Sunday, May 29, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Special collector's edition 4D variant!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week #273: Avengers Academy #13

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:05 am

Punchy wrote:
But together they form a commonly used phrase.

You ejit.

I refuse to cater to the lowest common denominator.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:05 am

thefourthman wrote:None of which is apparent in this issue, therefore, it is irrelevant.


Spider-Man's uncle being dead isn't apparent in every issue of Spider-Man, doesn't mean it's irrelevant.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:06 am

thefourthman wrote:I refuse to cater to the lowest common denominator.


It's a good phrase, and really, "sundry" doesn't particularly work by itself.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:13 am

Punchy wrote:
It's a good phrase, and really, "sundry" doesn't particularly work by itself.

It's a dumb phrase, and yes, it does.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:15 am

Punchy wrote:
Spider-Man's uncle being dead isn't apparent in every issue of Spider-Man, doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

The issue should stand on its own and it doesn't. It is interesting back story, and could be a reason to look into the history of the book. It certainly is one thing that leads to the dynamics in the book, but there is nothing about it mentioned in this book. Sad, given that it is 13 issues in and the "interesting plot device" can't even be mentioned.

This was a mediocre comic by a strong creative team. Which seems to pretty much define marvel currently.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:16 am

thefourthman wrote:It's a dumb phrase, and yes, it does.


"All the sundry Avengers titles"

Doesn't work for me.

Either way, it's a phrase that's been used for 100s of years, don't blame me for it.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Wed May 11, 2011 6:17 am

Oh how we've missed these little tiffs.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:17 am

Punchy wrote:
"All the sundry Avengers titles"

Doesn't work for me.

Either way, it's a phrase that's been used for 100s of years, don't blame me for it.

I don't care whether it works for you. It is still better then literally saying "All the various and various Avengers titles".

I can blame you for using it, because you did!
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 am

thefourthman wrote:The issue should stand on its own and it doesn't. It is interesting back story, and could be a reason to look into the history of the book. It certainly is one thing that leads to the dynamics in the book, but there is nothing about it mentioned in this book. Sad, given that it is 13 issues in and the "interesting plot device" can't even be mentioned.

This was a mediocre comic by a strong creative team. Which seems to pretty much define marvel currently.


Not every issue has to mention the character's origins, that's a ridiculous claim.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:20 am

Zero wrote:Oh how we've missed these little tiffs.


I haven't.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 am

thefourthman wrote:I don't care whether it works for you. It is still better then literally saying "All the various and various Avengers titles".

I can blame you for using it, because you did!


It works for every english speaker in the world.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:22 am

Punchy wrote:
Not every issue has to mention the character's origins, that's a ridiculous claim.

I didn't say they have to mention the character's origin, you said some bullshit about an interesting plot twist, which is not evident in the issue at hand and irrelevant as a result. Other then a passing mention to Quicksilver acting like Magneto, there is nothing in this issue that deals with it. Unless Katy Perry is actually evil.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 am

Punchy wrote:
It works for every english speaker in the world.

No, only the dumb ones. If you want to perpetuate stupidity, that is your call, but don't get pissy when I call you on it.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 am

thefourthman wrote:No, only the dumb ones. If you want to perpetuate stupidity, that is your call, but don't get pissy when I call you on it.


It's not dumb, it's a perfectly fine phrase.

Why are you being such a twerp?
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 11, 2011 6:28 am

Punchy wrote:
It's not dumb, it's a perfectly fine phrase.

Why are you being such a twerp?

It is not a perfectly fine phrase, it is redundant and meaningless. If anyone said "various and various" to describe something you would even say it was stupid, but because you are using "various and another word which is defined as various" it is okay and your argument is other stupid people have used the phrase for years, get off my lawn, it's not my fault.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 86 guests