Tuesday, May 24, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week #278: Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Eli Katz wrote:
I like it. I'd even recommend it. I just wish some of the characters were stronger, more complex. It's a personal taste thing.

The stories are fun and the historical settings are rich. And the art has been excellent, no matter which artist has worked on the book.

I would agree that it is stronger in mood and concept than character. Often times things are. I also really love Fables which, initially, is driven by the reader's preconceptions about the characters in the book.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:34 pm

The next Review Group pick is...?
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:37 pm

GLX wrote:The next Review Group pick is...?

Northlanders
User avatar

SilverPhoenix

Staff Writer

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:45 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Northlanders


Thank God. :-D :-D
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Northlanders


Hopefully my LCS has a copy of it for me to buy.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Hopefully my LCS has a copy of it for me to buy.


I'd send you one but your postmen are lazy and shiftless.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I'd send you one but your postmen are lazy and shiftless.


My father was a postman. :smt013
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
My father was a postman. :smt013


Explains a lot, actually.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Explains a lot, actually.


Why you. :smt019
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:43 pm

:groucho:
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Victorian Squid wrote::groucho:


Post this! :smt097

:P :wink:
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

thefourthman wrote:I would agree that it is stronger in mood and concept than character. Often times things are. I also really love Fables which, initially, is driven by the reader's preconceptions about the characters in the book.

That's why I'm such a fan of Scalped. Aaron makes sure that even secondary characters are fully developed and given hidden motivations. The book is amazing because it balances plot twists and violence with careful characterization.

Few books are like that. Only the best superhero runs manage to accomplish this balance. The Lee-Conway-Wein years on AMS come to mind, as well as Bru's run on Captain America.
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 am

Emperor Aquaman wasn't a bad comic. It wasn't a good one either. 6 for me.

Average score: 4.48
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:06 am

Eli Katz wrote:That's why I'm such a fan of Scalped. Aaron makes sure that even secondary characters are fully developed and given hidden motivations. The book is amazing because it balances plot twists and violence with careful characterization.

Few books are like that. Only the best superhero runs manage to accomplish this balance. The Lee-Conway-Wein years on AMS come to mind, as well as Bru's run on Captain America.


Is it fair to compare a book on only 15 issues to one with nearly 50? A lot of the characters in Scalped remained pretty undeveloped for a long time, like Shunka for example, until his 2-issue arc, he seemed like a generic heavy, but then we found out thathe's gay and explore all the issues surrounding that, and suddenly he's a whole new character. It's the same with Nitz, and Catcher. I'm not saying AV will definitely become as nuanced and deep as Scalped, because very few comics are, but it may do so in time, or at least become deeper than it is.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 am

Punchy wrote:
Is it fair to compare a book on only 15 issues to one with nearly 50? A lot of the characters in Scalped remained pretty undeveloped for a long time, like Shunka for example, until his 2-issue arc, he seemed like a generic heavy, but then we found out thathe's gay and explore all the issues surrounding that, and suddenly he's a whole new character. It's the same with Nitz, and Catcher. I'm not saying AV will definitely become as nuanced and deep as Scalped, because very few comics are, but it may do so in time, or at least become deeper than it is.


I gosh darn loved those Shunka issues. Also the old couple's story from around that time too.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Raze, Yahoo [Bot] and 56 guests