Advertisement

Review Group Week #274: Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week #274: Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #1

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 18, 2011 5:52 am

Starlord wrote:
totally agree. McKeever is one of the most solid writers in the industry and I'd always rather read anything he does over say... that guy who writes Batman Incorporated. Now that guy is a hack. :roll: :smt026 :band :outhouse:

:roll:
I'd take badly written but interesting ideas from uneven writers over obvious paycheck comics from "solid" writers every day.

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 am

I still haven't read this yet, but I did finally score a copy of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Volume 2 OHC yesterday. 8)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 am

John Snow wrote:I still haven't read this yet, but I did finally score a copy of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Volume 2 OHC yesterday. 8)

Very nice. I've been considering getting those for the fiancee. Plus, it ensures that McKeever will stay off the streets.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed May 18, 2011 11:26 am

This was alright. The structure of the comic was a little disjointed; the art was nice, but not much else. I'm expecting more from these two. I will say that this is better than Fear Itself.

7* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am

Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #1

Much like the Avenger's Academy book, our cast here is padded with more than a few Initiative escapees and the shadow of that title hangs heavy over Youth in Revolt. While I still have no idea why Cap is assembling all the heroes (Aside from 'everyone is scared' but that can't be it right?) I understand their reluctance to be assembled after the last time they all ended up under one roof due to lingering Civil War grudges. They've mostly gone by now which is necessary for the telling of stories but still feels hastily swept away all this time later, which shows just how much scope there was in the CW concept that nobody ever decided to explore when they could show people punching each other. Where was I? Oh yeah. Youth in Revolt, while lacking the amount of Michael Cera I have come to associate with the name did come with enough event-baggage from the last few years to render it fairly unreadable to the casual passer-by despite featuring characters who were once supposed by be aimed at said casual individuals (I think? Wasn't Gravity meant to be all friendly for new folks?) so I'm not sure who this was for. Feels a lot like Sean McKeever was given an editorial mandate and told to run with it which worked soooo well on Teen Titans if I remember rightly. (Seriously, I have blocked out most of that run from my brain). It feels like a waste of talent and ink. Also Mike Norton is involved. He certainly does draw people doing things. Yup.

I feel like I overused my namesake score lately, but honestly this was a comic with no reason to exist weighed down by way too much obscurity to interest me and it came close. The one point is because I really liked Sentinel.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Just remember, you people hated Thor: The Mighty Avenger too. 10 (Sorry for making you read this, McKeever).

Average score: 5.33

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Please remember I didn't even review it, Sean McKeever, so you can't blame me.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Please remember I didn't even review it, Sean McKeever, so you can't blame me.

Same goes for me, Sean!
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 am

Fear Itself: Slingnitiative in Revolt #1

While this had some characters I genuinely like, the mish-mash of the event tie-in plotlines of Civil War and Fear Itself made it something of a tedious read. It was kind of cool to see where are the Initiative characters are since I bailed on that series when Slott did, but they were all a bit mopey. Slingers never appealed to me so having Prodigy getting most of the focus in this was meh. I guess considering the circumstances this was probably as good as it could have been. I hate that Marvel is currently in a mode where accountants are driving plotlines more than creative people like Sean McKeever.

Mike Norton is a comic book artist. You can tell in his pages he loves doing the superhero thing. It's not big or flashy, but it is suitably fun.

Story: 5
Art: 7
Overall: 6

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand