Advertisement

Review Group Week #282: Jonah Hex #69

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week #282: Jonah Hex #69

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Jonah Hex #69

First off, the art in this is great. Lemire is Lemire and he makes Hex his own. Lemire's layouts and storytelling are so strong, this could have been a silent issue and you still would have gotten the point as long as you knew going into it that the man is Hex's father.

The story? Eh, I dunno. This isn't exactly an enjoyable read, but that's not to say it's bad either. The first couple of issues of Hex that I read his cold-hearted demeanor was a novelty, now it's just a grind. Once you understand the character of Hex, you always know how whatever issue you're reading is going to end which I suppose just makes the middle stuff all the more important. The middle stuff here is classic Hex, but it's also a hell of a bummer.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Overall: 9

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm

This is my very first issue of Jonah Hex and I was treated to some awesome art. I love Lemire's style and it really seemed to fit well with the books tone. I knew going in that Hex was a hard man, but his actions at the end were rather extreme. This was definitly not your typical take on son meets father after years of absence story, it was unique and entertaining. That said I don't know if I would read this character monthly.

Another bonus is that this is a huge improvement over the previous work from this writer that I've read.

Story 7:

overall 8

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:awesome pick Punchy.

If I have a chance to run out to the other shop this week (or see it somewhere else) I will try to grab that there Jonah Hex.

Punchy?!

You Jerk!!!! :smt011

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:You mean you aren't GLX? :shock:

You're still a jerk. :smt011

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:11 pm

I'll be picking up my issue tomorrow. I should have my review up sometime this weekend.

Oh, and Forthy -- you're a jerk. :smt013

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 90 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm

what the hell is the canadian on about?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 90 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Jonah Hex #69

At the beginning of the second chapter of this comic, there is a panel of the rag tag band formed in the first chapter riding out to do their task. That panel is everything I love about Lemiere, there is more emotion and story telling in that simple, otherwise banal, almost clichéd shot, then most comics on the shelves. He is evoking the western mythos and creating a scene, a unique hue even to his own vision through the art, it is breath taking in its scope and minimalist in its execution.

The choices the guy makes are unbelievable. Most artists obscure the scarred side of Hex’s face, the old what you imagine it to be like is worse than reality angle. Here, Lemiere obscures the good side of the face calling attention to the grotesque part of the bounty hunter’s countenance. As a result, you get inside the characters heads. You realize that a sane person would either avoid his face altogether or stare at it. Gaping at the reality that is Hex’s face.

The story is awesome. I don’t know, maybe you can have too much of a good thing or a solid thing and that is why I don’t follow the book on a regular basis, but the occasional issue with the superstar artist is always a surprise.

Here we have a Boy Named Sue through a filter of Sterling and Leone. The interesting thing is using Hex to get past the bluff of the old man’s exterior to break him down and apologize not only for what he did to others, but to himself, it is an interesting character study handled deftly.

As good as the script is here, the real star and the obvious talent is the artist. He is a real artist working among ad print guys. My biggest fear is that we will lose him to “real art” like Jean. As a result, I will cherish every moment we get with him and secretly wish for more.

Story - 4
Art - 5
Overall - 9

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Review of this tomorrow, forgot to pick it up while I was at the store but I'm dying to read it

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 pm

This is also my first issue of Jonah Hex after claiming for years I'd finally pick it up. Everything said about the series is epitomized: strong pacing, interesting characters, intriguing setting, and a complete story wrapped in 22 pages. I wish I knew more of the story behind Jonah's family dynamics, but enough is provided for me to appreciate the father-son exchange. They're both staring at fun-house mirrors and neither likes the fact They're a couple of irredeemable SOBs who realize there's no point at reconciliation, just closure. Jonah's burial and beer-piss salute was a damn fitting end.

The art is great. It clearly tells the story and is dark, thick, and unclean, perfect for this type of title. I've always admired Lemire and I pray he's a big part of DCnU.

Story - 8/10
Art - 8/10
Overall - 8/10

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:what the hell is the canadian on about?

Know know damn well what you did.

Jerk. :smt011

:P :wink:
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:53 am

Crap! My LCS didn't have any copies of Jonah Hex, so I can't review it :(

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:34 pm

This was, simply put, one of the best, and perhaps THE best, single issues I've read all year. From the revelation about who the Old Desert Rat was, to every point of the conversation between Jonah and his father, to the burial scene at the end, I was enthralled at every moment. The burial in particular was very well done. Without the use of any word or narration, the reader can still so easily tell what is going through Jonah's head, "I hated him, but the bastard was still my father damn it."

Just a great, great issue and very deserving of the 10 out of 10 I'm giving it.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Jonah Hex #69

I'm not sure why people were upset about the story. This story was just like all their others, some of the best work DC is putting out right now. The art though really rose to the occasion and was some of the best I've seen in this title in ages. Right up there with Cooke.

Story: 9
Final Score: 9.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 351 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:56 pm

I'll be reading and reviewing or tomorrow.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:06 am

Just realised my name vanished from the list...it was between john snow and fourthy last week =/

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand