Advertisement

Review Group Week #272: Walking Dead #84

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Re: Review Group Week #272: Walking Dead #84

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 am

I am on issue 80, sooo If this is anything like the recent issues it has to be pretty awesome so im going to take a shot in the dark and give it an 8.5! wooh!
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 546 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 pm

so we can rate an issue without even reading it now?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm

AMS wrote:so we can rate an issue without even reading it now?

The Hawk Method?

It's not without precedent.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Fri May 06, 2011 11:53 am

The Walking Dead #83

For as much as I regret to say it, I have not been a good boy when it comes to “The Walking Dead.” Sure, I know the premise of the book, and I’ve read the first collection of the title, but beyond that I have yet to catch up on the work, so there’s no fair way for me to do a detailed analysis of this title. With that being said, as a non-established reader, I found that there was plenty to commend with this book on a surface level

Writing wise, the plot itself (which I got a little bit more perspective of from reading the last issue) was really good, as it was quite easy to understand the danger and struggle the protagonists had to go through to beat the zombie hoard. Another thing that I liked is that it seems like this story is constantly shifting gears, thereby keeping readers on its toes. Of course, you don’t want to overkill the readers with “guess the swerve”, but “The Walking Dead” seems very good at keeping the suspense up from month to month, which is what more comics need. Overall, I have to commend Robert Kirkman for his versatility, as this book is most definitely a different animal from Invincible, and yet is still written with the same (if not greater) quality than his Superhero Opus.

For an Industry that has long advanced to color, amazing Black and White art is always a treat, and “The Walking Dead” is no exception. The art team obviously carries the load here, as the fight scene is main event of the book, and it’s due to strong depictions of what’s going on in this battle that delivers the bang that the issue needs to stand out. Another thing that I liked about the Black and White art is that it seems to represent how 2 dimensional the world has become in the wake of the Zombie Apocalypse, which adds just another layer to the proceedings. Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn definitely deserves the props they’ve gotten for their work thus far.

When you get right down to it, “The Walking Dead” #84 is a solidly written and drawn effort that honors the pedigree the series obviously has. While the new reader will not be able to appreciate everything that goes on here, they’ll still get a solidly written book that will be one of the better ones they read during the week. Not a bad deal for everyone involved.

Final Judgment: 8.25

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Sun May 08, 2011 2:28 pm

TWD #84
While not the best of the No Way Out Arc it still better than most comics in stores at the moment. The art was solid and Kirkman knows what to do. I just wish we could have found out if Carl is well you know....
8.7/10

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Any book that features children getting shot in the face deserves at least a 7.

Average score: 7.30

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand