Advertisement

Review Group Week #267: Lorna: Relic Wrangler #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Review Group Week #267: Lorna: Relic Wrangler #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
Nixon's Pals was pretty boring.

Godland got repetitive once it got into the second arc.

If MCS ever gets the Year One 3.0 trade in stock, I might give it a try.

Says the man with the mormon created superhero. It's jew or nothing.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Says the man with the mormon created superhero. It's jew or nothing.

As if Joe Casey ever had the balls to have his protagonist explore a polyamorous relationship with two women sharing the same body. :roll:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 am

Frank Einstein wrote:
As if Joe Casey ever had the balls to have his protagonist explore a polyamorous relationship with two women sharing the same body. :roll:

You've never read automatic kafka.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
Well anyone not in North America is banned.

Stop trying to collaterally damage me!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:28 am

The Internets are wrong.

10*

*This score paid for by the Committee to Prevent BlueStreak From Getting Weird Worlded

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Lorna: Relic Wrangler

On paper it seems like a Tomb Raider Parody Comic was meant to happen. Think about it and take into consideration the setting, plot and main character that the aforementioned franchise possesses, and you’ll ask yourself why it hasn’t happened sooner. Realizing the potential, the creative team of Lorna: Relic Wrangler makes an attempt to fill said void, only to miss the mark. How badly does that happen? Let’s find out together.

Before we go into the bad things about this book, let me just say that at the very least the writer doesn’t write dialogue that’s painful to read, so you could say that there’s at least some skill involved. It still doesn’t excuse the fact that the main story in this book has 3 critical things wrong with the writing execution beyond that, with the first of those things being that Lorna is an unbelievable protagonist. Beyond some mission revealing exposition and some shots of dirty old men getting their jollies from Cheesecake, there’s nothing there that makes Lorna anywhere near ready to be a Lara Croft stand in. Speaking of unbelievable, the Antagonist suffers from problems even worse than Lorna. Martha is not only saddled with a ridiculous motive, but the early attempt to make her look evil just makes Lorna and the writer look kind of stupid in this reviewer’s eyes. Finally, this writing in the main story (and the book period) is simply not funny on any level. Sure it tries extremely hard to be funny, but it fails in every attempt to do so, making this story more of a chore to read than it should be, and since it’s the main story the writer’s general success or failure hinges on it, and he sadly didn’t do what he had to do to succeed.

At first glance, the art in this book definitely feels like it strips the writing. From the excellent cover, to the colorful display of the first story, and the overall art style variety, it seems like this book will at least be fun to look at, and it is until you understand that the majority of the art is mostly of one singular nature. Unfortunately, Loston Wallace abuses the opportunity to draw Cheesecake Shots, and ends up drawing far too many of them. In fact, there are so many cheesecake shots, that they end up distracting from the main story itself, something that a few people will not find a problem with. As for the art in the backups, the first backup’s art is without consequence in any way, shape or form, while the second backup harkens to back to the old Horror Comics, which will appeal to some, but left this reviewer flat, which can describe my feels about the overall art package.

If I had to place to book on my overall review group scale, this book would definitely be the 3rd worst book I had to review with Nemesis #3 and Weird World #1 being worse than this one. At the very least, there is something resembling effort, and unlike the other two, this did possess the 3rd Story, which was the best written one in this reviewer’s eyes. It’s just a shame that the overall package didn’t come together to make this a truly worthwhile comic. A “Read it In the Store” Comic if I ever saw one.

The Verdict

Story: 3
Art: 6
Accessibility: 5

Final Judgment: 4

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 30 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 pm

SOLD!

For $9.75.

But don't run to eBay with this one, folks.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand