Advertisement

Review Group Week #276: Spencer Double Team!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #276: Spencer Double Team!

Postby Punchy » Fri May 27, 2011 9:36 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
so you'll be giving it a 7 then?

Hahaha, fuck you.

I gave Hawkeye a 6 last week, and I liked that one.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 am

guitarsmashley wrote:another fucking issue of shield? I'll review now, 1.

:lol:
That's my review, too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 am

Everything I know about reviewing, I learned from Walt Kelly:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 27, 2011 11:18 am

Iron Man 2.0

This was a fast read and a very short comic. Half of it was spent setting up another character and not very well at all. The art was serviceable but Spencer is definitely about to hit a major wall on his climb to fame. Rhodes doesn't really belong in this comic and is in it for maybe 5 pages then it's immortal weapons and absorbing man and Iron fist. If this book was called fear itself:the Immortal weapons then this would be alright but, it's not it's Iron Man 2.0-War Machine. Give me War Machine.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri May 27, 2011 11:44 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Iron Man 2.0

This was a fast read and a very short comic. Half of it was spent setting up another character and not very well at all. The art was serviceable but Spencer is definitely about to hit a major wall on his climb to fame. Rhodes doesn't really belong in this comic and is in it for maybe 5 pages then it's immortal weapons and absorbing man and Iron fist. If this book was called fear itself:the Immortal weapons then this would be alright but, it's not it's Iron Man 2.0-War Machine. Give me War Machine.

Yeah, it wasn't really what I was expecting either. Pretty sure Fear Itself is sucking down everything it crosses over with into a swirling vortex of turd.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Zero wrote:
Yeah, it wasn't really what I was expecting either. Pretty sure Fear Itself is sucking down everything it crosses over with into a swirling vortex of turd.

2 things are obvious from Fear itself, it's why Brubaker left secret avengers and Spencer is drinking the company line.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 27, 2011 12:33 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
2 things are obvious from Fear itself, it's why Brubaker left secret avengers and Spencer is drinking the company line.

Brubaker is the writer who started Fear Itself.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri May 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Sorry for flaking out, I went on a kind of impromptu road trip with my mates for a few days.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Punchy wrote:
Brubaker is the writer who started Fear Itself.

True but that doesn't mean he wanted to be part of the full line, just the little pieces he could control the most like Cap and Bucky Cap.

- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm

I thought Iron Man 2.0 was pretty good, I haven't read Secret Avengers yet..

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 27, 2011 3:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
True but that doesn't mean he wanted to be part of the full line, just the little pieces he could control the most like Cap and Bucky Cap.

I don't think Bru is the kind of guy to pull a JMS hissy-fit about an event, especially since he was heavily involved in the planning stages of this one (IIRC originally the series was going to be written by both Fraction and Brubaker, with Fraction writing the present day scenes and Bru writing flashback sequences with Red Skull, but they later decided to do that one-shot instead).

I imagine he just wanted to leave Secret Avengers and focus on the Captain America relaunch.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't think Bru is the kind of guy to pull a JMS hissy-fit about an event, especially since he was heavily involved in the planning stages of this one (IIRC originally the series was going to be written by both Fraction and Brubaker, with Fraction writing the present day scenes and Bru writing flashback sequences with Red Skull, but they later decided to do that one-shot instead).

I imagine he just wanted to leave Secret Avengers and focus on the Captain America relaunch.

I don't think he did either, I think it was more of a "I don't feel like writing this, just get someone else to do it."

- Les Paul

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri May 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Bru dropped SA because Cap was splitting into multiple books and he's got some non-comics stuff going and since (paraphrasing what he said on Word Balloon) it was the hardest book on his slate to write it made the most sense to pass it on to someone else.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 27, 2011 5:08 pm

John Snow wrote:Bru dropped SA because Cap was splitting into multiple books and he's got some non-comics stuff going and since (paraphrasing what he said on Word Balloon) it was the hardest book on his slate to write it made the most sense to pass it on to someone else.

Big talk from Bru on Cap:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=32527

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 pm

I tried to read the Iron Man book. But I have no interest in superhero stories right now. I just can't bring myself to read the words. The art in this book is amazing, however. I like the fight scenes at the beginning, even though it's devoid of backgrounds. Normally this technique makes the characters look as though they are floating in a colorless void. But somehow it works here and intensifies the action. I suspect it works so well because of the lush colors. They give the characters enough weight that they don't need background details to create a three-dimensional illusion. I also love the double-page spread at the end of this book. Gorgeous. The funny thing is that the interior art looks 100 times more dynamic than the cover art. Usually the opposite is the case.

There is a lot of Iron Fist in this issue and no signs of Iron Man, as far as I can tell. That seems odd to me.

STORY: Who knows? Who cares?
ART: 10
OVERALL: If you must buy this comic, buy it for the art. But save the three bucks and buy beer instead.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand