Advertisement

Review Group Week 270 - UNCANNY X-MEN #535

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week 270 - UNCANNY X-MEN #535

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Haven't found this yet, forgot to read it in the store.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 502 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:17 am

John Snow wrote:
Go molest a koala or whatever it is that you do when you're not picking terrible comics.

I can molest marisupals and pick horrible comics at the same time, assface. Neither activities are all that hard.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:45 am

Uh-oh, I don't mean to worry you John but I only see 1 review so far. :lol:

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:41 pm

doombug wrote:Uh-oh, I don't mean to worry you John but I only see 1 review so far. :lol:

:roll:

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I guess it's official now. It's a coup.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 425 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm still shocked at how high a score Lorna eventually received.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 pm

I still need to find a copy of this but I will review eventually.

Postby ****** » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I'm still shocked at how high a score Lorna eventually received.

Take out Punchy's 6 and BS's 10 and it still scores higher than Weird Worlds.

Postby ****** » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I still need to find a copy of this but I will review eventually.

Which is bizarro, Uncanny should be the easiest book ever to find. :?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Uncanny X-Men #535

One of my favorite moments every spring is when that first warm breeze blows through our neighborhood and I open the windows for the first time in months. The fresh air rushes through the rooms, blowing away the cob webs with a promise for endless summer days of fun, sunshine and adventure.

This is exactly what this issue of this book felt like to me. What a breath of fresh air; with promise for real old fashioned fun. I really enjoyed this.

Story: 8
Art: 9
My Score: 8.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 502 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:37 am

BlueStreak wrote:I guess it's official now. It's a coup.

You must reenforce your power with the killing of an innocent!!! Starlord's death would probably impress that Robespierre.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 am

I've been booted out of the RG. Isn't that enough death already?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 am

Uncanny X-Men #535 - 'Breaking Point: Part One' - Gillen, Dodson, Dodson and Ponsor

Story - I've never been a particularly fervent follower of the X-Men. Sure I like some of the characters, who doesn't love a bit of Nightcrawler, Colossus and Wolverine? But I don't have the kind of attachment to the Merry Mutants as a I do with, say Spider-Man, who I'd probably read even if someone terrible was writing it (insert joke here about how that someone terrible is Dan Slott, ha ha, hee hee). If the X-Men has a crap writer, they drop off my radar. As such, Matt Fraction coming on to the book with #500 actually marked the first time I had ever picked up the flagship title Uncanny X-Men on a regular basis and I really enjoyed his run (I am seemingly the only one who did), as it moved the X-Men into some very interesting and new places in San Francisco and then Utopia and did so with a sense of fun and movement rarely seen in X-books.

But now Fraction is gone, to be replaced by Kieron Gillen. Is it now time for me to end my brief flirtation with Uncanny X-Men? On the basis of this issue, it certainly is not. I've been a fan of Gillen for a long time, ever since the first series of Phonogram, and it's been great to see his rise and rise. I don't think anybody would have guessed that the guy who wrote that weird comic about Brit-Pop would eventually be writing Uncanny Fucking X-Men.

Gillen's run already got off to a good start, what with the very fun 'Quarantine' story he co-wrote with Fraction, and last week's Magneto-centric #534.1 (probably the best of the 'Point One' books so far), but this issue is where his stories begin in earnest. Gillen picks up not where Matt Fraction let go, but goes back to some of the threads left tangling tantalisingly in the wind by Joss Whedon from Astonishing. We've got Breakworld and SWORD and Kitty Pryde and Space Bullets. It's all a bit of a welcome diversion from the current Earthly confusion. Gillen previously worked with a couple of these concepts in the short-lived SWORD series, and it was great to see him use characters like Agent Brand and Unit again. It's just a shame he couldn't use Beast.

The majority of this issue is set up for the epic space story to come, but Gillen, like most good X-Men writers finds time for some excellent character moments. Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolverine, Agent Brand all get chances to shine. Gillen also continues to write a supremely awesome Namor, getting just the write tone of arrogance and dickishness. Gillen does the same for Doctor Nemesis. I think Gillen's real strength as a writer is his dialogue, and his ability to write witty one-liners is reaching almost Warren Ellis levels, especially on the more caustic characters like Emma Frost, who Gillen gets spot on.

Overall, this was a very good issue of Uncanny X-Men, and marks a new chapter in the book. It may not be as poppy and peppy as Fraction's run, but that may be a good thing, Gillen's writing and grasp of the various and sundry X-peeps seems to be on a firmer ground than Fraction's, and the way he's using old (but still recent) bits of lore works well. I can't wait to see where Gillen will take the X-Men, he's tying up loose ends here, but he's also setting up his own stuff. For me, this issue is how mainstream superhero comics should be.

Art - Terry and Rachel Dodson have been part of the Uncanny scenery for the last 3 or so years now, alternating story arcs during Fraction's run with Greg Land, and that status quo is set to continue. I like their work. Yes it is a little bit cheesecakey, but it's never overtly that, they always pay equal amounts of attention to the male characters and to the actual storytelling. It's bright, solid stuff that fits the tone of the story. No more need be said.

Best Line - 'I say we get this Planetary-Level ballbuster out of our lives' followed by 'I wasn't talking about the Spaceship. But considering we're in the neighbourhood, we may as well lend a hand' A great example of Gillen's dialogue, Wolverine with a more subtle put-down than usual, but it works.

8/10

Postby ****** » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 am

Uncanny X-Men #535

While being a big fan of Keiron Gillen's work on Phonogram, I actually haven't read much of his Marvel output at all. I've never been a big X reader and Thor tie-ins during Siege didn't really draw much interest from me at the time. With this week being my pick for the Review Group, giving Gillen's Marvel work a try seemed like as good a plan as any and having read both Journey Into Mystery and this issue of Uncanny, there was no wrong choice.

Gillen has done something really smart here with the start of his first solo arc on Uncanny, he's tied it directly into Joss Whedon's stellar (IMO) Astonishing run. I would imagine I'm not the only person who hasn't read any X-Men comics since Whedon and Cassaday's final issue so returning to the Breakworld plot as a jumping on point was kind of brilliant. Sure stuff has happened between then and now, but with a panel here and a panel there for explanation I felt like I was up to speed with what I needed to know. All of the characters felt familiar and true to their voices and any Namor appearance is always fun.

If it's possible to have no opinion on an artist, that's kind of how I feel about Terry Dodson. It looks nice and it tells the story well enough, but it just doesn't excite me much.

While the fear of inevitable X-crossovers is going to keep me from reading this monthly, I'm definitely down for the eventual Breakworld trade to see where Gillen goes with this. Actually between Journey Into Mystery, which I liked so much I'll actually be reading in singles, and this I'm adding Gillen to the handful of writers (Bru, Hickman, Urasawa) that I'll read everything by.

Story: 9
Art: 7.5
Overall: 8.25

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand