Advertisement

Review Group Week #268: Butcher Baker:The Righteous Maker #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week #268: Butcher Baker:The Righteous Make

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 pm

GLX wrote:I didn't get this, since I don't expect my Catholic family to dig a comic with a bright man crotch on the cover. The interior art looked slick, though.

You and AMS should do a spin-off with an all-ages book this week.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:For those who've read #1, I posted five pages from #2 here:

the-news-stand/image-teaser-butcher-baker-t57486.html#p2367027

If you open them in a different tab they should be enlargeable.

Without reading the text, that's about what I expected to happen.

For a first issue, this was a bit light on story. Not that as comic readers we haven't read a million origin stories already. Maybe blowing through it like this did will be a good thing for the book going forward.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker #1

Wow.

This might be the first comic to need a warning for epileptics. I don't think there's been a new series this visually striking since Nic Klein's Viking.

The art in Butcher Baker jumps off the page, it really overwhelms what little story the comic contains. Certainly Joe Casey doesn't hold back with the wild and crazy, but I suspect Mike Huddleston could have made a routine trip to the supermarket look just as fantastic.

Seriously, if Huddleston can give a halfway decent explanation for where that tail is attached in the post-coital panel just give him the Eisner now.

I don't know if Butcher Baker can live up to being the Nextwave/Casanova mashup it wants to be, but if nothing else I'm going to keep buying it for the art.

Story: 6
Art: 11
Overall: 8.5

Did you notice it had a separate graphic designer credited as well? I would put the Strange Science Fantasy books and a couple recent books as just as visually-striking but the art here was all over the place, for sure.

I liked the 5 pages from issue #2 more than issue #1 in its entirely, and think they make a better stopping point than the end of #1. But yeah, what you knew would have to happen after the BOOM!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
You and AMS should do a spin-off with an all-ages book this week.

Thumb-suckers.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Did you notice it had a separate graphic designer credited as well? I would put the Strange Science Fantasy books and a couple recent books as just as visually-striking but the art here was all over the place, for sure.

I liked the 5 pages from issue #2 more than issue #1 in its entirely, and think they make a better stopping point than the end of #1. But yeah, what you knew would have to happen after the BOOM!

I took the 'logo and graphic designer' credit to mean that she did the book design and layout for the supplemental content. I'm assuming that's the same Sonia Harris from the Comics Should Be Good blog at CBR.

The ending Casey gave this seems a bit abrupt, but it also kind of makes it work as a one-shot. I haven't decided if that's a good thing yet or not.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
I took the 'logo and graphic designer' credit to mean that she did the book design and layout for the supplemental content. I'm assuming that's the same Sonia Harris from the Comics Should Be Good blog at CBR.

The ending Casey gave this seems a bit abrupt, but it also kind of makes it work as a one-shot. I haven't decided if that's a good thing yet or not.

The flip side of that is there's no real hook at the end. Working as a one-shot when it isn't really also means I could go, "hmm, okay" and forget the whole thing. Those additional pages add the ? to come back next issue, for me at least. Otherwise I feel like I just read The Comedian on crystal meth and that isn't as novel an idea as it used to be.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Frank Einstein is so mean...

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
The flip side of that is there's no real hook at the end. Working as a one-shot when it isn't really also means I could go, "hmm, okay" and forget the whole thing. Those additional pages add the ? to come back next issue, for me at least. Otherwise I feel like I just read The Comedian on crystal meth and that isn't as novel an idea as it used to be.

Yeps.

This same comic with a lesser artist and I probably score it about the same as Lorna.

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:40 pm

AMS wrote:Frank Einstein is so mean...

There's an issue of Cartoon Network Action Pack at your LCS with your's and GLX's names on it. :wink:

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
There's an issue of Cartoon Network Action Pack at your LCS with your's and GLX's names on it. :wink:

:smt013 :smt013

There wasn't any such thing when I went there yesterday.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

AMS wrote:
:smt013 :smt013

There wasn't any such thing when I went there yesterday.

We had to read through it first, just to be sure it was age-appropriate for you and GLX and not too adult or anything.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm

That is very thoughtful of you.

The bust on Sue Richards was a little much in Spider-man this week too, its going to take a while to get that image out of my head.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 pm

AMS wrote:That is very thoughtful of you.

The bust on Sue Richards was a little much in Spider-man this week too, its going to take a while to get that image out of my head.

I'm sure you'll rub it out.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I'm sure you'll rub it out.

Now that is a little much...

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

AMS wrote:That is very thoughtful of you.

I know how you feel, there was a panel in an Eightball strip I read last night with Lucy from Peanuts topless. I'll be haunted by that panel forever. :|

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand