Sunday, December 4, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "At least we're not Bleeding Cool!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week #268: Butcher Baker:The Righteous Maker #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

******

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 pm

GLX wrote:I didn't get this, since I don't expect my Catholic family to dig a comic with a bright man crotch on the cover. The interior art looked slick, though.


You and AMS should do a spin-off with an all-ages book this week.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:For those who've read #1, I posted five pages from #2 here:

the-news-stand/image-teaser-butcher-baker-t57486.html#p2367027

If you open them in a different tab they should be enlargeable.


Without reading the text, that's about what I expected to happen.

For a first issue, this was a bit light on story. Not that as comic readers we haven't read a million origin stories already. Maybe blowing through it like this did will be a good thing for the book going forward.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker #1

Wow.

This might be the first comic to need a warning for epileptics. I don't think there's been a new series this visually striking since Nic Klein's Viking.

The art in Butcher Baker jumps off the page, it really overwhelms what little story the comic contains. Certainly Joe Casey doesn't hold back with the wild and crazy, but I suspect Mike Huddleston could have made a routine trip to the supermarket look just as fantastic.

Seriously, if Huddleston can give a halfway decent explanation for where that tail is attached in the post-coital panel just give him the Eisner now.

I don't know if Butcher Baker can live up to being the Nextwave/Casanova mashup it wants to be, but if nothing else I'm going to keep buying it for the art.

Story: 6
Art: 11
Overall: 8.5


Did you notice it had a separate graphic designer credited as well? I would put the Strange Science Fantasy books and a couple recent books as just as visually-striking but the art here was all over the place, for sure.

I liked the 5 pages from issue #2 more than issue #1 in its entirely, and think they make a better stopping point than the end of #1. But yeah, what you knew would have to happen after the BOOM!
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
You and AMS should do a spin-off with an all-ages book this week.


Thumb-suckers.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Did you notice it had a separate graphic designer credited as well? I would put the Strange Science Fantasy books and a couple recent books as just as visually-striking but the art here was all over the place, for sure.

I liked the 5 pages from issue #2 more than issue #1 in its entirely, and think they make a better stopping point than the end of #1. But yeah, what you knew would have to happen after the BOOM!


I took the 'logo and graphic designer' credit to mean that she did the book design and layout for the supplemental content. I'm assuming that's the same Sonia Harris from the Comics Should Be Good blog at CBR.

The ending Casey gave this seems a bit abrupt, but it also kind of makes it work as a one-shot. I haven't decided if that's a good thing yet or not.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
I took the 'logo and graphic designer' credit to mean that she did the book design and layout for the supplemental content. I'm assuming that's the same Sonia Harris from the Comics Should Be Good blog at CBR.

The ending Casey gave this seems a bit abrupt, but it also kind of makes it work as a one-shot. I haven't decided if that's a good thing yet or not.


The flip side of that is there's no real hook at the end. Working as a one-shot when it isn't really also means I could go, "hmm, okay" and forget the whole thing. Those additional pages add the ? to come back next issue, for me at least. Otherwise I feel like I just read The Comedian on crystal meth and that isn't as novel an idea as it used to be.
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Frank Einstein is so mean...

******

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
The flip side of that is there's no real hook at the end. Working as a one-shot when it isn't really also means I could go, "hmm, okay" and forget the whole thing. Those additional pages add the ? to come back next issue, for me at least. Otherwise I feel like I just read The Comedian on crystal meth and that isn't as novel an idea as it used to be.


Yeps.

This same comic with a lesser artist and I probably score it about the same as Lorna.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:40 pm

AMS wrote:Frank Einstein is so mean...


There's an issue of Cartoon Network Action Pack at your LCS with your's and GLX's names on it. :wink:
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
There's an issue of Cartoon Network Action Pack at your LCS with your's and GLX's names on it. :wink:


:smt013 :smt013

There wasn't any such thing when I went there yesterday.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

AMS wrote:
:smt013 :smt013

There wasn't any such thing when I went there yesterday.


We had to read through it first, just to be sure it was age-appropriate for you and GLX and not too adult or anything.
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm

That is very thoughtful of you.

The bust on Sue Richards was a little much in Spider-man this week too, its going to take a while to get that image out of my head.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 pm

AMS wrote:That is very thoughtful of you.

The bust on Sue Richards was a little much in Spider-man this week too, its going to take a while to get that image out of my head.


I'm sure you'll rub it out.
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I'm sure you'll rub it out.


Now that is a little much...

******

Postby ****** » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

AMS wrote:That is very thoughtful of you.

The bust on Sue Richards was a little much in Spider-man this week too, its going to take a while to get that image out of my head.


I know how you feel, there was a panel in an Eightball strip I read last night with Lucy from Peanuts topless. I'll be haunted by that panel forever. :|

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 55 guests