Advertisement

Review Group Week #269: Brightest Day #23

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week #269: Brightest Day #23

Postby 3MJ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:That was remarkably coherent and possibly almost entirely free of ridiculously-grandiose claims. :?

Who did you get to post that?

I'm paying Eli Katz to ghostwrite posts for me, in order to increase my rep :(

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Always Right wrote:
I'm paying Eli Katz to ghostwrite posts for me, in order to increase my rep :(

:lol:

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Always Right wrote:
Bendis' earlier work which includes two of the best runs ever on superhero books, as well as his none superhero work elevate him above Johns. Furthermore Bendis looks towards the future (killing Alpha Flight, his new Avengers, Ultimate Spider-man) whereas Johns is preocupied with the past (fear bug, Hal Jordan, Barry as Flash).

A typical Bendis retcon (e.g the Illuminati or Beyonder) will often contradict continuity, but provide interesting new ideas to propel the universe forward. Johns retcons (supermans origin or Yellow fear bug) will be there to reset things to the status quo and how they were originally.

Hence why a lot of older fans love Johns and hate Bendis. Johns will bring characters back constantly, and always look to please character fanboys. Bendis often ignores continuity and characters to make a story stronger which will piss off character fanboys.

Apart from that they're both on major titles with a lot of free reign, but also restricted as they are the companies flagship, and don't want to lose too many readers. Johns GL has descended into a mockery as it's just different coloured lanterns fighting, whereas Bendis' Avengers seems to be tying in to much to the past whilst playing fast and lose with continuity.

I bet you were a member of the Manson Family in another life... :|

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

chap22 wrote:speaking of the Great Padder...was it just me, or did he look even MORE ridiculously douchey than usual in that big 2-page Marvel Architects ad in Fear Itself this week? what a tool. :roll:

He's actually a nice dude. The man had free cookies at HeroesCon.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 am

starlord wrote:

It is, and of this issue. Look, I see it this way. If our good friend Zero can declare the art was adiquate but still give it a 0 then I'm well within my rights to proclaim it the greatest thing since sliced bread. I feel that it balances out the obvious biggotary towards my selection by others.

And I LOVE this series (yet it still is no where near as good as Justice League Lost)

It was functional and adequate. It had nothing to recommend or condemn it apart from what it was used to represent and what I showed was a mess. The single page appearances from Boomerang and Green Arrow were just ridiculous and the Swamp Thing stuff made no sense at all. I didn't find anything in the comic to recommend or enjoy and Lorna and Weird Worlds both at least had some art that stood out in a crowd. This was a lower zero than either of them to me.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 am

Zero wrote:
It was functional and adequate. It had nothing to recommend or condemn it apart from what it was used to represent and what I showed was a mess. The single page appearances from Boomerang and Green Arrow were just ridiculous and the Swamp Thing stuff made no sense at all. I didn't find anything in the comic to recommend or enjoy and Lorna and Weird Worlds both at least had some art that stood out in a crowd. This was a lower zero than either of them to me.

Functional and adequate to you is a zero? John Byrne is functional and adequate and I wouldn't even rate him a zero, though my personal desire would be to do so without hesitation.

I do appreciate you actually reading it though; knowing from the beginning that you wanted to hate it and therefore would. Some people just skip it and wouldn't even give me the decency to review my pick. (It happens often when you're a DC man hanging out in a Marvel forum).

I've had a lot of fun doing these reviews (except when I choose and make everyone miserable for some reason). You guys always gave me some laughs and riled me up in a fun way. Keep doing what you're all doing and enjoy yourselves. Thanks for the good times and try not to be too mean to each other.

Ciao! :D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:25 am

I honestly felt the issue deserved the 2 I gave it. While the series in its entirety has been pretty varied with a lot of highs and lows, but as this was the issue that was meant to be the centerpiece that drew all the plot threads together I found it to be a rushed job to get everything into place for this issue's payoff and the eventual series conclusion.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 378 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:29 am

Did starlord just quit the review group?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:30 am

AMS wrote:Did starlord just quit the review group?

Again???

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:30 am

AMS wrote:Did starlord just quit the review group?

Who knows, he's being a drama queen.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:37 am

The Review Group should remember the words of Dharma master Cheng Yen. Take disputes with others as an education. You can then turn undesirable events into instruments for reorganizing yourself. Don't take other viewpoints as disputes, for it will make your life miserable. In essence, all minor incidents in life are therefore living sutras.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:57 am

Victorian Squid wrote:The Review Group should remember the words of Dharma master Cheng Yen. Take disputes with others as an education. You can then turn undesirable events into instruments for reorganizing yourself. Don't take other viewpoints as disputes, for it will make your life miserable. In essence, all minor incidents in life are therefore living sutras.

I don't think it makes much difference whether Swamp Thing is DCU or Vertigo, the Alan Moore run was very much DCU.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 am

Punchy wrote:
I don't think it makes much difference whether Swamp Thing is DCU or Vertigo, the Alan Moore run was very much DCU.

Abiding in yesterday, we produce nostalgic illusions. Constantly thinking of the past, we bring ourselves more pain, hate, anger, and resentment.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:03 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Abiding in yesterday, we produce nostalgic illusions. Constantly thinking of the past, we bring ourselves more pain, hate, anger, and resentment.

Well it was, the JLA was in it.

And the Demon.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:08 am

Punchy wrote:
Well it was, the JLA was in it.

And the Demon.

One cannot eat pictures of biscuits, not can one string water bubbles into a necklace.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand