Advertisement

Review Group Week #282: Jonah Hex #69

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Re: Review Group Week #282: Jonah Hex #69

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:09 am

This issue did a lot of things very well. Shifting the point of view is really tricky, and is rarely done well, but somehow it worked here. The fact that Jonah rode in on the aftermath of the big gunfight (which took place off-panel) was pretty great, and Lemire's layout for that page rocked it. That, along with the page with Desert Rat's "apology" were great artistic flourishes by Lemire, to the point that you can almost forgive him for doing a bad job of defining the space of the bar in the first couple of pages. That, and the fact that the four jerks who were after the gold looked like zombies with their chalk white skin were really the only problems with the art. The writing was just about flawless, though.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 pm

after the crap we put up with in this group it's nice to read a perfect comic.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I love the concept of this story, Jonah confronting his wounded father as the buzzards circle. I love the idea of a bitter son watching his father die slowly. I love the Oedipal overtones and the revenge fantasy. I love one-and-done issues. I love that this particular issue is dialogue heavy. I love Palmiotti and Gray's work on this series in general and on this issue in particular. And I especially love Jeff Lemire's art. His version of Jonah Hex is, officially, the best one ever. Just a mean, ugly looking son of a gun. Lemire makes him into a truly terrifying freak.

STORY: 9.5
ART: 10
OVERALL: 9.75

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 pm

GLX wrote:Red Wing #1 is next week's pick.

I just noticed this. For the record, I'll get this if I can, but my LCS is notorious when it come to not getting stuff that isn't published by either Marvel or DC.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:47 am

Jonah Hex #69 - 'The Old Man' - Gray, Palmiotti and Lemire

Story - Jonah Hex is a series that has often disappointed me. I was very excited for it when it was first announced, there was that amazing Frank Quitely, and it was DC doing a book that wasn't superheroes, I had to support it. But then it came out, and I found it very dissatisfying. The art from Luke Ross was strong, but the decision to do only 1-issue storylines was, I felt, misguided, and each issue felt rushed, with bad endings. Out of the first 12 issues, pretty much every story could have done with being 2 issues. So I dropped it. It was a good idea to have a Western series, but this take wasn't for me.

The only issues I picked up later were ones illustrated by artists who I loved, two from Darwyn Cooke and one from JH Williams, and whilst I enjoyed these issues for their art, the same storytelling problems remained, they weren't satisfying single issue stories (the second Cooke issue, #50 benefited from being double-sized, but it wasn't enough) and left me with no desire to start buying the book regularly again. So when it was announced that Jeff Lemire would be drawing an issue, I expected it to be the same as before, an issue with great art, with a disappointing story.

And it was, until Jonah Hex's dad showed up.

This issue started off in a pretty standard way, we had a helpless old codger set up, and some bad guys, and then Hex in the middle, I felt that I could predict exactly what would go down. But then Gray and Palmiotti pull the rug out from under me, have the bad guys killed before Hex even gets there, and has the old codger revealed as Hex's dad.

What? Jonah Hex isn't supposed to have a dad! He's the kind of loner archetype bad-ass that doesn't have a father. Does Han Solo have a dad? Does Dirty Harry? Does any Clint Eastwood character? Of course all these characters have fathers, but you never see them interact, it doesn't fit the macho hero image. Which is why this issue was so good. You don't expect to see a legendary hard-ass like Hex to even have a father, let alone for him to have a heart to heart with him (sort of). The whole conversation with Papa Hex and Jonah was just gripping, giving us a lot of insight into who Hex is, and making the character much deeper than he was before. This issue was something you're supposed to think shouldn't happen, but really, it had to happen. With the done-in-one nature of this series, I hesitate to say that Gray and Palmiotti have changed Hex here, but I hope this issue will reverberate throughout future issues. This issue has done what other issues of Jonah Hex haven't done, I'm going to pick up All-Star Western.

Art - Jeff Lemire is one of my favourite artists in comics today, his style is just so unique, and lends his books such a weird aura and tone. At first I was a bit freaked out about him drawing a story he didn't write, but it still worked. His take on Hex is one of the best I've seen, just terrifying, the scar has never looked so good (or bad). It was good also that some of the more experimental layouts from Sweet Tooth crept into this issue too. Whilst I prefer Lemire to draw his own projects, if he ever wants to do a Hex story again, DC should let him, as he is perfect.

Best Line - 'No, there won't'

8/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 am

Jonah Hex's dad was in the WHOLE comic, so it was perfect from the get go? :smt017

:wink:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
:lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 am

We didn't know he was Jonah's dad until about halfway through, is my point, he was just some stereotypical old man up until then.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:30 pm

So what are we reading this week?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Starlord wrote:So what are we reading this week?

Red Wing #1 from Image

Thank you Troy for the sig

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Did I approve that? :smt017

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 219 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Just realised my name vanished from the list...it was between john snow and fourthy last week =/

Double checked, last review was Emperor Aquaman so I should still have a week or two before getting my name colored red :smt102

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm

I didn't catch the Emperor Aquaman review. I'll update the list.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 pm

This bi-weekly shipping is for the birds. I won't have the book until NEXT Monday :-(

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry the review is late but

While I enjoyed Jonah Hex #69 I couldn't help but think Lemire's art didn't fit...at least for this kind of story. Besides that I thought it was great but that they could have gotten a better artist.

7.0/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Daringd wrote:Sorry the review is late but

While I enjoyed Jonah Hex #69 I couldn't help but think Lemire's art didn't fit...at least for this kind of story. Besides that I thought it was great but that they could have gotten a better artist.

7.0/10

I think you might should restate that final sentence. Some of us might have to burn down your, well screw it, burn you down.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand