Advertisement

Review Group Week #273: Avengers Academy #13

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: Review Group Week #273: Avengers Academy #13

Postby GLX » Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I actually tried to read this, but couldn't get through two pages. I think, beyond a few crime books, I don't have much interest in comics right now.

I've only read the first Avengers Academy collection and all I have to say to this is...
:smt011 :smt011 :smt011

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 pm

hmmmm, I agree with Mr. Snow's review but I feel compelled to score the book higher because reading this issue makes me want to read more of this series which means I'm hotting the interwebs to read some more but for right now I'll give this one a 6.7
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun May 08, 2011 12:52 am

Eli Katz wrote:I actually tried to read this, but couldn't get through two pages. I think, beyond a few crime books, I don't have much interest in comics right now.

I totally understand that. I'm just now getting back into them again. The last few months I've been going through the motions. (and that's NOT what she said :P )

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun May 08, 2011 12:54 am

As much as I like this book I don't think I'll ever love it as much as I did The Initiative.

Review coming later.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Is this you Christian, or did someone steal your idea and run with it?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Why does time go by so quickly sometimes, yet the 30 days of genre seems to last forever?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 376 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 08, 2011 4:01 pm

A prom with young super heroes isn't something I've ever read before and I enjoyed what I read. Most of the interpersonal stuff was fun to read, but I think I enjoyed the interaction between Hazmat and Mettle the most. It came across as two lonely people finding each other which has always been something I've enjoyed. The only part that came across as a character being off was Firestar throwing Justice into the table.

Overall I'd say it was good, but not fantastic, definitely above average. Let's give it a 6 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week #273: Avengers Academy #13

Postby BlueStreak » Sun May 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Is this you Christian, or did someone steal your idea and run with it?

Bastards. That's definitely not me.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Bastards. That's definitely not me.

It was in two of the side ads on the right.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 am

Avengers Academy #13 - 'Prom Night' - Gage, Chen, Hanna & Cox

Story - For a book that stars mostly all-new characters, it's surprising how Avengers Academy is perhaps the most traditional Avengersy of all the various and sundry Avengers comics. It's the book that's dealt with the most traditional Avengersy villains, including the classic threat of Korvac, and most of all, it tells it's stories in the most traditional way. No Bendis back-and-forths here, and no terse Brubaker spy stuff, this is a classic superhero comic in all the best ways.

And this issue is another classic superhero story, the pause for breath issue. Like how the X-Men occasionally take a break from being hated and feared by those they protect by playing Baseball, the AA gang take a break from being trained to be the next generation of Avengers by having a Prom.

I must admit that I was confused by the timing of this. Being an Englishman I am of course not as familiar with the Prom as you Americans, but aren't they normally reserved for when students graduate? These guys are nowhere near graduation! But that doesn't really matter, it was a good excuse for some cool guest-stars and some decent character moments.

It wouldn't really be a Prom if there were only like 6 attendees, so various other Marvel teen heroes pop up, mostly the Young Allies and a couple of characters from Avengers: The Initiative that had been left in limbo, like Batwing, Hardball and everyone's favourite uesless fat-ass Butterball. And also some New Warriors, who are surely too old for Prom? It was good to see this next generation of heroes come together and spend some time together. We all know that these guys will never actually get to become the main characters of the Marvel Universe, but it's still fun to see how well Marvel has done at introducing new characters.

What follows at the Prom is some pretty standard Teen drama really, characters hooking up, characters arguing and all that stuff. I particularly liked the development of a relationship between Hazmat and Mettle, they are making quite a cute couple. I also liked Justice and Firestar's reconciliation. They were members of the main Avengers back when I first began to follow the series, and I've always had a soft spot for them.

So yeah, not much happened in this issue, some slight growth, and some interesting stuff between Hank Pym and Tigra. I really like Hank now that Jan is dead, just like how Cyclops became infinitely more interesting when Jean popped her clogs, Hank is more appealing when 'the love of his life' is dead. Not that I hate the Wasp or anything, I just think they work better apart, and we don't constantly get reminded that he smacked her upside her head. Oh yeah, and I was kind of disappointed that Reptil went back to being a teen so quickly, that looked like it was going to be a long-running plot. And they also missed a good opportunity to have him score the kids some booze for their prom. You're telling me that if one of your friends looked like he was 35 you wouldn't use it to get some booze? These kids are supposed to be (possibly almost) villains!

So yeah, this wasn't a momentous issue or anything, it was a character issue, and was a welcome breather after the crazy time-travel cosmic shenanigans of the Korvac arc. And with the Secret Six coming up, these characters needed a bit of a breather. Yes there were some silly moments and unreasonable actions, but these are troubled teens and this book does a better job than most of getting across teenage emotions, and this issue is no exception...

...except for the ill-advised use of Katy Perry's laughably bad song "Firework". That scene was pretty bad, not only is the song trite rubbish, but I can't really believe that characters as fucked up as the Avengers Academy would like Katy Perry, they'd be into darker music than that, it should have been The Smiths or something. Unless of course Finesse actually has felt like a plastic bag, Reptil felt so paper thin and Veil like a house or cards, so close from caving in.

Art - Sean Chen does a decent job of filling in here. He's been an artist I've been familiar with since he did Heroes Return Iron Man with Kurt Busiek way back when, and he's always been a decent pinch-hitter for any Marvel book since then. He doesn't set my world on fire, but he's a very good artist all the same. I think the best work he did here was making Adult Reptil and Teen Reptil look like the same person at different ages.

Best Line - 'Hey! Settle! No fighting amongst ourselves. This isn't the X-Men'

8/10

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 am

First off, let me apologize for getting in my pick later than I promised to. Mother's Day occupied a lot more of my time than I thought it was going to.

With that out of the way, the book that will be reviewing for Week #274 is....

Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #1

Solicitation
With a growing sense of uncertainty and despair gripping the nation--and the world--the remnants of the Initiative program are sworn in as federal agents charged with keeping the peace. Their ensuing actions, however, threaten to plunge America's young heroes into civil war! Featuring AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE stars THOR GIRL, ULTRAGIRL, CLOUD 9, KOMDO and HARDBALL--plus FIRESTAR, GRAVITY and some very cool surprises--YOUTH IN REVOLT brings the horror of FEAR ITSELF to the doorstep of a generation!

God I hope this doesn't suck.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon May 09, 2011 12:37 pm

I've never read a bad comic by McKeever and Norton.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon May 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Starlord wrote:
I totally understand that. I'm just now getting back into them again. The last few months I've been going through the motions. (and that's NOT what she said :P )

Yeah, when you read something for decades, you inevitably grow bored with them from time to time.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon May 09, 2011 7:24 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:First off, let me apologize for getting in my pick later than I promised to. Mother's Day occupied a lot more of my time than I thought it was going to.

With that out of the way, the book that will be reviewing for Week #274 is....

Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #1

Solicitation
With a growing sense of uncertainty and despair gripping the nation--and the world--the remnants of the Initiative program are sworn in as federal agents charged with keeping the peace. Their ensuing actions, however, threaten to plunge America's young heroes into civil war! Featuring AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE stars THOR GIRL, ULTRAGIRL, CLOUD 9, KOMDO and HARDBALL--plus FIRESTAR, GRAVITY and some very cool surprises--YOUTH IN REVOLT brings the horror of FEAR ITSELF to the doorstep of a generation!

God I hope this doesn't suck.

Good choice, but it needs more Sentinel!!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Yeah, when you read something for decades, you inevitably grow bored with them from time to time.

You're just not reading the right stuff.

And if you're reading RG picks, doubly so.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand