Advertisement

Review Group Week #271: THUNDERBOLTS #156

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: not here

Re: Review Group Week #271: THUNDERBOLTS #156

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:20 am

starlord wrote:I thought Ellis was actually a horrible run. One of the few comics I have ever actually dropped and not cared about being a completist over.

I loved it and thought it was one of the best superhero stories in awhile.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I should preface this with the fact that I'm just not a guy who responds to Jeff Parker's writing. To me, there's no there there. When I read something he's written, I feel like nothing was accomplished and I wonder why I even bothered. Unfortunately, this issue of Thunderbolts really didn't shake me of that notion. Nothing that happened here really grabbed me. The creepy castle was kind of interesting, but that was about all. Also, it looks like The Shocker might have something to do again, and I always liked him as a villain.

The art didn't do much for me either. It just looked scatchy and uninteresting. Kev Walker seemed to do the bare minimum needed to tell the story, but it was just unappealing to me.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:13 pm

another comic with shitty art and a story I didn't want to finish and don't care about it. Say what you will about Ellisbolts, at least he made it crazy and readable. This just had a boring tone and no actual movement to it.

Once again I drag down a book into the bowels of hell.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Walker is still a bad ass even in his current situation.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I remember reading it and eBaying it, but it wasn't A-level Ellis...I thought he wrote a pretty good Norman Osborn, didn't he?

None of Ellis marvel stuff has really stood out to me.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:21 pm

You know what I just realized? None of the characters being considered by Luke Cage for membership on the cover of the book actually show up in the book itself. :)
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 pm

What's the pick for this week coming up?

Thank you Troy for the sig

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:54 pm

We'll probably have to go to a poll. Daringd hasn't been on in 16 days...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:17 pm

BlueStreak wrote:We'll probably have to go to a poll. Daringd hasn't been on in 16 days...

or maybe you just throw him out of the group and go to the next person in the rotation.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
or maybe you just throw him out of the group and go to the next person in the rotation.

We haven't had a poll in a while and Amoebas will just go next week. :smt102

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 pm

WE DEMAND A POLL DAMMIT!

And not a Pole, or a pole this time. :smt013

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Thunderbolts #156

I really like this series. It's a fun book and one of my favorites that I look forward too every month. Ever since Ellis turned the status quo on its head by having a team of irredeemable sociopaths as heroes followed by Diggle's take which turned the team into Osborn's personal kill squad, Parker has taken the book more or less to its roots with a new status quo: Prisoners being offered a chance to join the Thunderbolts team and earn their freedom and possibly redemption by undertaking government sanctioned missions. A sort of work-release program for supervillains more or less.

Every issue so far has been quietly building up small threads (Fixer's disgruntlement at being relegated to support status, Luke Cage fighting the system to keep the ideals alive of what the Thunderbolts program should be, Ghost playing along but keeping his cards to himself, Moonstone trying to find a way to play an angle for herself, the former US Agent John Walker in his role as warden of the Raft and much more). Everything has been a slow burn yet the story arc's still manage to stay relatively self contained.

Now we get the next developments, the inclusion of Satanna, Satan's daughter, to the team as their magic expert, who is equally eager to work her magic on the team itself for better or worse in an amusing scene where she gets acquainted with every member in an extremely friendly manner...even Moonstone who was on the receiving end in a rare instances.

Unfortunately we don't have much time to digest this though as we're immediately thrown into the next TBolts mission into an ancient German castle populated by WWI era supernatural German troops.

Then there's the other new development: The interviews leading to the formation of the B-Team which will be led by Songbird. Troll seems to be a sure bet of making the cut thanks to the character being created and featured heavily in this book. Same with the winner of Marvel's "Pick the next Thunderbolts member" poll: The Shocker, one of Spider-Man's greatest and most underrated villains of all-time.

I especially liked Mach V's reasoning for forwarding Herman onto the team: For kicking Spider-man's ass a few times back in the day. This has the potential to be the best buddy combination since Taskmaster and Constrictor over in the old Avengers: Initiative book.

The rest of the team has a decidedly mercenary feel though: Centurius (who I vaguely remember from way back in one of my 60's Nick Fury trades) and Boomerang, who clearly see only their skills as assets to the team and don't give a rats ass about rehabilitation. And finally the last of this issue's interviewee's: Mister Hyde who I see as the Crossbones of this lot.

Out of the character mentioned but not interviewed there were definitely some interesting candidates: It'd be nice to see Blizzard return to the Thunderbolts given his history and appearance, the Super-Skrull (maybe this is why he didn't make the cut in the Annihilators...?), Black Mamba (though minus the rest of the B.A.D. Girls :( )

That's what I've enjoyed about this book so far, rather than other titles that subtly build up a big bad throughout an arc the character's actual development seems to be the focus here. Example: who'd have imagined the Ghost could be one of the most fascinating characters on the team? With all this foreboding about the teams volatile composition it's obvious that there will be a payoff somewhere down the line but so far this has been a title that is building up mostly low-tier characters...and this issue is no exception.

Onto the art: I love Kev Walker's work on this title. I find his art different, awesome and most importantly of all it can tell the story by itself...he's absolutely nailed it on this book. RoK: Imperial Guard, where I first saw his work, didn't do much for me but what I saw as a shaky start on TBolts (the ugly Songbird hair) I love it. What really stands out is his depiction of Luke Cage, arguably one of my favourite renderings of the character.

Can't understand all the hate for it at all. I remember Parker describing it in some interview in an analogy that fits: cross between Jamie Hewlett and Mike Mignola. If that's not your thing then I suggest you stick to the comfort zone of DC in-house art.

Story: 8
Art: 8
Overall: 8

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:38 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:You know what I just realized? None of the characters being considered by Luke Cage for membership on the cover of the book actually show up in the book itself. :)

Mr. Hyde is on the cover.

I think the Emile Blonsky abomination is dead though, what a silly cover.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand