuff that I'm left confused as to who Lorna is, and what exactly the tone Harris is seeking actually is. Is it a wacky Tomb Raider parody with a load of cheesecake and crazy non-sequitur jokes? Is it a dark comedy set in a rural town replete with hideous freaks and stigmata? Or is it a horror about a girl who wants to escape her circumstances? It's all of these things, and that doesn't really work. I feel that Harris would have been better off picking just one aspect for this character, and perhaps save the Horror stuff for another project.

Of the three stories, I much preferred the first one, despite it's deeply offensive portrayal of Britain (I joke, I don't care really). It was a silly romp and nothing more, which was fine. A lot of people these days, in a reactionary stance against mainstream superhero stories that are 'too dark and rapey' want fun and that's enough, such as the vapid and empty Atomic Robo series, and this is much the same, it's vaguely amusing, and that's it. I feel that given time, this take on the character could grow into something more, but when the writer himself, as evidenced by the back-ups, has too many ideas for where Lorna could go, I worry that take may be lost.

Overall, this one-shot is an opportunity missed. The concept of a character like Lorna is a good one, but I actually think the cover and various pin-ups do a better job with the character than the actual stories. A good concept, but execution lacking.

Art - When a book has a cover from one of the greatest artists currently working in Darwyn Cooke, the interiors have a lot to live up to. Luckily, I feel Loston Wallace did a good job. His work reminded me a lot of Bruce Timm, and fit the tone of that first story perfectly. It was the perfect mix of cartoon and sex appeal. Hihnala and Youngblood's (perfect name for an Image artist) styles also perfectly fit the tone of their stories. I just wish all three styles fitted together better. I also loved Paul Maybury's pin-up, that was amazing. I'd like to see a full Lorna story with him and Harris.

Best Line - '"Rude outfits?" "Queues?" What kinda weird code is this?' It's not a weird code, it's English!

6/10

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 265 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I feel bad because the creators of Lorna are reading these reviews and I know they put a lot of hard work into making the book...unfortunately reading it was hard work too.

me too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:53 am

Sweet James Jones wrote:Would they prefer brutal honesty or shameless pandering in the reviews?

Well...the artist of the main story replied to a one star review on Major Spoilers thusly:

Loston says:
March 17, 2011 at 1:28 am
A much better review without an axe to grind can be found here: http://playeraffinity.com/comic-reviews ... eview.html

LORNA gets an 8.3 out of 10. Just goes to show readers that you should use your own judgement. Opinions on material and subject matter vary widely. Obviously LORNA is not Larry’s cup of tea, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t get something out of it he didn’t. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but this review is extremely disappointing to read, because LORNA is a fun and entertaining book that a lot of people worked very hard on. It’s tongue and cheek, humor. Yes–it won’t be for everyone. I really get that. I just urge you to give it a chance, folks. So very sorry that you didn’t enjoy it, Larry. I truly wish you had.

So...um....

(here's the review he was responding to: http://www.majorspoilers.com/advance-re ... r-one-shot )

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Lorna: Relic Wrangler #1

Um, yeah. Not good. Relic Wrangler's big problem is that it appeals to a very specific sense of humor. If you don't share that sense of humor, it's just not funny. At all. The Indiana Jones/Robert Langdon/Tomb Raider mashup isn't a terrible concept to be executed as a comic, but this lacked the ingenuity to make it work. The art and coloring in the first story was quirky and fun, but the art in the latter stories didn't hold much appeal.

Story: 2
Art: 6
Overall: 4

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 pm

As a response to some of the complaints on art, it was mentioned that the original artist dropped out and that Loston was promoted from drawing the backups to doing the main story.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand