Advertisement

Contest for writers & artists - Get published, win stuff

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Paul Render
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Contest for writers & artists - Get published, win stuff

Postby Paul Render » Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Rendewrx Magazine #1 was launched this week
http://www.renderwrx.net/apps/documents/

Every issue will contain a sequential art & article contest where the finalists are awarded prizes (paid work, comics, graphic novels & possibly more).

Check out the magazine for full info, but here's the quick stats...

We need sequential art submissions from new, unknown or smaller press people looking to take the next step.

We need to see 5-8 pages of sequential art which will be looked at and "judged" by our panel of industry vets. The contestants will be sorted and the one or two judged to have the most potential will be awarded the prizes.

Here's some portfolios from the first issue to show you what we saw in that issue... http://www.renderwrx.net/apps/photos/category?id=883297

For the writers...

We need people to send in articles about any aspect of the comic book industry. Read the magazine linked above to see the first articles published to give you the set up.

We need submitted articles to be at least 1500 words, max 2900 words. If you've ever wanted to voice your opinions about something going on in comic books, this is your chance. You don't need to be professional or published. Talk about any subject you want.

Get your voice heard and get published. The articles which are deemed to be the most publishable will be awarded the same prizes listed above and publication & more to be decided later.

Send all stuff to this email stuffph@hotmail.com

Advertisement

shannonh
Mad Hatter

Re: Contest for writers & artists - Get published, win stuff

Postby shannonh » Mon May 09, 2011 12:44 pm

WOW :shock: The first issue is full of useful stuff.... like a Rob Liefeld bash article. Why WOULDN'T someone want to be a part of THAT? :drunk :drunk I like how the magazine talks up underground comic artists and talks down an industry icon like Liefeld. VERY professional AND informative. :P getting people to give free articles AND comic art.....priceless.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon May 09, 2011 12:48 pm

shannonh wrote:WOW :shock: The first issue is full of useful stuff.... like a Rob Liefeld bash article. Why WOULDN'T someone want to be a part of THAT? :drunk :drunk I like how the magazine talks up underground comic artists and talks down an industry icon like Liefeld. VERY professional AND informative. :P getting people to give free articles AND comic art.....priceless.

That's sort of Render's MO. He loves to bash mainstream stuff to pass off his own stuff as a superior product.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Who is Paul Render?

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 27 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Mon May 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Bookmarked.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Always Right wrote:Who is Paul Render?

He's only got 102 posts, it shouldn't take too long to get the basic gist of his schtick.

Paul Render
Whale Castrato

Postby Paul Render » Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 pm

shannonh wrote:WOW :shock: The first issue is full of useful stuff.... like a Rob Liefeld bash article. Why WOULDN'T someone want to be a part of THAT? :drunk :drunk I like how the magazine talks up underground comic artists and talks down an industry icon like Liefeld. VERY professional AND informative. :P getting people to give free articles AND comic art.....priceless.

Thanks for reading the magazine, can't please everyone.

We are offering payment and free comics/graphic novels for contributing to the contests. I think we that was pretty clear. Maybe it's not?

Also you do pretty good critiques, as made obvious here. How about you put your money where your mouth is and produce something better than I have? Maybe I'm not as talented as you are?

Paul Render
Whale Castrato

Postby Paul Render » Mon May 09, 2011 4:43 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
He's only got 102 posts, it shouldn't take too long to get the basic gist of his schtick.

What "schtick" is this? Why not make yourself useful and let us all know what "schtick" I espouse?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon May 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Paul Render wrote:What "schtick" is this? Why not make yourself useful and let us all know what "schtick" I espouse?

Well, most of your posts can be put into one of two categories.

1) Mainstream comics/comic culture are dreck (a perfectly valid opinion). Examples of this can be found in your "Should we call them comics anymore" thread or the "Are there any good superhero comics anymore" threads.

2) Come check out my Indy website in which you can find fun things like a rehash of Diamond's Top 300 list minus all of the horrid mainstream comics (including stuff like Fables, The Unwritten and Powers).

And that probably encompasses about 60% of your posts, if not more.

There's nothing wrong with having a schtick, mind you. Many of our beloved posters here have one.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Hmm, I think he is right about mainstream comics. I'm on board with him.

Paul Render
Whale Castrato

Postby Paul Render » Mon May 09, 2011 5:22 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Well, most of your posts can be put into one of two categories.

1) Mainstream comics/comic culture are dreck (a perfectly valid opinion). Examples of this can be found in your "Should we call them comics anymore" thread or the "Are there any good superhero comics anymore" threads.

2) Come check out my Indy website in which you can find fun things like a rehash of Diamond's Top 300 list minus all of the horrid mainstream comics (including stuff like Fables, The Unwritten and Powers).

And that probably encompasses about 60% of your posts, if not more.

There's nothing wrong with having a schtick, mind you. Many of our beloved posters here have one.

Thanks for reading my posts for one and second thanks for now talking to me like I'm a real person, thats very human of you.

Usually "schticks" are relegated to an act or show, something that a huckster uses to trick or connive someone into doing something. So if my actual opinions are viewed as "schtick" then that sucks. But at least my opinions are clear!

There is good amongst mainstream anything, but you hear about mainstream stuff everywhere! Why can't I push non-mainstream stuff? And I never think of my personal stuff as superior to anything. It's an alternative.

And the point of this thread is to get unknown voices some attention. Maybe someone will see their work in our contests and they will join the mainstream someday if they wish?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Paul Render wrote:
Thanks for reading my posts for one and second thanks for now talking to me like I'm a real person, thats very human of you.

Usually "schticks" are relegated to an act or show, something that a huckster uses to trick or connive someone into doing something. So if my actual opinions are viewed as "schtick" then that sucks. But at least my opinions are clear!

There is good amongst mainstream anything, but you hear about mainstream stuff everywhere! Why can't I push non-mainstream stuff? And I never think of my personal stuff as superior to anything. It's an alternative.

And the point of this thread is to get unknown voices some attention. Maybe someone will see their work in our contests and they will join the mainstream someday if they wish?

:lol: :lol:

Anyways, once your second issue comes out, feel free to contact our press email. We'll be more than happy to give some press time.

Paul Render
Whale Castrato

Postby Paul Render » Mon May 09, 2011 9:00 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Anyways, once your second issue comes out, feel free to contact our press email. We'll be more than happy to give some press time.

Ummm, ok. Who are you? And where's this press link you speak of?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Paul Render wrote:
Ummm, ok. Who are you? And where's this press link you speak of?

I'm one of the main administrators for the forum and for the front page. Feel free to send us press releases at theouthousers@yahoo.com

shannonh
Mad Hatter

Postby shannonh » Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 am

Paul Render wrote:
Thanks for reading the magazine, can't please everyone.

We are offering payment and free comics/graphic novels for contributing to the contests. I think we that was pretty clear. Maybe it's not?

Also you do pretty good critiques, as made obvious here. How about you put your money where your mouth is and produce something better than I have? Maybe I'm not as talented as you are?

No, what's clear is you have an on going contest where the finalists/winners get free comics/ graphic novels and such. I did not see anywhere (in magazine) that it said get paid...Other than in your post here. Or maybe you're trying to "pay" talent with free stuff? Either way, I'm not interested. I hope you do well in getting people to fill content for you.

Also, don't get your panties in a wad. I never brought your talent into the conversation. I never heard of you till now. I would like to say, for someone who likes to bash mainstream comics, you're fairly sensitive about critique. Those who dish it out should be able to take it. There is a big difference between someone who "critiques" to see the industry change for the better and those who are just bitter because the industry doesn't give them the time of day. :outhouse:

Good luck to you. And I hope everyone who contributes gets what they deserve.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Creator's Corner