Advertisement

Review Group Week #268: Butcher Baker:The Righteous Maker #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 59 posts

Re: Review Group Week #268: Butcher Baker:The Righteous Make

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 am

Punchy wrote:Got a copy of this, F-U MGS!

Victorian Squid would respond to your post, but he's busy luxuriating on his yacht.

(Which is propped up on bricks in his front yard because he lives in Ohio.)

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Punchy wrote:Got a copy of this, F-U MGS!

The truth is, I had them leave one for you because I was sorry to hear about what happened to your dog. :-(

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:20 pm

It looks like the speculator market is already too late on this one.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
The truth is, I had them leave one for you because I was sorry to hear about what happened to your dog. :-(

There were about 3 copies left.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Punchy wrote:
There were about 3 copies left.

There are two other British people I felt sorry for as well.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Plus, there are other books to speculate on...heh heh..

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Plus, there are other books to speculate on...heh heh..

Like Nonplayer and Undying Love? I got them too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:38 am

Butcher Baker, The Righteous Maker #1 - Untitled - Casey & Huddleston

Story - Well that was.... interesting. Butcher Baker is probably one of the strangest first issues of a comic I have read in a long time, I'm really not sure what to make of it. Which makes trying to write 3 or 4 paragraphs on the book a rather difficult proposition.

I think the main reason for this is that BB,TRM is shorter than most comics, at only 18 pages of story (plus a healthy amount of backmatter so you get your money's worth), Joe Casey has to cram a lot in, and I don't think he managed enough cramming in #1 to really hook me. I'm certainly interested in this book's unique tone, but I'm not really sure why yet.

The basic plot is this; Butcher Baker is a retired superhero (kind of a Captain America analogue) who loves fucking. He is visited by Dick Cheney and Jay Leno and recruited by the Government to kill all the super-villains he arrested and are now too expensive to incarcerate. On the way to the Prison in his massive truck, he pisses off a cop and monologues, then he blows up the Prison. The End.

That's it really, but it's all spiced up with a lot of nudity and sweating and weird ideas. But this alone isn't enough. I'm not a fan of self-consciously 'wacky' books which pile as many 'shark ninja zombies fighting robot monkey cowboys in space' in them, and I fear that Butcher Baker may become that, just trying for non-sequitur bollocks. Hopefully later issues will allay this fear, but as I said, based on this issue, we just don't know yet.

At the moment, the thing that sets this book (apart from the art, more on that later) is the sexually explicit nature of the book. On the first page we get a Doorknob shaped like an actual Knob. There are tits everywhere, and Casey livens up the exposition by having it take place during an Orgy. I'm not sure how I feel about this, I mean, it's not like nudity is that shocking, but this is much more in-your-face than most comic book nudity. I mean look at that cover. Comic books have matured in a lot of ways, but in many ways their take on sexuality and sex is very adolescent. Maybe Butcher Baker will be the book that finally picks up where American Flagg! left off and explores sex properly. Or maybe it'll just be gratuitous stupidity.

As you can probably guess, the main tone of this review is that even after reading this book more than once, I am still none the wiser. I feel that this book doesn't really stand alone. Luckily #2 is out this week, so things could be cleared up. Joe Casey is a writer who is always worth getting behind, he's always trying something new. And even if I don't quite get what this book is going for, I'm still interested in following it.

Art - Mike Huddleston is an artist I'm not familiar with, but he puts in some fantastic work here, especially since he is the colourist as well as the penciller. Every page pops with life and energy, and his style changes a lot, even from panel to panel. This makes the book a frenetic read, and it really fits the odd-ball nature of Casey's script. His caricatures of Leno and Cheney are spot on too, as are his depictions of male and female genitalia and what happens when they come together. I wouldn't go as far to say that it's worth picking this book up just for the art, but it's damn near that.

Best Line - 'You know me, Dick ... I convinced an entire nation that I'm not the douchebag they think I am'

7/10

Yes that's right,a Punchy 7.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 am

A Punchy 7 is just a 'Punchy'. It's the Wolverine of comic scores.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand