Advertisement

Review Group Week #276: Spencer Double Team!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #276: Spencer Double Team!

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Then I merely respond by challenging you to explain how the defense of the capital and citizenry, of any country on Earth, from old Norse pervs and Nazi mechas could ever, in any way, be construed as "jingoistic"? As I told you, the word has a specific meaning (and thus stigma attached to it), and it has no place in the discussion--it was not, to quote your original unredacted review, "somewhat the case" in any way or subject to questioning as such--unless of course one does not know the meaning of the word in the first place.

Now Farewell, My Lovely Bacon! 8)

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Then I merely respond by challenging you to explain how the defense of the capital and citizenry, of any country on Earth, from old Norse pervs and Nazi mechas could ever, in any way, be construed as "jingoistic"? As I told you, the word has a specific meaning (and thus stigma attached to it), and it has no place in the discussion--it was not, to quote your original unredacted review, "somewhat the case" in any way or subject to questioning as such--unless of course one does not know the meaning of the word in the first place.

Now Farewell, My Lovely Bacon! 8)

I'll just respond with the statement of -- I agree with you! You're trying to say that I thought this was a jingoistic issue when I've already stated that I found it wasn't.

You're still putting words in my mouth that I didn't say!

How am I doing in this argument by the way? Am I holding up my end to your satisfaction? :wink:

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:15 pm

I feel like I should add too that Washington, shown here leading the opposition to the invading forces in spirit and symbol, was also not even remotely "jingoistic". In fact, he helped to avoid a greater war with Great Britain and counseled against the U.S. becoming involved in wars in Europe later, as his farewell address will prove to any student of American history.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun May 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Secret Avengers #X vs Iron Man 2.0 #Y

I wouldn't call SA Jingoistic, but I would say it was like a ten year old mashed up Night at the Museum with Mr Smith Goes to Washington and was prepared to shoehorn it into the first comic that vaguely fit. Who cares about the Beast simply allowing an incredibly powerful mutant to die after spending so much time and effort trying to save as many as possible. Who cares that no-one in the comic seems even a little afraid, despite that being the hook of the badly photoshopped crossover we're lumped with here. The art is OK, but the faces aren't always 'good' or 'pleasing to look at' as is the style of the times. This was not good.

I liked Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker's Iron Fist. I liked it was more than any comic featuring Rhodey and evidently so did Nick Spencer because the first chance he gets the title character (Except he's not even that really is he?) gets shuffled to the side in favour of some awesome kung fu guys. So that makes two out of two Nick Spencer comics this week featuring him telling the stories he wants to regardless of the comic they should be appearing in. Also it was pretty dull for a comic featuring so many awesome kung fu guys. Art was probably Ok, but even the nicest drawing of some poo is still gonna be shit.

Combined score of 1 because I think maybe I am being harsh because I disliked these comics so much.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I feel like I should add too that Washington, shown here leading the opposition to the invading forces in spirit and symbol, was also not even remotely "jingoistic". In fact, he helped to avoid a greater war with Great Britain and counseled against the U.S. becoming involved in wars in Europe later, as his farewell address will prove to any student of American history.

Would this be a good point to try and change the argument to disguise the fact that I would be losing the original one? I think it would be. :-D

Washington was a traitor to Britain who should have been drawn and quartered! :smt013

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Forgive them, Saint Nick! They know not what they do!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Would this be a good point to try and change the argument to disguise the fact that I would be losing the original one? I think it would be. :-D

Washington was a traitor to Britain who should have been drawn and quartered! :smt013

I like the cut of your jib young Stephen.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:28 pm

If you foreigners keep this shit up there's not gonna be any resale value on these issues at all! :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:33 pm

NOOOOOOOO it's too late already. This is like my own personal Fear Itself! :-(

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun May 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I don't like fantasy because, usually, there are no rules to the magic. One guy is suddenly more powerful than others not because it makes any sense, but rather because the plot calls for it.

Also, I also don't like it because I just don't like it. It's a visceral thing. You're not going to convince me to give a genre a second chance that I have hated since childhood.

For the record, I don't like love stories either. That's another genre I'm not interested in.

:smt011

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Is always thinking in terms of genre a sort of fallacy on its own?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Zero wrote:
I like the cut of your jib young Stephen.

Why thank you. :D

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Also, speaking of genre classifications, what of Magical Realism?

Can Eli Katz so casually dismiss the works of Kafka, Marquez, Borges, Rushdie, Gogol, Gunter Grass, Robertson Davies, and so many others?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun May 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Also, speaking of genre classifications, what of Magical Realism?

Can Eli Katz so casually dismiss the works of Kafka, Marquez, Borges, Rushdie, Gogol, Gunter Grass, Robertson Davies, and so many others?

Kafka, Grass, and Borges are surreal. :P The rest I can live without.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun May 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Is always thinking in terms of genre a sort of fallacy on its own?

I like categories, stereotypes, and name calling.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand