Advertisement

Review Group Week #278: Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Re: Review Group Week #278: Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman #1

Postby Zero » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 am

Punchy wrote:
Punchy-esque praise? I'm not the one who gave SHIELD 9/10!

It's one of my favourite comics, of course I gave it a 9. You've only started giving out marks below a six thanks to peer pressure!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 am

Zero wrote:
It's one of my favourite comics, of course I gave it a 9. You've only started giving out marks below a six thanks to peer pressure!

Nick Spencer is one of my favourite writers, I still gave Secret Avengers #13 a bad review. Just because something is a favourite doesn't mean it can't be bad once in a while.

I give the grades I believe in, I'm just generally more positive than most of you.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 am

Am I allowed back in the RG? I did review the last two books.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Am I allowed back in the RG? I did review the last two books.

silly man, you have always been one of us.

of course you have to go through the Starlord Initiation Night again. :twisted:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm not going to be participating this week because...well, do I really have to explain why?
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Am I allowed back in the RG? I did review the last two books.

Yes. I'll send myself an email to put you back on the list.

My bad.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:I'm not going to be participating this week because...well, do I really have to explain why?

YES! BY GOD YOU DO MAN! NOW!!!!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Starlord wrote:

YES! BY GOD YOU DO MAN! NOW!!!!

You'll never get anything past these lips!

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
You'll never get anything past these lips!

that my older cousin named Roy hasn't already done.

fixed.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman #1

So, despite the lame mini bringing him back, I ended up liking Barry Allen and was sad when I was told that his book was ending. Second time they've made me care about Flash and then pulled the rug out from under me. But surprise, surprise, Flashpoint, the big summer epic from DC is all Flash centric and abit of a mind/time fuck. I love that kind of stuff and am even hella excited for massive linewide reboot in September (assuming Flashpoint was done when they gave this information out, cause Kubert ain't exactly Mr. Timely).

Then there are the mini-series, an onslaught of alternate versions of characters, given the time screwiness of the main series. Honestly, it all stinks of House of M (except thus far not as boring). While some have been awesome, Citizen Cold, Frankenstein; some have been pretty craptacular... I couldn't even finish World of Flashpoint, that was some yawn inducing shit.

This brings us to this pick... well I already said there were two awesome ones released this week, however, Mammon the Fool Breaker (who I am unsure who is) picked Aquaman for some fucked up reason. First of all, Aquaman is lame. Second off, Aquaman is lame. Thirdly, evil Aquaman is even more lame.

There are some neat plot points here like when his wife (whose name escapes me) explains why the citizens of Atlantis are so pissed off. However, the story format, while similar to others in this line, is near incomprehensible, mostly because I am unsure who everyone is and as usual with a book like this (read Fan Fodder)... I am given no reason to care. Obviously there was some kind of double cross, YAWN!!!

To make matters worse, the big teaser for next issue is "THE SECRET ORIGIN OF EMPEROR AQUAMAN"? For reals? WHO THE FUCK CARES? God dammit DC, here you are in the middle of one of the most exciting experiments in the big two in ages and you return to you must unliked well... fuck off, assholes.

The art is servicable. To be honest, I don't recall liking it or disliking it, so it must be average.

Overall

Story 0
Art 3

Total 3.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm

That was literally the greatest comic I've ever read. It may even surpass Top 10 as my favorite comic of all time. The art of course is masterful but obviously that was expected since Tony Bedard couldn't write a convoluted/trite/ script if he even tried. I look back at some of the books we've "liked" over the years and this book easily surpasses stories like 4 eyes, nextwave and of course Blackest Night. This is just a masterful comic in a truly unique story that will be remembered how it changed the industry and the way we read and enjoy comics.

my real score is 4. Pretty much read that review and do the opposite
Last edited by guitarsmashley on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:That was literally the greatest comic I've ever read. It may even surpass Top 10 as my favorite comic of all time. The art of course is masterful but obviously that was expected since Tony Bedard couldn't write a convoluted/trite/ script if he even tried. I look back at some of the books we've "liked" over the years and this book easily surpasses stories like 4 eyes, nextwave and of course Blackest Night. This is just a masterful comic in a truly unique story that will be remembered how it changed the industry and the way we read and enjoy comics.

What the fuck?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Thus endeth the Review Group.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:What the fuck?

What? This book will be the book we point to in 40 years as the book that changed everything.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post

Postby The Juan Percenter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:13 pm

I was thinking of picking this up but will now pass. Thanks for saving me $2.99 everyone!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand